Vikings

• 7 months later...

Good news, Vikings fans. :)

Vikings season five part two will begin on SBS with a double episode on Thursday 6 December at 8:30pm.

From then, new episodes will air on Thursdays at 9:30pm, fast-tracked from the US.

After they air, all episodes will be available to stream at SBS On Demand

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing how the picture quality goes on SBS with this series.   Series 4 on Prime looks stunning whereas the previous season on SBS HD was a little disappointing. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Just a reminder that Vikings starts up again tonight with a double episode beginning at 8.30 on SBS.

I enjoyed it. Not like the height of the Ragnar days but some interesting stories now opening up just the same.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here in France we got see the first two seasons for free and then it went to Canal + which I refuse to cough up for, I speak reasonable French but I detest dubbing and the French don't do sub titles, that's how I learnt to speak Dutch when I lived and worked there, they and the Flemish sub title all foreign language programmes. 

Nothing annoys me more than seeing an historical programme which isn't authentic in it's presentation - I used to chew up history books for breakfast. The Vikings passes that test easily, it also helps to have genuine Norse actors as well as English who are part Viking anyway, very few 'English' are actually descended from north German Engli.

I wonder if this series will end in historical fact - the wholesale slaughter at Stamford Bridge in Yorkshire of Harald Hadrada and virtually his entire army by Harold Godwinson and his housecarls, professional soldiers of Danish origin. Reason, the day was hot and they had taken off their heavy  armour which they had left on their ships. This slaughter was delayed for a time by a 'berserker' who stood on the bridge at Stamford. It was a very narrow bridge that only allowed two men to advance side by side. He butchered maybe 40  housecarls before  one had the sense to wade into the water and speared the berserker from underneath. From that time the Norse Viking were finished as a force. It's ironic that Harold Godwinson was very unlucky  a few days later to lose at Senlac Ridge to William of Norsemanland (Normandy) - so it goes.

It's worth looking up all about the berserkers. They each chose an animal persona - the wolf, the bear. Before battle they would make and drink  a 'beer' containing wild marijauna (it grows all over the planet) and magic mushrooms, work themselves up into a frenzy, they were very hard to kill and scared the **** out of their enemies.

• 4 months later...

I tried watching when it first aired, got bored with the first episode and gave up.

Last week we started from the beginning on Netflix, have now watched the first 8 episodes and am hooked, but I can't binge watch anything.

I have a lot of catching up to do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...