active 2 way speaker using FaitalPro HF144 and Lorantz C390X B1 continued...

zog

zog,

the last measurements with all settings off except the xover and freq shaping for high freq?

Yes, while I'm in a screenshot mood I'll paste the "active" screens, all the rest per channel dead flat and zerod out.

post-113607-0-95046200-1395574331_thumb.

post-113607-0-93704000-1395574354_thumb.

Would be nice if miniDSP had a way to print all this stuff in an at a glance report, the XML file is a tad unreadable.

I'm using the 2.1 advanced plugin, but I use it in stereo LF mode..

Smoothing the hell out of everything seems to be guilding the lily sometimes

No not suggesting smoothing.... Just reducing reflections and gating correctly.   Then, not taking any more measurements, unless it is for checks and balances.    Like I said, that perhaps all a bit down the track.

Edited by davewantsmoore
  • Like 1

cool. so whats your subjective opinion on the sound?

My older config and yours are quite close in sound - both sound good. I'd say yours a tad lusher/thicker in sound and my older "evolved with a succession of tweaks" config a bit more cleaner and analytical.

Just listening now with a few dB off the tweeter to counter the aforementioned harshness on electric guitar. Dialogue on Thai Variety shows on youtube also rendered very clearly :-)

One possible factor here (and I know there are others!) could be (IMHO) the compression driver sounds cleaner than the Lorantz woofer and the older config crosses over into it lower and steeper...

My older config and yours are quite close in sound - both sound good. I'd say yours a tad lusher/thicker in sound and my older "evolved with a succession of tweaks" config a bit more cleaner and analytical.

Just listening now with a few dB off the tweeter to counter the aforementioned harshness on electric guitar. Dialogue on Thai Variety shows on youtube also rendered very clearly :-)

One possible factor here (and I know there are others!) could be (IMHO) the compression driver sounds cleaner than the Lorantz woofer and the older config crosses over into it lower and steeper...

i wish this was the case, but im not sure such a good idea to run them lower than 800hz.

although your measured fs indicated around 400hz.

ill try to simulate around 600hz

ok good to hear, although im expecting an increase of coherency.

how do you listen to

them? i mean do you toed them in?

They slightly only toed in like I described in post #5, which which I now realise bad  description as the approx 22 deg angle I describe there is relative to the listening position to perpendicular from the drivers.

If being flat against the wall is zero, they would be toed inward about 10 degrees. I have moved them off the wall a bit more to about 14cm since the first pics.

i wish this was the case, but im not sure such a good idea to run them lower than 800hz.

although your measured fs indicated around 400hz.

ill try to simulate around 600hz

The compression drivers themselves are reported to be able to run very low for home hifi use (reading about the very similar FaitalPro HF140  used in Cornscalas etc), I don't think I've done thorough measurements with the XT1464, though just from casual use it seems fine running lower than the 800hz the specs mention (for pro use?) - yet again, proper measurements outside will shed light here.

other stuff:

Just noting here for future reference an ARTA case study with the XT1464 horn, in German:

http://www.artalabs.hr/AppNotes/PAF212_Dokumentation_ARTA_User_Case_Study.pdf

includes directivity heat map for the XT1464 which indicates the WG is OK lower than 800hz

A french DIY project in the same ballpark (but JBL woofer)

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/diy-enceintes/hr-jbl-2226-cp755ti-xt1464-t29991591.html

( like the natty little horn holder things he has)

currently skiming the thread in translated mode in chromium browser...

Another active system using the same horn with AE woofers for a retro/modern type thing:

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1660

I found this link from the (der!) minidsp site that has the "missing link"

http://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/loudspeaker-measurements

it mentions a "secret sauce" GUI component : "hover the mouse over the display and select the "%FS" dropdown" I wasnt aware of.. once I selected this it all starts acting how I've seen it behave in HolmImpulse, etc..

...now I feel I can drag this lot outdoors, perhaps tomorrow if the weather is good.

Did some outdoors not long ago, will post shortly....

edit: here they are:

I gated at 5ms, these are measured outdoors with the speaker lifted up on milk crates to try and increase distance from the ground. Still not completely happy with these as there was some kind of hole @ 437Hz which I'm not sure what it was.

acd2_woofer_only_at_120cm_onaxis_with_CD-outdoors-gate5.txt

acd2_CD_only_at_120cm_onaxis_with_CD-outdoors-gate5.txt

acd2_CD_and_woofer_at_120cm_onaxis_with_CD-outdoors-gate5.txt

acd2_woofer_nearfield-2cm-outdoors-nogate.txt

I dont have a huge amount of room outside but it is bigger than the loungeroom, and I hoped the diagonal placement in the yard pointed it away from the brick walls.. a few fruit trees about but I'm hoping their foliage diffused reflections..

post-113607-0-23251200-1396007646_thumb.

Hitech directional measurement rig

post-113607-0-06115700-1396007731_thumb.

I made some 0-45 degrees directivity plots @ 2M, I'll post those, both raw drivers (No EQ), my and with mine and Henry's configs added.

Edited by zog

And the graphs.. I have chosen the scales to try and match the ones in the first post, though its not quite apples with apples as the earlier ones were done with some miniDSP EQ in place for the compression driver only measurements, and this time I could only go to 45 degrees instead of 60 due to the extra size of speaker box covering the scales.

The woofer graph I dropped the lower range a bit down as it was being truncated @ 30Hz.

All smoothed @ 12/octave, taken at 2M distance on axis, with the mic up high pointed at the middle of the waveguide.

compression driver and waveguide, no EQ or crossover except the 76uF compression cap:

post-113607-0-21117800-1396009512_thumb.

Lorantz woofer. no eq or crossover

post-113607-0-95001800-1396009546_thumb.

Henry's second config:

post-113607-0-92931600-1396009623_thumb.

The rough and ready one I have been using, crosses @ 600hz

post-113607-0-25619800-1396009658_thumb.

Even though these are outdoors I'm still getting some reflections from nearby objects, but the measurements are what they are..

zog,

i prefer you apply gating, this measurements are similar to last time, it doesnt work for xover design.

nevermind, i see that you have gating.

cheers

henry

Edited by henry218

zog,

i prefer you apply gating, this measurements are similar to last time, it doesnt work for xover design.

nevermind, i see that you have gating.

cheers

henry

If I export the impulse response or wav or some other format (or even just the REW mdat saved session file) can I get it to you in a raw enough way that you can gate as you see fit?

Anyway I can gate at another time if 5msec isnt suitable, or even gate and re-upload the original indoor measurements I provided.

the last measurements files was unusable for some reasons, i can see in my omnimic software but cant process it on PCD, Phase extractor and Freq blender.

Aha.. I'd copied these over to my Linux box to work on in the Linux version of REW... Unix text files not MS-DOS...

here they are again, converted...

acd2_woofer_only_at_120cm_onaxis_with_CD-outdoors-gate5.txt

acd2_CD_only_at_120cm_onaxis_with_CD-outdoors-gate5.txt

acd2_CD_and_woofer_at_120cm_onaxis_with_CD-outdoors-gate5.txt

acd2_woofer_nearfield-2cm-outdoors-nogate.txt

If I export the impulse response or wav or some other format (or even just the REW mdat saved session file) can I get it to you in a raw enough way that you can gate as you see fit?

Anyway I can gate at another time if 5msec isnt suitable, or even gate and re-upload the original indoor measurements I provided.

Gate the measurement so it is as long as possible without including any reflected sound    :thumb:

Or post impulse/rew, and then people can work with it themselves.

zog,

the tweeter and nearfield woofer measurements are good, but the woofer farfield have some issues on 420hz (sharp dip).

i did the xo, you can have a go with this

W : BW 6db @200hz

T : BW 6db @1500hz with EQ @1650hz -3db Q:1

TF @ 680hz, with approximate 30db null.

this should get you started for lower point xo and good phase alignment.

this xo didnt address the 420hz dip which i think its a measurements artifact

cheers

Henry

Edited by henry218

Yes the 420 Hz dip I think is an artifact from it being up on the crates/turntable, I took it down and it was gone.

If possible you would use near field data to avoid these issues.

.... but near field data is only valid up until the frequency = 10950 divided by the speaker (or baffle) width in centimetres.

This means that above that frequency (quite low)... you need to make proper free field measurements away from boundaries  (ie.  no reflections)

These are the trials of measuring large woofers   :-(

• Like 1

zog,

try this, it may be better than the last one (as i omitted the 420hz dip ; as you confirmed to me that it was an artifact)

W : BW 18db (3rd order) @350hz

T  : BW 12db (2nd order)  @700hz INVERTED (assuming you supplied me with all correct polarity @ measurements - check it with measurements after applying the xo)

EQ @1650hz -3 to -4db to taste :P Q: 0.8

cheers

Henry

Edited by henry218
  • Like 1

here is another one

W : BW 18db (3rd order) @450hz

T  : BW 12db (2nd order)  @800hz INVERTED (assuming you supplied me with all correct polarity @ measurements - check it with measurements after applying the xo)

EQ @1650hz -3 to -4db to taste  :P Q: 0.8

play with this 3, let me know which sounds best, based on the sim there's one that have the best phase alignment.

• Like 1