tuyen

JBL 43xx series speakers - Kenrick Sound

Great thread Tuyen, these sort of speaker really interest me. 

I am in the same situation with many of these owners in that perhaps my room is too small to adequately own these sort of speakers?   

@ tuyen, LOL in that last shot, the listening seat seems to be bewteen the speakers?! I'm with Joz on this! :P

hi joz,  are you saying they wouldn't sound good in the photos of the setups above?    the owners chooseing them just for the status and not actual sonic performance?

Well yes, I am. :) sorry!

These poor buggers have bought the right gear to impress their peers with, but their system will never perform to its optimum.

Like buying a Lamborghini Aventador which will impress all your buddies and everyone that sees you with it will make you feel good , but then never taking it anywhere other than around the block?

The gear is great but you bought the wrong thing for the job!

These speakers were made for big the American home (spacious), not for London,HongKong or Tokyo apartments.

Sure EQ can help things alomg but its not a miracle cure for all audio ailments.

We all know about wall boundaries and speaker interaction around here I think?

Sure they probably sound a bit special because they have certain traits,but just because they are JBL doesn't make them exempt from any laws of physics.

Interesting speakers but in a small room it seems a bit of Overkill.

Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious.

These speakers were made for big the American home (spacious), not for London,HongKong or Tokyo apartments.

Actually; these speakers were primarily made for mid field monitoring in moderately large American studio control rooms.  They can work well in less than huge rooms.  But you're right; most of those rooms are too small and narrow and the speakers are set up so they might as well be in a mono configuration.

Edited by Gruffnutz

Following taken from the Placement instructions from the User Manual of the JBL 4350 units, 

"for optimum source localization within the stereo image, a pair of 4350s should be arranged so that the listening position is centered between the two systems and no more than 30degrees off-axis horizontally (or 15degrees vertically) from either unit...  A minimum distance of 2.5 meters (8 feet) should be maintained between the 4350 and the listener."

So really, the most of those setups in the photos above do seem to be within placement specs written by JBL ?     I mean, would 2.5m from a speaker considered 'near-field'  ?

2uesok2.jpg53mnw9.jpg

Photo from Ocean Mastering Studios  with later generation JBL monitors  at relatively near/mid field setup.

21ni45t.jpg

More photos of other setups for your viewing pleasure :)

2viqn7o.jpg

When 1 pair is not enough, stack them!

2qin69f.jpg

iypstg.jpg

Edited by tuyen

Love the pic's Tuyen, keep 'em coming! 

IMHO a big difference between large high efficiency speakers and large low efficiency "modern" speakers in a medium-small sized room, and much of the prejudice comes from those with experience only of the latter...

I reckon they'd sound great  :cool:

Love the pic's Tuyen, keep 'em coming! 

searched ebay for some jbl's yet flemo ;)  ;)  ;)   just what pink floyd needs 

Edited by kajak12

searched ebay for some jbl's yet flemo ;)  ;)  ;)   just what pink floyd needs 

I already know where there's a set! :)