Sign in to follow this  
Luc

The Wood Thread.

We will be needing photos of this Grumpy!

Sure will.

Probably won't start things rolling t'ill next week and I'll start a new thread with pics when there is something to show.

(I have the block of Redwood which is 500mm x 450mm x 80mm , kindly donated by ex SNA'r Seano)

That is a big chunk mate! Nice work!

Oh so a related question of sorts to Grumpys- Having just bought a 2hp timber lathe, I am looking at things to do with it to practice perfecting my operation and use of it. I also have some fairly hefty chunks of Redgum and was wondering before I try sticking one in the lathe, how does it turn up? Is it too hard to work with? Are there any inherent difficulties turning Redgum?

Oh so a related question of sorts to Grumpys- Having just bought a 2hp timber lathe, I am looking at things to do with it to practice perfecting my operation and use of it. I also have some fairly hefty chunks of Redgum and was wondering before I try sticking one in the lathe, how does it turn up? Is it too hard to work with? Are there any inherent difficulties turning Redgum?

Oooh!! Wood turntable weights maybe???

The redgum I have is really old sleeper. My dad has had them in his garage for as long as I can remember. They have bedn sitting probably for at least 35 years unused. Turntable weights? Sure why not? When i get the hang of this lathe business.

Enlightening read jaspert. Thanks for sharing.

Great thread guys. There are some very good craftsman amongst us.

wish I had the time to play with wood!!!

Anyone here want to reveneer my Thiels????

Cheers.

Hi sean,

If you PM me some details, or a phone number I'd be happy to do a" feasability study'. I'm guessing these are speaker boxes you are talking about.

Cheers Larry.

G'day Woodys

At work we've been laying floors out of American Oak, 200mm x 19mm. I've a whole stack of off cuts varying in length from 450mm to approx 1.6 m total LM I'm guessing would be about 6m. There should be more to come in the next few weeks..

We've also been building the stair treads out of 40mm x 240mm American Oak these lengths vary between 450mm and 500mm I suppose there would be about 10 to 15 lengths.With more to come over the next few weeks.

They would be ideal for you guys, I'm happy to drop them of at the post office for the interstater's if you pay for the postage.

For those locals in Sydney you can pick it up at my storage shed at Brookvale or in Belrose.

Hope you guys can find a project for them other wise I'm going to have trash them as I can't spare the storage space.

I had a stack load more stashed but the d i c k head  rubbish removal guys chucked out about  6 meters before one of the other chippy's pulled them up.

post-107699-0-75115200-1366704392_thumb.

post-107699-0-05517200-1366704474_thumb.

Edited by MC240

Hi MC240,

Kudos to you for your offer. It would be a great shame for this timber  to go to waste. American oak is beautiful timber , so I hope someone takes advantage of your efforts. Those stair tread offcuts would probably make a nice turntable base amongst other things. My workshop is full of timber so I will leave it to others.

Cheers Larry., 

Hope Damo sees this MC, that might be just what he needs for his Sansui 101 refurb.

And my mind starts to think.......

Ok so recently I bought a lathe, and then admitted to having some redgum offcuts in my possession. The combination of these two facts led to my arm being twisted  :P and the idea of turntable weights put in my head. (Thanks Linc).

(And you will have to excuse the iPhoto quality)

I started out with this:

1-01_zps08c1de05.jpg

Got that to this:

1-03_zpse552401e.jpg

Thats a sap line in the timber, not a crack.

And from that, these are my first two attempts. One coat of Danish oil down, at least one more to go:

IMG_7701_zps42289c22.jpg

IMG_7702_zpsf9075776.jpg

Looking good mate! Very nice work.

Agree! nice work shaky - danish oil hey?

Thanks Grumpy. Taking mental notes are you? :-)

Lots of sanding as usual to get the manmade imperfections out (well, most of them) but worth it. That one coat of oil has done wonders already. Good luck with your plinth.

Edited by shaky

Nice work Shaky. Don't hesitate to ask if you want any timber as I have access to plenty of odd bits+pieces. Actually that reminds me...I've got a bit of 120 year old olive tree. Never seen it before, great grain.

Olive tree would have a tight interesting grain. Nice!

Olive tree would have a tight interesting grain. Nice!

I'll post a pic of the bit I've got. A bit of a wet and gee it shines. One of the benefits of being in the Rape!Pillage!Destruction! business... :lol:

Luc, thanks so much for the offer. I may have to take you up on it at some point.

Actually, a pm might be in order.

I got 4 pieces of this today:

IMG_7834_zps0ddbf524.jpg

Aerican Oak. I have grand plans for some baffles with them. :)

A big thankyou to Paul (MC240) for this.  :thumb:

Mmmmmmmm nice!