Sign in to follow this  
Luc

The Wood Thread.

Guest guru
35 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Bryan.  I will seek it out (when I said 'oil' - I was thinking of vegetable oil! :lol: )

Andy

Goes rancid and stinks. Check out who sells Livos on line and be prepared for the price but will give you a perfect finish if you put a little work into the prep. I will show you big slab of cedar I use at the shows in October that I finished with it. About 10 coats to get the right build but as it's basically dry in 20 minutes, 10 coats can be done in 3 days easy. If the surface is ever scratched, just give it another coat and its redone.

Ikea have a couple of products. I have the one in the plastic container.

SKYDD Wood treatment oil, indoor use IKEA The oil prolongs the life of kitchen accessories in untreated wood.

and also this

BEHANDLA Wood treatment oil, indoor use IKEA Protects wood on the surface and deep into the fibre, and gives it a nice sheen.

Cheers

SImon

Going to make an isolation platform out of recycled timber or newly milled paddock timber I have access to and I was wondering if anyone has some links and or recommendations for isolation feet?

43 minutes ago, Luc said:

Going to make an isolation platform out of recycled timber or newly milled paddock timber I have access to and I was wondering if anyone has some links and or recommendations for isolation feet?

I think you won't get any better performance from commercial "isolation feet" than the following, Luc:

1.  springs

2.  squash balls sitting in milk carton tops (to stop them rolling around).

3.  a partially-inflated wheelbarrow tyre inner tube.

Unless you use "roller bearings" (for a different style of 'isolation').

Andy

Edited by andyr

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Unless you use "roller bearings" (for a different style of 'isolation').

I have some isolation feet with a single bearing held in a footed cup they're great bit's of machining but not what I want for this project neither are squash balls or a tube. No,  they've got to be affixed to the timber slab, probably pointy and perhaps with their own saucer for the pointy ends to reside in(not sure yet. It's in the embryonic stage at the moment Andy.

Just something to fiddle with in my near completed  Mancave#2.

44 minutes ago, Luc said:

I have some isolation feet with a single bearing held in a footed cup they're great bit's of machining but not what I want for this project neither are squash balls or a tube. No,  they've got to be affixed to the timber slab, probably pointy and perhaps with their own saucer for the pointy ends to reside in(not sure yet. It's in the embryonic stage at the moment Andy.

Just something to fiddle with in my near completed  Mancave#2.

"Pointy things" are spikes, Luc ... and spikes do not isolate!  They couple.

If you don't believe me ... I'll show you the maths.  :)

Andy

Keep your maths.