The Wood Thread.

Luc

I'm in the design process for my new bookshelves/room wide bench/under bench cupboards,drawers which willhouse my cd's and showcase my components. I'm/we(the Handbrake) having a few design/decor probs and the upshot is that I've come across a possible fantastic source of slabbed/dried timber at what I'm led to believe are very cheap prices.

My mate the cabinetmaker is off to Thailand for 3 weeks shortly but when he comes back he's going to have the full weight of the Handbrake come down on him and even though she's a diminutive 5'3" and a front row sized 60 kilo's...she packs a punch and that's with just one eyebrow raised...

A trip will be on I think, to go down the coast and see this guys timber collection which he wants to thin out by a fairly massive amount. I've had figures like 300 bucks for dried thick cut Hoop Pine...the whole 2.5m butt of one for instance. It's a big shed that he's filled up with a timber from a mate whose a treelopper and he keeps calling this guy out to his jobs because he's got a big truck with a big Hihab on the back and that of course saves hime from feeding the really big trunks into his chipper.

So over the years he's shed has filled up and now apparently enough is enough so he's going to thin it all out.

If I go down there to look I'll take a few pics and drill this guy about his timber and more importantly his prices and whether he'll freight.

Could be some good material for the DIY guys here and woodworkers.

I'll keep the thread informed.

Luc perfect thread - Damo needs - wood idea to replace the side panels on the Sansui and also thinking about using something from down your way to use as a section of kitchen bench top for the house reno.  This guy with the shed full of wood may have something thats suitable for the kitchen.  When are you going? do you want a road trip partner - partner? :)

cheers Damo

Hi lovetube,

Sorry about the delay in responding but our learned friends, THOMMO and  guru, are spot on in their description of fiddleback. It's a growth pattern which occurs in many timbers. Because the grain direction is constantly changing the timber is difficult to work. There are some excellent Australian made hand planes which have the ability to deal with difficult timbers . They are H.N.T.Gordon tools if anyone is interested.

Cheers,Larry.

Thanks Guys.

i have some here and I definately see they are hard to work with . but they will be in one of my preamp or power amp as I love the patern .

cheers

Lovetube

I'm in the design process for my new bookshelves/room wide bench/under bench cupboards,drawers which willhouse my cd's and showcase my components. I'm/we(the Handbrake) having a few design/decor probs and the upshot is that I've come across a possible fantastic source of slabbed/dried timber at what I'm led to believe are very cheap prices.

My mate the cabinetmaker is off to Thailand for 3 weeks shortly but when he comes back he's going to have the full weight of the Handbrake come down on him and even though she's a diminutive 5'3" and a front row sized 60 kilo's...she packs a punch and that's with just one eyebrow raised...

A trip will be on I think, to go down the coast and see this guys timber collection which he wants to thin out by a fairly massive amount. I've had figures like 300 bucks for dried thick cut Hoop Pine...the whole 2.5m butt of one for instance. It's a big shed that he's filled up with a timber from a mate whose a treelopper and he keeps calling this guy out to his jobs because he's got a big truck with a big Hihab on the back and that of course saves hime from feeding the really big trunks into his chipper.

So over the years he's shed has filled up and now apparently enough is enough so he's going to thin it all out.

If I go down there to look I'll take a few pics and drill this guy about his timber and more importantly his prices and whether he'll freight.

Could be some good material for the DIY guys here and woodworkers.

I'll keep the thread informed.

Please do let us all know Luc. A supply of cheap good slabs is very very rare indeed.

And I have freighted wood when I have had to.

Timber.....

lovely bits of wood being posted ! love red woods...jarrah or rose woods etc. or simple beech/cherry woods....

ah the joy of wood see so many makers going to high gloss painted gawdy finishes and the like. completely misses the mark for me ! 

Hi lovetube,

Sorry about the delay in responding but our learned friends, THOMMO and  guru, are spot on in their description of fiddleback. It's a growth pattern which occurs in many timbers. Because the grain direction is constantly changing the timber is difficult to work. There are some excellent Australian made hand planes which have the ability to deal with difficult timbers . They are H.N.T.Gordon tools if anyone is interested.

Cheers,Larry.

terry and i have a special relationship.

post-105381-0-16154700-1365422591_thumb.

all palm smoothers from different timbers from around the world. so far around 35 species, 7 more to arrive when he comes to town in june.

Luc perfect thread - Damo needs - wood idea to replace the side panels on the Sansui and also thinking about using something from down your way to use as a section of kitchen bench top for the house reno.  This guy with the shed full of wood may have something thats suitable for the kitchen.  When are you going? do you want a road trip partner - partner? :)

cheers Damo

I'd be very surprised if he hasn't got timber suitable for benchtops Damo and he's not that far away either as it's down Illuka/Yamba way. At the very least you'll have to let me know dimensions of the kitchen tops and a timeframe as well.

The Sansui is something we could look at straight away though. PM me it's dimensions although it'll practically be the same as my Sansui I think. Camphor Laurel is a ripper of a timber with excellent colour +grain and I know a couple of places here that I can get some seasoned stuff.

I'm working at the place I got Ozcall's Camphor and AJ's Huon pine from tomorrow as it turns out so I'll sniff around. My measurements of my Sansui go about: 117mm x 240mm. Does the 101 have timber sides that come to the front or are they tucked in behind the faceplate?

Hi guru,

That's a beautiful collection of planes. Are you using them in a workshop situation, or admiring them for their beauty ?

Cheers Larry. 

Evening larry,

Thanks, I have a full set of planes I use for the workshop and the others are made as production planes. I supply terry the wood and he takes his time making them, all high speed steel blades.

Regards,g.

A question if I may?

I have a slab of Red River Gum 80mm thick, will a jigsaw cut through this and can I even buy a jigsaw blade that will cut 80mm thick hardwood?

It is for a new Garrard 401 plinth project.

Hi lovetube,

Cheers,Larry.

Larry.

here is some of my Denon 103 wood bodies that I made them out of this wood . got them fro the wood show but forgot what the name was .now the Filddle back remain me of this. this wood is quite soft and light .

Lovetube559442_149936041848143_770646252_n.jpg

A question if I may?

I have a slab of Red River Gum 80mm thick, will a jigsaw cut through this and can I even buy a jigsaw blade that will cut 80mm thick hardwood?

Grumpy, I wouldnt use a jigsaw for this. The blade would probably end up jumping in the timber because of the thickness. And even if it could cut it, it wouldn't be accurate leaving a buttload (yes, that is the technical term) of sanding and shaping to be done. You are better off using a table saw (and a guide) if it'll cut deep enough, or or maybe just a compound slide saw (although the slide would only go 300mm or so in a big one.

If you can't cut this yourself, apart from another SNAer local to you volunteering if they have correct tools, I'd take it to a cabinet maker. They should be able to do something with it for you.

Lovetube, is that camphor laurel?

Edited by shaky

A question if I may?

Is it already cut to size and you are looking to make "cut out"?

My guess is an 80mm slab of red gum would not be completely dry in the middle unless it is many years old.Perhaps never.So there is a risk of cracking if you cut a hole in it.

I would advise drilling holes through it where you plan to make the cutout and leave it to dry for about a year.

The best way to make the cutout would be to make a template frame and use a template follower on a router and plunge cut it from both sides.

Temporarily glue the template to the plinth using hot melt glue.

Larry.

here is some of my Denon 103 wood bodies that I made them out of this wood . got them fro the wood show but forgot what the name was .now the Filddle back remain me of this. this wood is quite soft and light .

Lovetube[img=http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/559442_149936041848143_770646252_n.jpg]

Could be a South American timber called lacewood.

Hi lovetube,

That timber looks like Silky Oak to me, which generally comes out of Queensland. It does grow in the southern states but produces a paler, but nonetheless beautiful timber

Cheers Larry. 

Hairy oak ,Shea oak all out of Queensland. Lacewood has larger medullary rays. The figure is how oak is , not fiddleback. I have some big slabs of forest oak 6 mtrs long by 700 wide,40 mm thick I intend to use as internal stair treads one day, fantastic figure and beautiful colour, picked the lot up for $50 at an industrial auction probably 15 years ago.

Cheers.

Hairy oak ,Shea oak all out of Queensland. Lacewood has larger medullary rays. The figure is how oak is , not fiddleback. I have some big slabs of forest oak 6 mtrs long by 700 wide,40 mm thick I intend to use as internal stair treads one day, fantastic figure and beautiful colour, picked the lot up for $50 at an industrial auction probably 15 years ago.

Cheers.

Hi Gugu.

this ring the bell " Hairy oak " .

Cheers

Lovetube

I'd be very surprised if he hasn't got timber suitable for benchtops Damo and he's not that far away either as it's down Illuka/Yamba way. At the very least you'll have to let me know dimensions of the kitchen tops and a timeframe as well.

The Sansui is something we could look at straight away though. PM me it's dimensions although it'll practically be the same as my Sansui I think. Camphor Laurel is a ripper of a timber with excellent colour +grain and I know a couple of places here that I can get some seasoned stuff.

I'm working at the place I got Ozcall's Camphor and AJ's Huon pine from tomorrow as it turns out so I'll sniff around. My measurements of my Sansui go about: 117mm x 240mm. Does the 101 have timber sides that come to the front or are they tucked in behind the faceplate?

Hi Luc i will send a pm with the details.  The 101 has sides that coem all the way to the front.

thought so. If you wanted to do it at home and on the cheap. You could do it with a spade bit and a sharp chisel. Basically drilling multiple holes to the correct shape and depth then smoothing it with the chisel, then sandpaper. Then you could control depth to match specifically the bottom of your Garrard. Rather than cutting all the way through. this would keep more weigth in the plinth. Shindo style!

Edited by Upfront

Grumpy, I wouldnt use a jigsaw for this. The blade would probably end up jumping in the timber because of the thickness. And even if it could cut it, it wouldn't be accurate leaving a buttload (yes, that is the technical term) of sanding and shaping to be done. You are better off using a table saw (and a guide) if it'll cut deep enough, or or maybe just a compound slide saw (although the slide would only go 300mm or so in a big one.

If you can't cut this yourself, apart from another SNAer local to you volunteering if they have correct tools, I'd take it to a cabinet maker. They should be able to do something with it for you.

Lovetube, is that camphor laurel?

Thanks LT I might look for a local cabinet maker or similar