Sign in to follow this  
Luc

The Wood Thread.

I built this 20 years ago when the 68cm TV was considered huge and my wife said I was insane trying to build it into a wallunit.  But not half as insane as trying to retro fit a 50" plasma, and I am hating every minute of that!  

Here is how you do it (thank me later) :

post-136643-0-08045300-1364113880_thumb.

Ah, I like the version MK2 much better. you did away with the built in hob enclosure for the cornice work and have gone back to the original ceiling and a new cornice.

No drama's with heat in the TV's enclosure in relation to the gear on the above shelves?

A good solution Flemo. Still looks great.

Now a question for all working with wood here, what do yiou do with your offcuts? Do you keep certain sized (or shaped) ones or just dispose of them?

I did this with my latest hifi rack offcuts:

Coatrack02_zps18162231.jpg

Viola!!!!! Coatrack.

And the other half approved of it too.

Very clever shaky. I like that a lot. Nice ss batten screws too.

Hey, you could make some arty acoustic panels the same way. Now I am inspired.

Ah, I like the version MK2 much better. you did away with the built in hob enclosure for the cornice work and have gone back to the original ceiling and a new cornice.

No drama's with heat in the TV's enclosure in relation to the gear on the above shelves?

No the bulkhead and pediment has to be rebuilt.  The plasma is fully vented behind and no heat is trapped. 

Very clever shaky. I like that a lot. Nice ss batten screws too. Hey, you could make some arty acoustic panels the same way. Now I am inspired.

Thanks rehabitat. I like the shiny screws too. Ummed and ahhhed for a while over what to use for 'hooks' but had those screws all along.

Not sure if I could sneak bigger arty panels past the other member of my household!! May be worth a shot!

Hey guys, I need a bit of help/advice on my refurb. If you've got the time , just have a quick squiz at my last post and the horrible pics I posted there... Click

I am really enjoying the wood thread so far. Here's a couple of my own projects.

post-107296-0-16462000-1364424338_thumb.

Diy 3ways using plantation oak veneered mdf from Amerind.

post-107296-0-46344200-1364424560_thumb.

Back when I was into watchmaking built this watchmakers workbench. Has a 1000mm bench height to get close and personal to tiny watch parts as well as heaps of drawers. Also great to work on fellow SNA members amplifier.Uses Fijian cedar ply from MisterPLy. Have a guess what the timber box with hole in it on the right hand side is.

Simon

One of my "Thomo" curly jarrah plinths for Technics SP10 turntable.

post-104548-0-35086200-1364636500_thumb.

hi thomo,

what kind of finish is that? PU or french polish? i can see the depth on the grains. please

teach me.. :D

cheers

henry

From memory a 50% gloss Beckers 2 pack lacquer.Five coats applied with a pressure pot sprayer using a 1.2mm nozzle.

I would normally use a 30% gloss but a bit more gloss highlights the curly grain.The sanding also needs to be good and you need to work down through the grits from 80,120,180 and finally 320 grit.Then 320 grit between coats.

More Thomo goodness, Rogers LS3/5A speaker re-clad in cross cut Western Australian Sheoak veneer ...

Also, not sure people are aware but several of the Supratek timber chassis's have been done by Thomo, he's a superb craftsman.

SpendorLS3-5ALoudspeakerLarge.jpgDSCN5110Large-1.jpgDSCN5109Large.jpgLS3-5Ab.jpg

Edited by Steve M

I'm not surprised. He does beautiful work

That's some nice work!!

Wonderful stuff. Thomo's sanding/coating routine sounds almost exactly like Earle's as he explained it to me once.

Thanks for the tip about Amerind, given that Australian Furniture Timbers in Port Melbourne have closed down. Their customer services manager, Elvis, really knew his woods.

What ... really ?  Their website is still up ?

My first ever 'proper' diy project used the timber from them at *very reasonable* price, i.e cheaper than those bunnings dressed timbers !

DSC_2576.jpg

Yep, the website is still up but they've gone, the land's been auctioned, and no reply to my email-of-query.

given that Australian Furniture Timbers in Port Melbourne have closed down. Their customer services manager, Elvis, really knew his woods.

This may be incorrect. I was in there a while back and was told they were selling the Port Melbourne site but would be reopening somewhere in the  NE suburbs .

Cheers Mike

What ... really ?  Their website is still up ?

My first ever 'proper' diy project used the timber from them at *very reasonable* price, i.e cheaper than those bunnings dressed timbers !

DSC_2576.jpg

I just love the workmanship in those - unreal !!

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a few photos. Speaker boxes are birds eye maple. All the corners have solid birds eye rebated into them which allows some softening of the corners. The amplifier case, which is hand dovetailed, is made of fiddleback hardwood. After I made it I decided to make a matching case for the turntable. They look pretty good next to each other.

post-106401-0-85715000-1364900805_thumb.   post-106401-0-15065700-1364900854_thumb.   post-106401-0-61850000-1364900890_thumb.   post-106401-0-66375800-1364900930_thumb.

Cheers, 

Larry

Hi all,

Thought I'd share a few photos. Speaker boxes are birds eye maple. All the corners have solid birds eye rebated into them which allows some softening of the corners. The amplifier case, which is hand dovetailed, is made of fiddleback hardwood. After I made it I decided to make a matching case for the turntable. They look pretty good next to each other.

attachicon.gifDSC_1499.jpg   attachicon.gifDSC_1504.jpg   attachicon.gifSpeaker Box 1.jpg   attachicon.gifSpeaker Box 2.jpg

Cheers, 

Larry

Hi Larry.

lovely work . just a quick question . is the fiddleback hardwood easy to work with or it is hard ? i found they a bit soft compare to other hardwood.

Lovetube

Guest guru
Hi Larry.

lovely work . just a quick question . is the fiddleback hardwood easy to work with or it is hard ? i found they a bit soft compare to other hardwood.

Lovetube

Fiddleback is a figure in the wood, not a species, so it's not softer, just a different growth pattern like Birdseye, pomelle, waterfall, wavy, bearclaw, pudding, ribbon, peanut.

Fiddleback/curly/quilted are all a result of a tree laying down growth in a wave like pattern rather than in straight vertical lines.

It is far more difficult to machine,joint and finish than straight grained timber and has a tendency to  "tear out" so very sharp blades and more sanding are needed.

It can also be confined just to the early growth in a tree so is only found near the outside of the log.

Curly logs often sell for a premium price.Unfortunately many are not identified in large mills and are processed in to lower value timber like flooring.

Hi lovetube,

Sorry about the delay in responding but our learned friends, THOMMO and  guru, are spot on in their description of fiddleback. It's a growth pattern which occurs in many timbers. Because the grain direction is constantly changing the timber is difficult to work. There are some excellent Australian made hand planes which have the ability to deal with difficult timbers . They are H.N.T.Gordon tools if anyone is interested.

Cheers,Larry.

I'm in the design process for my new bookshelves/room wide bench/under bench cupboards,drawers which willhouse my cd's and showcase my components. I'm/we(the Handbrake) having a few design/decor probs and the upshot is that I've come across a possible fantastic source of slabbed/dried timber at what I'm led to believe are very cheap prices.

My mate the cabinetmaker is off to Thailand for 3 weeks shortly but when he comes back he's going to have the full weight of the Handbrake come down on him and even though she's a diminutive 5'3" and a front row sized 60 kilo's...she packs a punch and that's with just one eyebrow raised...

A trip will be on I think, to go down the coast and see this guys timber collection which he wants to thin out by a fairly massive amount. I've had figures like 300 bucks for dried thick cut Hoop Pine...the whole 2.5m butt of one for instance. It's a big shed that he's filled up with a timber from a mate whose a treelopper and he keeps calling this guy out to his jobs because he's got a big truck with a big Hihab on the back and that of course saves hime from feeding the really big trunks into his chipper.

So over the years he's shed has filled up and now apparently enough is enough so he's going to thin it all out.

If I go down there to look I'll take a few pics and drill this guy about his timber and more importantly his prices and whether he'll freight.

Could be some good material for the DIY guys here and woodworkers.

I'll keep the thread informed.