The Wood Thread.

Luc

Just starting this thread after a discussion popped up on the Ebay thread about timbers and veneers etc etc.

This might be a place to discuss your project or your needs(be nice) in regards to timber and also to showcase your timber work/pursuits etc and of course how your timber work looks...i.e. Lots an lots of pics. :rolleyes:

I'll be posting some pics soon and I'll be posting the availability of some types/species of timber if any of the DIY guys are interested in grabbing a bit. It's not a money thing at all more a lets help each other out if we can kinda thang. :)

Also it might become a bit of a repository for information on how to do stuff, how to treat something, how to fix something, how to clean up that old Luxman/Sansui/Redgum( :o )/timber veneered amp.

*Sorry I can't add too much more at the moment as time is of the essence and the Handbrake is breathing hot sparkly bits reminding me about the bbq I don't want to go to with her rellies in attendance...

• Like 3

I used to work in the solid timber industry.I has changed a bit since then. in Brisbane Moxons would be as good as any. Amerind in Brisbane has a good selection of timber veneers. I believe Amerind in Melbourne may be able to help you with exotic solid timber,( African, American,European)

• Like 1

I'm not very good working with wood, but an ex SNA member is preparing a block of Red River Gum roughly 85x 85 strips for me to make a plinth for my Garrard. All I have to do is do the fitting and finishing, so even that will get this old useless brain thinking . A winter project with pics me thinks!

• Like 2

I'm not very good working with wood, but an ex SNA member is preparing a block of Red River Gum roughly 85x 85 strips for me to make a plinth for my Garrard. All I have to do is do the fitting and finishing, so even that will get this old useless brain thinking . A winter project with pics me thinks!

Looking forward to seeing that Grumpy! And other projects people have. Photos please people!

I get wood. I really do.

:party

Ok, I did once upon a time purchase from Amerind some veneered MDF for building stuff. I think they officially only sold to commercial entities at the time, but they acquiesced to sell to me because I was so nice (or because I had money for them). The product was great, and still have a full sheet or two of it in storage actually. American Maple veneer if memory serves me correct.

Evening jake, just make sure the boards are covered up well as white veneers like maple will take on stains from dust very easily and with veneered boards, you don't have a lot to play with when finishing.

I have been buying up lots of veneers over the past 2 years because of the shift to man made patterns, in a couple of years you will only be able to these fabricated artificial veneers as more timbers go onto the CITES list of banned species for logging or export.

Mind you, I have just made a beautiful hall table from a common Queensland timber called lancewood which as a furniture timber treated right with an appropriate finish is absolutely stunning.

Regards,g.

Evening jake, just make sure the boards are covered up well as white veneers like maple will take on stains from dust very easily and with veneered boards, you don't have a lot to play with when finishing.

I have been buying up lots of veneers over the past 2 years because of the shift to man made patterns, in a couple of years you will only be able to these fabricated artificial veneers as more timbers go onto the CITES list of banned species for logging or export.

Mind you, I have just made a beautiful hall table from a common Queensland timber called lancewood which as a furniture timber treated right with an appropriate finish is absolutely stunning.

Regards,g.

Pics please Guru... :cool:  we need pics.

Yet another Acacia(Lancewood) and one that can have some fantastic colours.

Have a squiz here >>> Lancewood, basically a Wattle Tree.

Mulga is another wood not often associated with woodcraft and it's also an Acacia

Edited by Luc

What? No pics of anything yet?!! I gather this is all about wood, be it wood about to be turned into something or wood that has been reshaped into your project. So....

A few from me: (forgive the Apple quality pics!)

My old 'Cyrus Triarbour' rack, simply stained pine:

IMG_7127_zps824ea5e9.jpg

Also in the background are some sheets of bendy ply for my curved speaker enclosure project, and some thicknessed redgum rail sleeper for a dining table top. Theres also a 3.6mtr (260mm x 50mm) long plank of silver ash and a 2mtr (400mm x 50mm) one of cedar there as well.

Sold off my Cyrus rack and now have this, in Tassie oak: (Pine shelving was supposed to be smoked glass!)

IMG_4131_zpsdaff314b.jpg

IMG_4133_zps631d4baa.jpg

IMG_7512_zpsffd409de.jpg

And one last one, That piece of cedar I mentioned earlier. Cut out of a piece from a fork of a tree:

IMG_6994_zpsb7301c62.jpg

Just add water:

IMG_6992_zps424d6820.jpg

Oh and one last thing, if any one here needs or can think of a use for 30 x 16 x 1100mm MDF strips, you're welcome to some. I have hundreds of them. Just PM me and we can organise it.

Edited by shaky
  • Like 2

Nice mitres there shaky and nice cdp too...

Yeah the old red cedar lights up doesn't it. What are planning on doing with it?

Thanks Luc. Mitres courtesy of Makita! A compound slide mitre saw to be exact.

Because of the random grain in it I want to leave the cedar in as much of one piece as possible to make the most of it. I may use it for drawer fronts, or a top panel in a long low unit so as to continue that grain across them.

A good supplier of timber in east of Melbourne is Matthews in Vermont. There's also the Woodsmith, based east of Melbourne too, that sells online.

Edited by shaky

I'm being a bit of a smarty here but I cut down and dug out(the stump) my current bits of cedar most of which I got milled and donated to a local mens shed for them to further dress it and sell it with the money going to a local charity for disabled people. I kinda had to get rid of it as the Handbrake wasn't happy about all the cedar bits drying in every available nook and cranny. :(

Currently tossing up, on what to do the shelves out of in my library listening room refurb. Trying to keep costs down for shelving so I have money to spend on an across the width of the room bench to house the system etc.  One idea so far is to do them in 17mm marine ply(or plain old building grade ply sheeting) with solid timber edges which opens up all kind of options as far as timber species goes. post-117697-0-68204700-1364099559.jpg This the best pic I could find at the moment of the idea .

You get a better picture of the edging and the router tip here>> Solid edge timber

Thanks Grumpy. I just dabble is all. Slow and steady. Seems to me a good meeting of my hobbies, woodwork and music, by building hifi racks! I've made a few extras along the way.

Luc, have you the router bit set already? You could simply rebate your solid wood edging of choice on one side (with a simple straight bit on a table) and slide it over and glue along edge of whatever your shelves are made of. Nice and simple and gives you a lip to stop things falling off shelves.

Good idea Shaky but they're bookshelves, floor to ceiling bookshelves so they can't have a lip. A chippy mate will be buying the router bit(about a hunge it is) as he can use it all the time so he says.  Between us we have a reasonable amount of recycled rainforest timber which is all a hundred years old or so and hence well seasoned and I think edging would be the perfect end to their useful lives so to speak as we don't have enough of it to do any thing significant but 4 and 5x1-1/2 lengths can be ripped and thicknessed  and routered up into useful strips.

MDF with melamine finish is another cheap alternative but the appeal of the solid timber edges is seductive and I've canvassed the idea of doing Japanese/Mandarin mitred joints at the shelf intersections where they meet with upright supports.

Like this

post-117697-0-32784000-1364105481_thumb.

Sooo, it's early stages yet but that's the direction I want to go if I can manage it. The shelves in reality will be the easy bit I think, the benchtop and cupboards underneath will be the harder thing to design properly I think.

Ahhhhh ok, bookshelves. And nice for someone to stump up the cost of that bit set. Not cheap.

The joints will be great. I did exactly those in a console table ages ago, the Japanese inspiration coming from, funnily enough, the Japanese cedar I used for it.

I do things with other woods than just cedar!! Haha.

Well, if its all about the wood...

I did mention in another thread about my fondness for American white oak, and hence most of my furniture is A/oak. 

I built this 20 years ago when the 68cm TV was considered huge and my wife said I was insane trying to build it into a wallunit.  But not half as insane as trying to retro fit a 50" plasma, and I am hating every minute of that!  These are the pic's of my wall unit before I modified and it and destroyed the aesthetics and symmetry of the original design.  Due to laziness and lack of interest, I am in the process of modifying it purely for function as nobody would watch the 68cm TV. 

post-107252-0-81170400-1364110120_thumb.post-107252-0-03172000-1364110138_thumb.post-107252-0-97811300-1364110151_thumb.post-107252-0-61425900-1364110163_thumb.post-107252-0-08310000-1364110181_thumb.

Edited by flemo
  • Like 4

Flemo, I gather you've had to encroach on the open space to the left of the old CRT to get your flat screen in. But don't worry. Symmetry is overrated. :-) Oh and that's a superb piece of furniture! I'm jealous.

Very nice bit of furniture Flemo, very nice indeed, speaks of skill and patience.

I don't like the timber or the style if I'm perfectly honest but the workmanship is self evident. Nice bit of cornice work as well, WD.

Flemo, I gather you've had to encroach on the open space to the left of the old CRT to get your flat screen in. But don't worry. Symmetry is overrated. :-) Oh and that's a superb piece of furniture! I'm jealous.

No mate, to the right...

The last pics show how it looks now.  I have to get 3 x doors and some of the pediment machined and made up as I no longer have access to the machinery to make it myself. 

post-107252-0-76760700-1364111160_thumb.post-107252-0-91704100-1364111180_thumb.post-107252-0-64018400-1364111211_thumb.post-107252-0-05932800-1364111229_thumb.post-107252-0-20326500-1364111279_thumb.post-107252-0-02557300-1364111708_thumb.post-107252-0-36309200-1364111741_thumb.

• Like 2