Harman Kardon 3390

Hi guys

I know this is a budget unit but it's what I'm stuck with for now.

I was listening this morning with no problems, then came back later today and there is simply no sound, either through the speakers or the headphones (and the speakers work through another amp so the problem is definitely the HK3390). The unit turns on and the display works fine.

I tried the reset routine and leaving it unplugged for a few minutes but that hasn't worked.

The only thing I can think that I did was I plugged in an RCA lead from the pre-out (so I could test the headphone output of another amp), but I've done that before with no problems.

Any suggestions of what the problem is likely to be and what I should expect to pay for it be fixed? (no longer under warranty).

Thanks

ericd

Thanks guys

Checked all the possible 'knocked buttons'- mute, tape mon, speakers off, etc, also tried power cycling and resetting the unit.

I'm not at all confident with opening up electronics so I'll have to take it someone- hopefully it is just a fuse or component that won't take too long to find. (Anyone had experience with JLS electronics?).

Cheers

EDIT. WOW! Your replies inspired me to go and just give it one more check and I cannot believe what the problem was- I'm embarrassed to say it! When I used the pre-out, I must have replaced the dummy plugs the wrong way (vertical not horizontal). That's it. FFS. 

Does SNA have a newbie move of the month award? :lol:

Edited by ericd

Um yeah I've done this, with subwoofer preout mixup with a input instead. 

I was about to mention HK's reliablity before reading your "fix". I had a HK AVR7000. It was great, when it worked. Not to mention the DVD player as well, returned the lot in the end after 3 years of warranty issues. Such a shame cos man it sounded great.

I was about to mention HK's reliablity before reading your "fix". I had a HK AVR7000. It was great, when it worked. Not to mention the DVD player as well, returned the lot in the end after 3 years of warranty issues. Such a shame cos man it sounded great.

I had the same unit - lovely when it worked but heat it produced seemed to destroy it. Had it fixed twice and then ended up selling it un-working for parts...