OFF RAMP 5 usb compared to the off ramp 4 or there usb converters

I've sold my off ramp 4 and in the next couple of week will get the off ramp 5.

Once I get it will let you know the difference between the two plus how it sounds with the Empirical short usb block.

The off ramp 5 I've ordered has the  hynes regulator plus the dual turbo clock.

The cost to me is $2249 plus the short block $200 plus delivery, insurances and taxes in USA Dollars.

I was extremely happy with the off ramp 4 which had the hynes regulator plus the dual turbo clock and the short usb block.

The Dac I was using is the reiymo dac.

Finally was able to compare the off ramp 4 with the off ramp 5.

Is the off ramp 5 better than the off ramp 4? The answer is yes.

Does it kill the off ramp 4? The answer is no.

Could I go back to the off ramp 4 after living with the off ramp 5? The answer is no.

Was it worth the extra money? The answer is yes.

Your all going to ask in what area is the off ramp 5 better than the off ramp4? The answer is in all areas.

Better bass, More detail, Blacker blacks, More analog warmer sound. Just better in all area's.

Do I recommend Steve from empirical audio as genius? The answer is yes.

What’s the best USB converter on the market? The answer is the OFF RAMP 5.

Is it better than my turntable? The answer is it's getting Dam close.

One of the best dacs I've heard up to date is the MSB Diamond which I’m not 100% sure was around $15,000,oo DAM GOOD... But in my budget.

The advantages and disadvantages of computer.  There no clutter. You can do everything from your lounge chair including surfing the net. You can get the latest music. Music is quite cheap. If your sick of are song you can flick through 100 song in minutes. There's a lot of positives with computer music.

The disadvantages/ computers. You get fat and lazy. You don't get the time to appreciate the fill of a record cover in your hands, reading the record cover and getting to understand the band.

You some times don't give the music a chance and you flick through it. The computer is killing the music industry, potential jobs because of pirate music, movies, etc.

The advantages and disadvantages of a turntable.

You loss weight by getting out of your chair. You become good at cleaning records but don't let your wife see you as you will be doing the dishes.

Turntable has that sense of magic that you will not get from a digital source but it getting dam close. You keep people employed making records.

Turntables can look great.

The disadvantages/ turntables. The records are expensive. You can't find all the latest music. The clutter of records. Cleaning records.

Turntables are quite expensive to buy and set up. Replacing cartridges. Turntables take a lot of room.

THE END

Edited by audiohifiaudio
  • Like 1

These are some that come to mind that I've tried.

But the one to beat is the Off ramp....

hiFace Two

Audio philleo with battery pack

Belcanto Ref link

Off ramp 4

stello 2

WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter:

Finally was able to compare the off ramp 4 with the off ramp 5.

Is the off ramp 5 better than the off ramp 4? The answer is yes.

Does it kill the off ramp 4? The answer is no.

Could I go back to the off ramp 4 after living with the off ramp 5? The answer is no.

Was it worth the extra money? The answer is yes.

Your all going to ask in what area is the off ramp 5 better than the off ramp4? The answer is in all areas.

Better bass, More detail, Blacker blacks, More analog warmer sound. Just better in all area's.

Do I recommend Steve from empirical audio as genius? The answer is yes.

What’s the best USB converter on the market? The answer is the OFF RAMP 5.

Is it better than my turntable? The answer is it's getting Dam close.

One of the best dacs I've heard up to date is the MSB Diamond which I’m not 100% sure was around $15,000,oo DAM GOOD... But in my budget.

The advantages and disadvantages of computer.  There no clutter. You can do everything from your lounge chair including surfing the net. You can get the latest music. Music is quite cheap. If your sick of are song you can flick through 100 song in minutes. There's a lot of positives with computer music.

The disadvantages/ computers. You get fat and lazy. You don't get the time to appreciate the fill of a record cover in your hands, reading the record cover and getting to understand the band.

You some times don't give the music a chance and you flick through it. The computer is killing the music industry, potential jobs because of pirate music, movies, etc.

The advantages and disadvantages of a turntable.

You loss weight by getting out of your chair. You become good at cleaning records but don't let your wife see you as you will be doing the dishes.

Turntable has that sense of magic that you will not get from a digital source but it getting dam close. You keep people employed making records.

Turntables can look great.

The disadvantages/ turntables. The records are expensive. You can't find all the latest music. The clutter of records. Cleaning records.

Turntables are quite expensive to buy and set up. Replacing cartridges. Turntables take a lot of room.

THE END

MK3 JKSPDIF

Edited by audiohifiaudio

I've sold my off ramp 4 and in the next couple of week will get the off ramp 5.

Once I get it will let you know the difference between the two plus how it sounds with the Empirical short usb block.

Really looking forward to that - and appreciate you taking the time and trouble to do it  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

I would upgrade but am waiting until Steve can handle integer mode which via Audiravana is supposed to make a big difference.

Thanks

Bill

These are some that come to mind that I've tried.

But the one to beat is the Off ramp....

hiFace Two

Audio philleo with battery pack

Belcanto Ref link

Off ramp 4

stello 2

How about giving us a ranking of each say 60/100 etc., please

Really looking forward to that - and appreciate you taking the time and trouble to do it  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

I would upgrade but am waiting until Steve can handle integer mode which via Audiravana is supposed to make a big difference.

Thanks

Bill

I will keep you posted...

How about giving us a ranking of each say 60/100 etc., please
hiFace Two ......30%

Audio philleo with battery pack .......60% rating

Belcanto Ref link .......70% rating

Off ramp 4 .......100% rating

stello 2 .......40% rating

WaveLink HS 24/192 USB to SPDIF converter: ........55% rating

MK3 JKSPDIF .......45% rating

Number one ....Love the OFF ramp4

The belcanto was OK still short to the off ramp4 but getting there.

The audio philleo with the battery pack on the border line.

The wavelink are bit on the bright bright side so dependent on system needs to be really sweet system but had a lot of detail.

The stello2 I like it but not enough detail.

The MK3 PRETTY GOOD...IN IT'S PRICE RANGE

The HiFace 2 not for me....

In life one think is for certain the more you spend the better it gets in most cases. There are very little bargains that blow you away on the low end of the cost.

Edited by audiohifiaudio

Thanks for the ratings Look like all roads lead to.... Offramp

Hell yea - but personally I would wait until Steve has Integer Mode working. 

My rankings would be a little - but not a lot different.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the off ramp 5 today. I hooked it up to start the burning process. Dam couldn't get out of the chair for two hours tapping my feet. I believe it's better than the off ramp4 but I haven't compared the two as yet. I will keep you guys posted when i compare the two. But I still fill it's better than the off ramp4. One thing I've noticed straight away was better bass. I also bought the usb block which I will compare once burnt in. One thing I can say it puts a big hole in your back pocket for such a small unit but if your looking for a usb converters start saving your money and get a off ramp5 because it's pointless buying anything less as I've tried most of them.. I liked the off ramp4 but love the off ramp5 and it's not even burnt-in.  I could only imagine what the Empirical audio dac might sound like. Regards Walter

. I liked the off ramp4 but love the off ramp5 and it's not even burnt-in.  I could only imagine what the Empirical audio dac might sound like. Regards Walter

Errr sorry, I didn't quite catch that due to the fine print. :lol:

I am waiting for the off ramp 60. That will be schit hot :)

• Like 1

I had a listen today for a hour or so I found it to be more vinyl like and the bass sounded even better than last time. One thing I can say 100% the off ramp 5 has better bass than the off ramp4.

This for me is better.... I will keep you guys up to date once I compare the two side by side.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Guys but I haven't posted any review due to the unit needs more burning in.

When I bought it and pulled it straight out of the box it sounded nice. But I've noticed it sounding more harsh or digital sounding.

But today it sounded more like analog so hence needs at least one to two weeks then I will post my thoughts.

The problem I have my speakers are very reveling so my posts on the off ramp5 will be spot on.

The problem I have my speakers are very reveling so my posts on the off ramp5 will be spot on.

They must be some speakers:

rev·el  (rebreve.gifvprime.gifschwa.gifl)

intr.v. rev·eled also rev·elled, rev·el·ing also rev·el·ling, rev·els also rev·els
1. To take great pleasure or delight: She reveled in her unaccustomed leisure.
2. To engage in uproarious festivities; make merry.
n.
A boisterous festivity or celebration; merrymaking. Often used in the plural.

Thanks

Bill

Still in to minds