houdinifangs

Show us your tubes

The Grant Fidelity Psvane spheres in DIY preamp “Icon”

DA12E63B-8409-4E81-BD54-4DE065C44995.jpeg

Guest DarkNark

Power supply for the ......_MH19457.jpg.43747d54ea4756d1751028379dcca02d.thumb.jpg.50627823d91193b41cef800d155ea003.jpg

Cortese preamp_MH19456.jpg.b6c2829f38ed184720fd7cae087789e3.thumb.jpg.1f13ebc13bd4e49874093717851172f5.jpg

54 minutes ago, DarkNark said:

Power supply for the ......

Cortese preamp

Nice. Same power supply as the Cabernets. That's a very pricey looking rectifier you have there.IMG_20190822_113922.thumb.jpg.23f8552376ef84d821d93cb1f20f2baa.jpg

Edited by Ittaku

20 hours ago, mwhouston said:

Does look very impressive. I paid $570 a pair for my spheres (bought three pairs). Listening to them now.

Yep that's about what I paid for them. Unlike other tube rolling, putting those in made it sound like a complete preamp upgrade. Worth every cent in the output stage. If/when 10k hours is up I don't think I'll be bothering with the driver stage ones though.

Guest DarkNark
8 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Nice. Same power supply as the Cabernets. That's a very pricey looking rectifier you have there.

Hi Con, not sure to be honest, It was supplied when I purchased it. It is just marked Electron Tube, 274B and Made in China. Going by the insignia it's a Shuguang. It appears not too expensive relatively speaking. Link

Just now, DarkNark said:

Hi Con, not sure to be honest, It was supplied when I purchased it. It is just marked Electron Tube, 274B and Made in China. Going by the insignia it's a Shuguang. It appears not too expensive relatively speaking. Link

Ah okay, that's reassuring since different rectifier tubes shouldn't affect the sound of class A preamps like these.

Just added a hand crafted tube MM phono stage to my work system (courtesy of a fellow SNA member - you may recognise from here), replacing a Project Phono Box USB and feeding into a Bewitch integrated tube amp. More detailed and extensive listening to be had but a more delicate and natural sound. 

Happy as a pig in poo and looking forward to more listening. I think I have a dodgy rectifier tube so just ordered some new tubes. Having lots of fun and learning stuff while enjoying my music even more. What’s not to like about this caper. 

0153E737-8C57-405D-9483-142925F7AEE1.jpeg

0592C4EA-2DB6-4D68-8824-BCF8E0813190.jpeg

C43D3D7B-9464-42D6-A992-688BD5D802E8.jpeg

Dear experience valvophiles. Does anyone know if there's any risk to using multiple taps on your amplifier at the same time? Like using the 4 and 8 ohm taps concurrently for different drivers? I can't think of a reason offhand but perhaps someone that's been involved in amplifier design might be able to give a definitive answer? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Dear experience valvophiles. Does anyone know if there's any risk to using multiple taps on your amplifier at the same time? Like using the 4 and 8 ohm taps concurrently for different drivers? I can't think of a reason offhand but perhaps someone that's been involved in amplifier design might be able to give a definitive answer? Thanks.

Shirley, you need Mick (Supratek) to comment?

Andy

Just now, andyr said:

Shirley, you need Mick (Supratek) to comment?

Hmm, I don't have one of his power amps, so I'd feel bad about emailing him just for that, but he's definitely qualified to answer. He shows up on this forum when summoned.

9 hours ago, Ittaku said:

The impedance of the primary of the output transformer is a reflection of the impedance of the speaker hooked up to the secondary.

The operating point of the power tubes is based around the primary impedance. 

If you were to hook up speakers on two different taps the primary impedance would will be way off.

Were you to hook up a 4 ohm speaker to a 8 ohm tap for example, depending on the turns ratio of the OPT, you could find yourself in a situation where you have twice the current running through the tube.

This could to some serious damage to the amplifier.

Going the other way is not so much of a problem, but again, the tube will not work at the operating point it was set out to work in for optimal performance.

5 hours ago, Ihearmusic said:

The impedance of the primary of the output transformer is a reflection of the impedance of the speaker hooked up to the secondary.

The operating point of the power tubes is based around the primary impedance. 

If you were to hook up speakers on two different taps the primary impedance would will be way off.

Were you to hook up a 4 ohm speaker to a 8 ohm tap for example, depending on the turns ratio of the OPT, you could find yourself in a situation where you have twice the current running through the tube.

This could to some serious damage to the amplifier.

Going the other way is not so much of a problem, but again, the tube will not work at the operating point it was set out to work in for optimal performance.

Just what I needed to know, thanks! What if it were an 8 ohm driver on the 8 ohm tap and a 4 ohm driver on the 4 ohm tap concurrently?

Edited by Ittaku

On 15/12/2018 at 2:23 AM, Ihearmusic said:

image.thumb.png.5faaf114ad9c0512ee7c6b750af56780.png

Nearly half way there.......

I peel off the Hammond stickers on the trannies and stick them back on the bottom plate or inside the amp. That way the amp looks better and if I can’t remember which Tranni I used where I can read the sticky labels. 

9 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Just what I needed to know, thanks! What if it were an 8 ohm driver on the 8 ohm tap and a 4 ohm driver on the 4 ohm tap concurrently?

I put pen to paper and I hope it is legible.

OPT.jpg

7 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I peel off the Hammond stickers on the trannies and stick them back on the bottom plate or inside the amp. That way the amp looks better and if I can’t remember which Tranni I used where I can read the sticky labels. 

Like the caption says, "nearly half way there".

The Mono's are finished now and the stickers are inside the chassis.

I’m back on the Chuguang 50 year treasures (6SN7) and wondered if anyone else is in regular use of these. I’d put them right up there with the Psvane Grant Fidelity (6SN7) spheres at less than half the price. 

987E200E-12F9-48BB-9F42-099C88007777.jpeg

DC80036F-0953-4503-A766-ED40D8D595BE.jpeg

Mullard re-issue. Quite a long plate. Barely a spot glow from the heaters. 

8C69D091-85A2-4CB6-817C-F7345DC82A2A.jpeg

On 26/06/2019 at 8:52 AM, Frank Prowse Hi-Fi said:

Client brought in these Luxman MB88 monoblocs. Over 50 years old and sounding amazing!!!

_MH19267.jpg

_MH19268.jpg

_MH19269.jpg

_MH19270.jpg

_MH19272.jpg

_MH19273.jpg

_MH19274.jpg

_MH19275.jpg

_MH19276.jpg

_MH19277.jpg

Seriously nice rig - hope your client enjoys them for 50 more years!

On 08/06/2019 at 12:57 AM, KRSDarwin said:

Well, I’m a complete novice when it comes to tube amplifiers but have read a lot about them over the years (which may feed into a bias below).  Recently I had a great experience in purchasing a Bewitch integrated tube amp from a fellow SNA member who was very helpful.  Well today 

the amp arrived.  

This evening, with much trepidation on my part as it is the first time I have ever connected up or used a tube amplifier, I set it up in accordance with the sketch plan helpfully sent tome (and with gloves for the tubes).  It substituted for my Musical Fidelity M6si (which I love) and was bi-wired to my Paradigm Reference Studio 100s. I connected it to my Oppo UDP (I don’t have at home a quality external phono stage) and put on a SACD of Dave Brubeck’s Take 5 album.

Absolutely superb. Awesome.  I’m trying to be objective but I truly believe the sound is warmer and more natural with more timbre and sibilence. I had to increase the volume higher than I might on the MF for less of a return on volume but more I believe on richness and presence.  Now enjoying afresh Keith Jarrett’s Koln Concert.  

To me, and my wife, a great looking piece of audio. Can’t do the magic justice, but some photos to give an idea. 

0DDF5789-F005-482B-B273-57D9A59B1A3E.jpeg

72DE38D6-A4D0-4D59-B08F-278F36BE9106.jpeg

A382ED9E-D2F4-4903-95E0-A693946DE1C1.jpeg

Congratulations on your amp - looks fantastic and I bet it sounds sensational. 

I'm new to tubes too and just received my Dared VP-845 from an SNA member this morning. I'm curious about what speakers you are using. I'm considering a pair of Klipsch Heresy's but am also considering what my options are.

On 09/04/2019 at 8:44 AM, NewportJazz said:

Here are mine. Vintage 1945 Jan Rca 807.

I do like these as a replacement to the el34b tubes.

Thanks

Richard l

20190112_075445.jpg

Thought I'd revisit this thread - these look sensational!

5 hours ago, markgug said:

I'm new to tubes too and just received my Dared VP-845 from an SNA member this morning. I'm curious about what speakers you are using. I'm considering a pair of Klipsch Heresy's but am also considering what my options are.

Hi Markgug,

I hope you have been enjoying your tube amp as much as I have been enjoying mine.  In the above photo I had my tube amp paired with Paradigm Studio 100's which are high sensitivity (92dB) floorstanding speakers. It sounded great.  However for practical and versitility reasons I have now moved my tube amp into my office and it is paired with new Paradigm Premier 100B bookshelf speakers. Still sounds great but, as you would expect, can't quite compete with the Studio 100s.  

I am not familiar with the Klipsch Heresy's but being Klipsch I would guess they may be horn loaded and have a high sensitivity which would seem to bode well for pairing with your tube amp.  Good luck.