Jump to content

houdinifangs

Show us your tubes

Recommended Posts

Some inside and out shots for the toob aficionados.............sorry about the dust............

 

 

pre tubes 1.jpg

DAC 2.JPG

Pre 3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mendes said:

Some inside and out shots for the toob aficionados.............sorry about the dust............

 

 

pre tubes 1.jpg

DAC 2.JPG

Pre 3.jpg

I use a long bristled paint brush to remove dust. Some nice components in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I have a pair of these expensive 50 year treasure 6SN7s. I'm thinking the next preamp build should use these up. The Grant Audio Psvane globes I have been using are over double the price of these ($570) but doesn't make them less of a tube.

 

I have two commission jobs to complete then maybe this could be the next. It would look like the others. I even bought an extra chassis last order thinking this maybe the way to go. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mwhouston have you had many comparos with tubes vs the PS Vane units?

 

When my Time Machine arrives from Earle, it will have-

 

Sovtek 2A3

Tung Sol 6SL7

Svetlana 5U4g.

 

To 'PS Vane-up' the Weston Pre will be around 1400 to 1500 bucks. This will be fine but just wondering if you had any other alternative suggestions or omissions ('not worth while swapping that one' etc).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

@mwhouston have you had many comparos with tubes vs the PS Vane units?

 

When my Time Machine arrives from Earle, it will have-

 

Sovtek 2A3

Tung Sol 6SL7

Svetlana 5U4g.

 

To 'PS Vane-up' the Weston Pre will be around 1400 to 1500 bucks. This will be fine but just wondering if you had any other alternative suggestions or omissions ('not worth while swapping that one' etc).

 

Over that last few years I have been a Psvane convert. If I buy any tubes they are Psvane these days. I'm not a big A/B man I like to listen to amps, tubes, preamps  etc. as they are with their own character. But I have swapped tubes in the past and found some big and good changes so I should at least try.

 

I can only say try then better Psvanes and see what you think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sophia 274B Aqua rectifiers for my Audio Note Kits Mentor preamp. 

fullsizeoutput_2abe.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


24 minutes ago, campo007 said:

Sophia 274B Aqua rectifiers for my Audio Note Kits Mentor preamp. 

fullsizeoutput_2abe.jpeg

Very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ECC88, KT66 and 805 valves in AM 805 mono block 

 

DBBF1FE1-9807-48FD-87CC-E2CF20E28E36.thumb.jpeg.fda0025bee5377980f89087e641b191b.jpeg

 

Sorry about the phone pic.

Edited by Gryffles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First post on this thread for 2019, so keeping things kicking along,,,,,,,,,,,,

 

 

IMG_3498.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

Edited by Mendes
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have wanted to try some different 2a3’s in the Time Machine since purchasing it from another SNA member last year, so when these TJ Full Music Mesh Plates were recently advertised I decided to give them a go and I’m very happy I did. I also recently fitted some ex US Army issue 1944 made RCA JAN 6SL7GT’s which was a welcomed sq improvement over the high hour Tungsols that were fitted.

The Time Machine with these two changes in tubes is finally starting to have a warm valve sound to it that I was chasing as an alternative occasional listening option to the almost SS detailed sq delivery of the Primaluna’s that I enjoy 90% of the time.

 

I’m still blown away about how strong Earl’s 7watt Time Machine amp can sound.

 

cheers Terry

06F26932-E848-4A38-BBDD-A4920675CF4C.jpeg

Edited by TerryO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


52 minutes ago, TerryO said:

I have wanted to try some different 2a3’s in the Time Machine since purchasing it from another SNA member last year, so when these TJ Full Music Mesh Plates were recently advertised I decided to give them a go and I’m very happy I did. I also recently fitted some ex US Army issue 1944 made RCA JAN 6SL7GT’s which was a welcomed sq improvement over the high hour Tungsols that were fitted.

The Time Machine with these two changes in tubes is finally starting to have a warm valve sound to it that I was chasing as an alternative occasional listening option to the almost SS detailed sq delivery of the Primaluna’s that I enjoy 90% of the time.

 

I’m still blown away about how strong Earl’s 7watt Time Machine amp can sound.

 

cheers Terry

06F26932-E848-4A38-BBDD-A4920675CF4C.jpeg

Looks pretty darn good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TerryO said:

I have wanted to try some different 2a3’s in the Time Machine since purchasing it from another SNA member last year, so when these TJ Full Music Mesh Plates were recently advertised I decided to give them a go and I’m very happy I did. I also recently fitted some ex US Army issue 1944 made RCA JAN 6SL7GT’s which was a welcomed sq improvement over the high hour Tungsols that were fitted.

The Time Machine with these two changes in tubes is finally starting to have a warm valve sound to it that I was chasing as an alternative occasional listening option to the almost SS detailed sq delivery of the Primaluna’s that I enjoy 90% of the time.

 

I’m still blown away about how strong Earl’s 7watt Time Machine amp can sound.

 

cheers Terry

06F26932-E848-4A38-BBDD-A4920675CF4C.jpeg

 

Pretty cool looking valves.   Love being able to see the filaments through the plates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

d85827206bfa6ce96deba824390557f8.jpg
Loving the new edition.
My first tube amp and so happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rolling some new 300B tubes that arrived yesterday.

 

Pretty good straight out of the box and now need to put some hours into them to evaluate properly....

 

 

94F881E2-83C5-42CF-8395-BE9720BD7F25.jpeg

0AFB3EFD-F73E-4A73-A100-161E531754BC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Back from overseas today, miss my tubes... trying a new set of tubes for the new year. Sovtek 6AS7, Philips miniwatt 6EM7 and Telefunken GZ32.20190118_224645.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Back from overseas today, miss my tubes... trying a new set of tubes for the new year. Sovtek 6AS7, Philips miniwatt 6EM7 and Telefunken GZ32.20190118_224645.jpeg

Welcome home Dennis...:thumb::hiccup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been doing some tubular things in my system thread from here onwards-

 

could have also posted here but  am a lazy mahfar.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got jealous since I hadn't posted in a while and took a nice angle of these guys, and wanted to try the new phone camera.IMG_20190126_123620.thumb.jpg.5a677022dd6491e4dbb135fc2f87c006.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ihearmusic said:

More 300B goodness......

Finally finished the twins.20190126_090413.thumb.jpg.ff0a9b33521fcb72e131e2e588f3fe8b.jpg

Excellent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm at the pointy end of commissioning the first of my completely hand-built 6 Channel SET monoblocs.  I started with a basic circuit and had Lucas of Black Art Audio custom wind all the iron apart from output transformers, and designed the chassis around them.

 

Here is the first amp undergoing some testing on my electronics bench.  Note the power supply sitting on the floor...it weighs about 100kg and has three umbilical cables up to the amplifier: one for services and startup/shutdown protocol control and indication; one for the ac filaments/heaters; one for high voltage DC.

 

1269512858_DSETFirstStages1.jpg.bcdbc267cf2f0043fec8acace4728615.jpg 

 

I've really left no stone un-turned when designing and building this amp and at this stage there is not too much that I would change about its layout and operation.  All six channels are driven by 6e5p or 6e6p tubes in triode mode.  Each amplifier is designed and tuned for a specific frequency range and transducer to which it is directly connected.  No passive crossovers...electronic filters are included at the input of each channel.  Power tubes vary according to the intended load: full 6c33c for the bass channel; half 6C33C for mid-bass channel; half 6c33c for upper-bass channel; lower mids uses no power tube and is a single stage stage amp; mid-range can be adjusted for 2.5v and 4v DHT tubes such as 2a3, 45, YO186, RE604, KL71403 et cetera; the HF amp is direct coupled to the transformer integrated in the RAAL ribbon transducer and  again is a single stage triode.

 

Here it is in full glow late in the afternoon with curtains drawn.  Those two purple gas regulator tubes are for the unusual bias arrangement and enable this amp to be DC coupled.  I've got to find some time to measure and evaluate all the channels, and then finish building the second monobloc.

 

1980325235_DSETFullGlow.jpg.63144eb6d7c594caf1e626244d0b956f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, acg said:

I'm at the pointy end of commissioning the first of my completely hand-built 6 Channel SET monoblocs.  I started with a basic circuit and had Lucas of Black Art Audio custom wind all the iron apart from output transformers, and designed the chassis around them.

 

Here is the first amp undergoing some testing on my electronics bench.  Note the power supply sitting on the floor...it weighs about 100kg and has three umbilical cables up to the amplifier: one for services and startup/shutdown protocol control and indication; one for the ac filaments/heaters; one for high voltage DC.

 

1269512858_DSETFirstStages1.jpg.bcdbc267cf2f0043fec8acace4728615.jpg 

 

I've really left no stone un-turned when designing and building this amp and at this stage there is not too much that I would change about its layout and operation.  All six channels are driven by 6e5p or 6e6p tubes in triode mode.  Each amplifier is designed and tuned for a specific frequency range and transducer to which it is directly connected.  No passive crossovers...electronic filters are included at the input of each channel.  Power tubes vary according to the intended load: full 6c33c for the bass channel; half 6C33C for mid-bass channel; half 6c33c for upper-bass channel; lower mids uses no power tube and is a single stage stage amp; mid-range can be adjusted for 2.5v and 4v DHT tubes such as 2a3, 45, YO186, RE604, KL71403 et cetera; the HF amp is direct coupled to the transformer integrated in the RAAL ribbon transducer and  again is a single stage triode.

 

Here it is in full glow late in the afternoon with curtains drawn.  Those two purple gas regulator tubes are for the unusual bias arrangement and enable this amp to be DC coupled.  I've got to find some time to measure and evaluate all the channels, and then finish building the second monobloc.

 

1980325235_DSETFullGlow.jpg.63144eb6d7c594caf1e626244d0b956f.jpg

Crazy good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...