houdinifangs

Show us your tubes

May be worth trying in my DAC Dennis, where did you find this may I ask?
A guy from Ukraine on Ebay I bought tube from before, there are a few GEC 6X5G on auction atm from other sellers.
I think the "G" is better than "GT" after trying a few "GT".

On 08/12/2018 at 9:53 AM, mwhouston said:

Everytime I think my tube buying days are over, I buy more tubes. Lately three pairs of the of Psvane 6SN7-SEs at $560 a pair. Lord help me. 

The PSvane 6SN7 treasure globes were an exceptional improvement in my preamp. It was like a complete preamp upgrade. Was I the bad influence for you?

Edited by Ittaku

14 hours ago, Ittaku said:

The PSvane 6SN7 treasure globes were an exceptional improvement in my preamp. It was like a complete preamp upgrade. Was I the bad influence for you?

The tubes I use are Grant Fidelity globes and are not sure how it ties in with Psvane etc. You may be able to enlighten me. I have built probably a dozen tube preamps over the years and sold as many. I've always loved them with SS power amps or tube power amps. 

Ive built two preamps using the Globes and now a third for another admirer. I really haven't listen to anything else for many months but know I just want them in my system. I wouldn't let the first one go untill I'd built a replacement for it. And as I said I've had a request for another which is well stated.

The first one "Grace" which now has a new home has had some accolades from its very deserning new owner. He has sent me a number of glowing observations about the the preamp. The parts quality is up there with starting with Jensen copper PIO caps etc. 

I'm particularly interested in your comments. I guess the tubes are very good seeing we both have different builds and both feel the preamp is exceptionally good. Good to here. Happy to hear more comments on this thread or PM me.

Guest scumbag

Had another pair of 6922 knocked back by customs..... I need to find out from the supplier why this has happened.

23 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Had another pair of 6922 knocked back by customs..... I need to find out from the supplier why this has happened.

Ebay Global Shipping by chance?

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

The tubes I use are Grant Fidelity globes and are not sure how it ties in with Psvane etc. You may be able to enlighten me. I have built probably a dozen tube preamps over the years and sold as many. I've always loved them with SS power amps or tube power amps. 

Ive built two preamps using the Globes and now a third for another admirer. I really haven't listen to anything else for many months but know I just want them in my system. I wouldn't let the first one go untill I'd built a replacement for it. And as I said I've had a request for another which is well stated.

The first one "Grace" which now has a new home has had some accolades from its very deserning new owner. He has sent me a number of glowing observations about the the preamp. The parts quality is up there with starting with Jensen copper PIO caps etc. 

I'm particularly interested in your comments. I guess the tubes are very good seeing we both have different builds and both feel the preamp is exceptionally good. Good to here. Happy to hear more comments on this thread or PM me.

Yes they're the ones sold by Grand Fidelity, the 6SN7-SE treasure globes. I use them in my Supratek preamp, and have mentioned them here many pages back (including photos.)  They were the only valves I put in that maintained the same tonal quality yet added incredible amount of detail to the leading edge and improved the microdynamics. They made me throw out a whole lot of NOS tubes that had fairly subtle changes by comparison.

Guest scumbag
13 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Ebay Global Shipping by chance?

Yup!

3 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Yup!

Yeah crap. I had some rare Mullard long plate 12ax7 go missing due to that same reason. Then I found out the stupid reason why.

Guest scumbag
39 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Yeah crap. I had some rare Mullard long plate 12ax7 go missing due to that same reason. Then I found out the stupid reason why.

Assume the presence of lead and other toxins?

Yeah, pretty much. Its a policy of the company that Ebay employ for all Global Shipping. They have a rule that effects all tubes when only a small number of them that are regularly sold are really dangerous ie radioactive etc

Guest scumbag
Just now, Gryffles said:

Yeah, pretty much. Its a policy of the company that Ebay employ for all Global Shipping. They have a rule that effects all tubes when only a small number of them that are regularly sold are really dangerous ie radioactive etc

So my 6922 tubes are really dangerous. Damn, I knew this hobby was bad fro my health.

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Yes they're the ones sold by Grand Fidelity, the 6SN7-SE treasure globes. I use them in my Supratek preamp, and have mentioned them here many pages back (including photos.)  They were the only valves I put in that maintained the same tonal quality yet added incredible amount of detail to the leading edge and improved the microdynamics. They made me throw out a whole lot of NOS tubes that had fairly subtle changes by comparison.

Before Grace was sold I was asked to explain the sound. I came up with they seem to handle detail a lot better and present it extremely well. Funny you have the same feeling. So it must be true. 

Edited by mwhouston

1 minute ago, scumbag said:

So it's the packaging, not the tube that seems to be the issue. That's good - imagine a global ban on shipping tubes....

God, image that. Not as crazy as it sounds. Some silly bugger in government will come up with this. Like I heard they are/were intending to ban all animal products in Europe. Guess what gut strings are made from for a lot of instruments.  

As as one local user said it is a part of the animal which is discarded anyhow. Isn't it better to use that part? 

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

God, image that. Not as crazy as it sounds. Some silly bugger in government will come up with this. Like I heard they are/were intending to ban all animal products in Europe. Guess what gut strings are made from for a lot of instruments.  

As as one local user said it is a part of the animal which is discarded anyhow. Isn't it better to use that part? 

Well the EU went about systematically getting rid of all possible carcinogenic ingredients in fragrances. Now we have insipid copies of the originals that have neither the initial strength or character of the original nor do they last as long on the skin.  Let me give myself cancer and smell good I say!

Guest scumbag
4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Hey I'm three post off 5K posts.

Are you? (he says, trying to get a response to make it 4999).

I've built a  to a few power amp using this tube; http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/psvane-cv181-tii/ as the driver. I thought they somerd good in the mix. I have a few over so I may do another active load (totem pole like Grace and Elite) build with these tubes. 

Not or as sexy as the globes but cool I thier own right. Cheaper than the globes too. 

Here is where I used the CV181 in a very expensive 300B I built for a friend. The amp got sold twice so I can't enjoy it any more. I think the CV181 cost about $125 going back about 7 years. The 300Bs are carbon plate, limited aditions and cost $1500 a pair. I bought two pair. The spare pair has never been out of the box. 

The seperate PS has no electrolytics, all Mundorf polypropylene filter caps. Interstage caps were Audio Note silver foil PIO currently $450 each.  So I bought two pairs. One pair now in a MC step up stage. No longer used I've gone back to MM cart. 

image.jpeg

14 minutes ago, scumbag said:

Are you? (he says, trying to get a response to make it 4999).

Your no scumbag, thanks make that 5001 and counting. On another Canadian forum I'm on I was promised a chicken in a can when I reached 5K posts. Still waiting for the chicken. 

Any my offers here? 

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

Your no scumbag, thanks make that 5001 and counting. On another Canadian forum I'm on I was promised a chicken in a can when I reached 5K posts. Still waiting for the chicken. 

Any my offers here? 

A can?

Yes in Canada you can buy a cooked chicken in a can.

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

They even teased me with an image of the can. 

The one you'll be sitting on after eating the canned chicken?