houdinifangs

Show us your tubes

15 minutes ago, Ihearmusic said:

Putting this 300B I bought off a member😉 To good use. (And his matched brother)

Details will be released some time in the future.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looking interesting...🤙....😎

Your favourite,

seperate power supply for driver and 300B, DC heater on the driver and Rod Coleman DC filament supply on the 300B.

momo block.

6 clean watt🙄

9 hours ago, Aperalim said:

Speaking of rectifiers I have 20 x GZ34, 10 per channel in my Voxativ field coil power supplies...

Need to replace the current tunes one day but finding so many good NOS GZ34 is not so easy...

It's gonna cost you a pretty penny but:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/rectifier-tubes/products/philips-5r4gys-made-in-holland

Disclaimer: I've never bought these, I don't know if they live up to the hype surrounding them, I don't know if they're worth their cost, and I don't know if they'll fit into your power supplies.

Edited by Ittaku

10 hours ago, Aperalim said:

Speaking of rectifiers I have 20 x GZ34, 10 per channel in my Voxativ field coil power supplies...

Need to replace the current tunes one day but finding so many good NOS GZ34 is not so easy...

I have Field Coil drivers myself & as the PSUs provide DC supply for the EM coils, I guess that this no. of rectifiers are in parallel.... in an attempt to provide a lowest poss impedance 9-18vdc supply? (One could argue that the lspkr 'back EMF' should be met by the lowest poss magnet imped.)

(Plse don't take personal offence, I have a tube-rectified FC PSU myself, but I read...)

Voxativ make a statement about energy conservation (being German) but that's a lot of filament heating watts per ch! ;)

Don't go burning up 20 x NOS Mullards just for a FC PSU! 😪 (MHO only)

Cheers, Owen

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/

Cheers for your feedback Con and Owen.

I certainly had no intention of going full tilt with super premium Bruxelles plant Philips GZ34 as the cost would be extraordinary and probably take me many years to amass 10 mint pairs !!  But these Genalex U77/GZ34 have been recommended and relatively affordable: 

http://tubeaudio.com.au/genalex-gold-lion-gz34-u77/

I forgot to mention the Voxativ N5 field coil power supplies are adjustable in 0.5V DC steps and were conceived and developed as alternatives to the acclaimed vintage WE Tungar rectifier field coil power supplies.  The N5 yielded a significant improvement over my previous solid state field coil power supplies.

Cheers

I have used a number Genalex power and pre tubes over the years and always found them good performers and good value for money.