Show us your tubes

Guest scumbag

I have a pet theory about the stalk / frame affecting the treble region. I don't have any sort of rigorous testing to prove that theory. I just find that symmetrical frames sound better to my ears. 

2 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

The thing I found that makes the most difference in the Siemens E88cc group is the dividing shield between the plates.

The grey shield had a full, saturated sound which is superb whilst the silver shield are more aggressive.

I paid hundreds to get A frames from OS and that's all good but yeah, was quite harsh in my setup, sold them on in no time which I knew I would be able to anyhow so nothing lost. Am not sure which ones I had-

In the case of the Stereo Knight, Darren had 6H30 tubes in the mix. Without meaning to put words in Darren's mouth, the combo of the SS / precise 6H30 and the Siemens was too much of a good thing. The Siemens are very detailed and have plenty of oomph for sure. Ironically, I've had really good results with the lowly Amperex frame Dimple disc 6922's. A very cheap and easy to get tube. Works brilliantly in my BHK Preamp. 
Ah 6H30 super tube, you are probably right.
Mine running with 12ax7, and next is to get a Raytheon 5751 windmill to replace the ax7.

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I paid hundreds to get A frames from OS and that's all good but yeah, was quite harsh in my setup, sold them on in no time which I knew I would be able to anyhow so nothing lost. Am not sure which ones I had-

The shields look silver in the pics but the angles aren't ideal to be sure. My experience mirrors yours with those tubes though, until I got my hands on the grey shield. Amazing how different they were

Edited by Gryffles
typo
  • Like 1

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

Crystal clear 6H30, crystal clear Siemens, zero-sound transformer attenuation!!! 

The thing I found that makes the most difference in the Siemens E88cc group is the dividing shield between the plates.
The grey shield had a full, saturated sound which is superb whilst the silver shield are more aggressive.
Good to know, I might try the grey plate first
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, dwbasement said:
35 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Good to know, I might try the grey plate first

Definitely do not sell the Philips to fund the purchase, unless you sell them to me of course. ;)

Best tubes I have heard so far, though I have not heard a huge amount of them.

Guest scumbag
1 minute ago, Darren69 said:

Definitely do not sell the Philips to fund the purchase, unless you sell them to me of course. ;)

No, me!!!

Definitely do not sell the Philips to fund the purchase, unless you sell them to me of course. [emoji6]

Sure Darren, at the moment the Philips is the best I've heard too, again like you Ihave not heard a lot. [emoji2]
  • Like 1

Guest scumbag
17 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Sure Darren, at the moment the Philips is the best I've heard too, again like you Ihave not heard a lot. emoji2.png

Gosh darnit.

Lol, I received a package today and opened it, I didn't even remember I bought a Siemens E88CC gold pins (not a CCa though). Haven't really tested it yet as it is a bit late so only low volume listening, will give it a go again tomorrow. 20181130_220705.jpg

• Like 1

My 6as7 is at Eric's for a service check, so I have a 300b from him while waiting, I didn't realise the glow on 300b is not that visible, kind of boring..... can only see the glow from the top, is that why people like the meshed plate so you can actually see it glows?...20181206_210721.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwbasement said:

My 6as7 is at Eric's for a service check, so I have a 300b from him while waiting, I didn't realise the glow on 300b is not that visible, kind of boring..... can only see the glow from the top, is that why people like the meshed plate so you can actually see it glows?...20181206_210721.jpg

Very different beasts.  The 6AS7 is indirectly heated, i.e. it has a heater inside the cathode, but it often sticks out a bit at the ends and is very visible. A 300B is directly heated, i.e. has a filament that IS the cathode.  In my similar 6B4G and 2A3 tubes you can look down inside the anode structure from the top and see the filament strung out between tensioners, through the mica spacer.  I guess it depends on the transparency of it whether you get much glow in your particular 300B tubes.  

No tube to show, just want to let you guys know that I recently bought a tube on Ebay from a commercial seller "Lci_electronics" the tube arrived working but failed after a few hours.... unfortunately because the item was working when at arrival, Ebay advised that I won't be able to get a refund or return, and seller simply said sorry...bad luck as it is vintage tube and tested doesn't mean it will last, and they priced the item based on the condition.
I will never buy from this seller again for sure.

17 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

No tube to show, just want to let you guys know that I recently bought a tube on Ebay from a commercial seller "Lci_electronics" the tube arrived working but failed after a few hours.... unfortunately because the item was working when at arrival, Ebay advised that I won't be able to get a refund or return, and seller simply said sorry...bad luck as it is vintage tube and tested doesn't mean it will last, and they priced the item based on the condition.
I will never buy from this seller again for sure.

I've given up on EBay completely for valves. I've been burnt three times and got my money back two out of those three times.

All cases of valves that were worn out

I've given up on EBay completely for valves. I've been burnt three times and got my money back two out of those three times.

All cases of valves that were worn out

Well, this is the first time for me, and have been all fine, I guess I should consider that I am lucky?! I normally buy from a few sellers that I bought from before so it is safe kind of. I found commercial sellers are the worst, private ones are generally pretty reliable.

Guest scumbag

I've had a few bad experiences on Fleabay.

Fake valves.

Noisy valves. I had a really abusive seller who was peppering me with messages about this. I then gave up on Ebay and created a Paypal complaint. I told him I'd report him and he then accused me of being abusive. Not pleasant.

Really dirty valves (pins covered in corrosion and junk).

Wrong valves sent. That was another pain in the arse seller.

Valves intercepted due to the fact that they contained prohibited chemicals. Which is odd as I've had the same valves sent via ebay before and since without incident.

But then you pick up the occasional good buy. If I knew tubes better it would perhaps increase my success rate.

I have had consistently better experiences with dedicated tube sellers (for example tubeworld.com) etc. I guess I should learn from that!

Edited by scumbag

I had one 1920 UX-171A which was had an open cct. filament. I have brought tubes from these guys before with no problems. I contacted them and returned the tube. They apologised and refunded all money's. 

Also so from tube depot I received a couple of 6AS7s which were extremely low on emissions. I kept the tubes and they refunded the money. So far so good. 

4 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Yes, normally sellers are very good from my experience. That is why I want to point out this one Lci electronics which is terrible.

Everytime I think my tube buying days are over, I buy more tubes. Lately three pairs of the of Psvane 6SN7-SEs at $560 a pair. Lord help me. 

• Like 2

I did my first tube rolling in my MC275 today.

When I purchased it I decided to give the factory tubes 150 hours to settle and then start at the input stage and work my way through doing some rolling.

Today I swapped the Input and Phase Inverter Mcintosh Branded (JJ’s 12AX7’s) for some Tung Sol 12AX7’s which I picked up from Neil at The Valve Store yesterday. Positive results so far [emoji106]

a759ed5e5d17925c58fe97d7bd86d28c.jpg

38f9a73e76b6eb7da6c86feabaecf81e.jpg

1b577160e9d126883c0f3507fb7f0243.jpg

• Like 2

New arrival, GEC 6X5G, it is amazing! It is better in every way compare to 6X5GT, only thing is that it is much taller than 6X5GT and I can close the lid of my Leben....
Will need to get some nuts and long screws to lift up the lid somehow, it is definitely a keeper even the lid doesn't fit.20181209_210929.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dwbasement said:

New arrival, GEC 6X5G, it is amazing! It is better in every way compare to 6X5GT, only thing is that it is much taller than 6X5GT and I can close the lid of my Leben....
Will need to get some nuts and long screws to lift up the lid somehow, it is definitely a keeper even the lid doesn't fit.20181209_210929.jpg

May be worth trying in my DAC Dennis, where did you find this may I ask?