Show us your tubes

Different. Gec best ‘analytical’ tube, Bendix best ‘relaxing’ tube in most generalised terms. Couldn’t part with either of them.
I love the GEC but have not tried Bendix before. What other brands you think are similar to Bendix type of Sound?

1 hour ago, dwbasement said:
5 hours ago, Tintinsnowydog said:

Different. Gec best ‘analytical’ tube, Bendix best ‘relaxing’ tube in most generalised terms. Couldn’t part with either of them.

I love the GEC but have not tried Bendix before. What other brands you think are similar to Bendix type of Sound?

hard to describe, I think bendix is a very unique tube. Think a Mullard 6080, but less soupy and much more accurate. bass presence is better (very slightly more in quantity, but better precision and more controlled), mids still liquid smooth but not Mullard smooth (I don't think any tube can match Mullard mid liquidity), treble still slightly rolled. Compared to GEC, less accuracy/microdetail, slightly better separation, more relaxed sound.

Would describe Bendix's the overall presentation as accurate and very elegantly controlled, but still fundamentally warm+enjoyable in tone. If you ever come down to VIC I will let you try them! They are very expensive and hard to find now. 

Edited by Tintinsnowydog
  • Like 1

hard to describe, I think bendix is a very unique tube. Think a Mullard 6080, but less soupy and much more accurate. bass presence is better (very slightly more in quantity, but better precision and more controlled), mids still liquid smooth but not Mullard smooth (I don't think any tube can match Mullard mid liquidity), treble still slightly rolled. Compared to GEC, less accuracy/microdetail, slightly better separation, more relaxed sound.

Would describe Bendix's the overall presentation as accurate and very elegantly controlled, but still fundamentally warm+enjoyable in tone. If you ever come down to VIC I will let you try them! They are very expensive and hard to find now. 
Thanks mate.
I had mullard before but sold them, kept the Chatham Chatham Jan CAHG copper grids instead also like the 2399. Had a listen to WE before at my mates but not in my setup so can't really say much...
Thanks for your offer and info!

Guest Muon N'
3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Have been looking (presumably in the wrong places) for a local seller of Seimens A frame 6922, any suggestions choobaphiles?

Are these same?

Guest Muon N'

Those NOS Svetlana 6L6 are very good, I haven't used them but with the Svetlana EL34's I found the Svetlana Winged C's better then non C's. Make sure they are nos and not newer production as the Svetlana name and many others are now owned by the American distribution company New Sensor.

I have never purchased from Waterford Valves, but they appear to have stock of original Winged C's. Maybe see if you can find these at a better price, I'm not sure of the going rate.

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=273

I have used this guy before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6L6GC-SVETLANA-WINGED-C-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE/262905762797?epid=698605925&hash=item3d366793ed:g:HnEAAOSw4CFY0nCq

Edited by Muon N'

17 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Those NOS Svetlana 6L6 are very good, I haven't used them but with the Svetlana EL34's I found the Svetlana Winged C's better then non C's. Make sure they are nos and not newer production as the Svetlana name and many others are now owned by the American distribution company New Sensor.

I have never purchased from Waterford Valves, but they appear to have stock of original Winged C's. Maybe see if you can find these at a better price, I'm not sure of the going rate.

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=273

I have used this guy before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6L6GC-SVETLANA-WINGED-C-NOS-BOXED-VALVE-TUBE/262905762797?epid=698605925&hash=item3d366793ed:g:HnEAAOSw4CFY0nCq

How do i know if the Svetlana 6L6's in my amp are NOS and not newer production?

I've read that the RCA blackplates are the top ones to use but could be hard to get and maybe subjectable? 

Guest Muon N'
40 minutes ago, Sansui77 said:

How do i know if the Svetlana 6L6's in my amp are NOS and not newer production?

I've read that the RCA blackplates are the top ones to use but could be hard to get and maybe subjectable? 

The date code appears to be year 1999 and 8th month, previous to New Sensor.

The company was established in 1889 as the Ya. M. Aivaz (Russian: Я. М. Айваз) Factory.[4] Svetlana was a major producer of vacuum tubes. In 1937, the Soviet Union purchased a tube assembly line from RCA, including production licenses and initial staff training, and installed it on the St Petersburg plant.[5] US-licensed tubes were produced since then.

Since 2001, New Sensor Corp. has been holding the rights for the Svetlana vacuum tube brand for the US and Canada.[6][7] The New Sensor tubes are actually manufactured at the Xpo-pul factory (former Reflektor plant) in Saratov. Tubes manufactured by Svetlana in Saint Petersburg still bear the "winged С" (cyrillic S) logo (see the image below) but no longer the name Svetlana.

In 2017 the company announced a 3 billion ruble modernization plan.[8]

Preferences are always subjective, some folk like bloated bass ect'. Myself I like a good balance top to bottom with nice mids as that's where most of the music is.

I have limited experience with 6L6 tubes, so i can't comment on the RCA black plates.

Give it time and others will chime in on this :)

Edit: As a side note, SED ceased production of Winged C tubes in 2012, and with that it is said that a lot of 'seconds' of the SED branded tubes came on the market, So might be a gamble if looking at the SED branded ones, best to look for the earlier Svetlana branded Winged C's prior to New Sensor taking the name, if looking for Winged C's

Edited by Muon N'

4 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Preferences are always subjective, some folk like bloated bass ect'. Myself I like a good balance top to bottom with nice mids as that's where most of the music is.

I have limited experience with 6L6 tubes, so i can't comment on the RCA black plates.

Thanks Muon N'. Didn't take notice of the number on the bottom of the GC's which makes sense now ?  

Hope someone can chime in??

On 2 September 2018 at 4:24 PM, dwbasement said:

GEC 6AS7 and GEC 6080, both sound really nice but I think 6AS7 is more exciting than 6080 especially for orchestral music, 6080 probably a bit more natural and smoother when I listen to solo music especially the cello.20180902_161622.jpg20180902_162052.jpg

I use these in my tube HP amps. Tap the top of the tubes and if there is a microphonics problem. In the end I was selecting tubes on the basis that there was no microphonics. Sound were extremely bad. 

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

The company was established in 1889 as the Ya. M. Aivaz (Russian: Я. М. Айваз) Factory.[4] Svetlana was a major producer of vacuum tubes. In 1937, the Soviet Union purchased a tube assembly line from RCA, including production licenses and initial staff training, and installed it on the St Petersburg plant.[5] US-licensed tubes were produced since then.

Since 2001, New Sensor Corp. has been holding the rights for the Svetlana vacuum tube brand for the US and Canada.[6][7] The New Sensor tubes are actually manufactured at the Xpo-pul factory (former Reflektor plant) in Saratov. Tubes manufactured by Svetlana in Saint Petersburg still bear the "winged С" (cyrillic S) logo (see the image below) but no longer the name Svetlana.

In 2017 the company announced a 3 billion ruble modernization plan.[8]

Edit: As a side note, SED ceased production of Winged C tubes in 2012, and with that it is said that a lot of 'seconds' of the SED branded tubes came on the market, So might be a gamble if looking at the SED branded ones, best to look for the earlier Svetlana branded Winged C's prior to New Sensor taking the name, if looking for Winged C's

@Sansui77

There are some excellent 6l6gc tubes around but some are very expensive now.

Ive had RCA black plate and they are good. 

Presently have been using British Tungsram (Mullard) CV1947. Trounce the RCA in all areas. Quite a different sound. Rare and expensive.

Only buy from reputable dealers as good matched quads are not so common. Forget ebay all together unless you can get any purchase tested upon arrival and you may still have to pay return shipping.

Dont forget you can use KT66 but forget about NOS and look at the Gold Lions.

Edited by Gryffles

I use these in my tube HP amps. Tap the top of the tubes and if there is a microphonics problem. In the end I was selecting tubes on the basis that there was no microphonics. Sound were extremely bad. 
Luckily I don't have that problem at all.
In fact none of the 6080, 6as7 and variants have that problem. Except I haven't tried WE and Bendix...

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

I second @dwbasement 's comment, my gec tubes have never had microphonic problems; I think they're one of the highest quality controlled brands out there! Some of my RCA 6as7gs are microphonic, my tung sol 5998s are also really sensitive to electronic interference, waving my phone near the amp gets them ringing like crazy. Check your signal tubes as well perhaps?

I second [mention=147028]dwbasement[/mention] 's comment, my gec tubes have never had microphonic problems; I think they're one of the highest quality controlled brands out there! Some of my RCA 6as7gs are microphonic, my tung sol 5998s are also really sensitive to electronic interference, waving my phone near the amp gets them ringing like crazy. Check your signal tubes as well perhaps?
Eric? You bought my spare gec 6080 on Ebay right? I remember your username. Should have bought from my sna listing, reduced price as no Ebay fee...and sna gets donation too.
Next time mate.

4 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Eric? You bought my spare gec 6080 on Ebay right? I remember your username. Should have bought from my sna listing, reduced price as no Ebay fee...and sna gets donation too.
Next time mate.

Yes it was me that bought it! Stupid me didn't even check here for listings, next time :)

must say your 6080's sound fantastic, even though backlite base is chipped no problems whatsoever, thanks!

Edited by Tintinsnowydog

Yes it was me that bought it! Stupid me didn't even check here for listings, next time [emoji4]
Have you tried Chatham 2399 before? Suppose there same as 5998 but in my amp it sounds better hence I sold the 5998. 2399 seems to have better overall clarity otherwise pretty much the same as 5998.

1 minute ago, dwbasement said:
6 minutes ago, Tintinsnowydog said:
Yes it was me that bought it! Stupid me didn't even check here for listings, next time emoji4.png

Have you tried Chatham 2399 before? Suppose there same as 5998 but in my amp it sounds better hence I sold the 5998. 2399 seems to have better overall clarity otherwise pretty much the same as 5998.

really want to get my hands on one, they seem to be the hardest one in the whole family to find, yet to see a single listing anywhere since i started looking. From what I've read they are the same tubes rebranded, but ofc there's the issue of dates and quality control/reason for rebranding in the first place so likely they may sound a bit better! Let me know if you find a pair selling anywhere 

really want to get my hands on one, they seem to be the hardest one in the whole family to find, yet to see a single listing anywhere since i started looking. From what I've read they are the same tubes rebranded, but ofc there's the issue of dates and quality control/reason for rebranding in the first place so likely they may sound a bit better! Let me know if you find a pair selling anywhere 
True, very hard to find. I got mine from the guy who built my amps.
Will let you know if I see any around.

On 03/09/2018 at 6:08 PM, Gryffles said:

There are some excellent 6l6gc tubes around but some are very expensive now.

By the way, Tung-sol make a modern updated tube which is meant to be a drop-in replacement for the 6l6gc with more headroom (35W dissipation vs 30W), the 7581A. "The 7581A tube can be used in any 6L6 based tube circuit" according to their website. I have no idea what they sound like as output tubes though, but I have a pair in my preamp power supply as regulator tubes, and got a matched pair from https://www.thetubestore.com/tung-sol-7581a Given their affordability they might be interesting to listen to to compare to some of the older much more expensive ones. Here's what they look like in action, if a little blurry.

IMG_20180904_193143.thumb.jpg.fccf6ce9508437663781f3dedda1f3c5.jpg

Edited by Ittaku
  • Like 1