Show us your tubes

On 11/12/2017 at 9:18 PM, mwhouston said:

Here is a headphone amp kit from Oatley. You can't actually order it now but you can soon. I have had this prototype for several months now but have finally mounted it. I have bread boarded it. There were a number of reasons that encasing this little gem may have been difficult. So a bread board (think the K12). It is on a Pete Evens chopping board. I'm know that will insure an organic sound.

All 6J6 NOS GEs, it doesn't get much better than that. I'm wrong it does get better, OPTs drive your phones. Think what you may pay for this if not an Oatley product.

Im not saying too much here a second prototype with changes will be out soon. More sonic comments then. For now, I'm enjoying it very much but there are some changes to be made which Oatley have agreed too.

Very much looking forward to this one.   How's it coming...  anytime soon?  :)

13 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Very much looking forward to this one.   How's it coming...  anytime soon?  :)

Again I was talking with Oatley a few days back and they are still considering a different PS. One thought is to go with a SMPS. This would stop any problems with magnetic induction into the OPTs from the power tranni which is occurring now.

OR a small toriodal. Currently there is a very faint hum. Turning the power tranni 90degress fixes most of this. Moving the tranni far back also works. An ideal I'm going to try is encapsulating the OPTs in time cans. It doesn't have to look bad. The cans can be sprayed. Or an iron shield in front of the power tranni.

i am talking very low levels of hum here but when on phones even small amounts can be heard depending on phones.

As I hear I'll post here.  The kit is a way off yet.

13 hours ago, MC240 said:

Hi all recently I was listening to my McIntosh MC240 with out warning it went silent

Paul...is Canberra too far away...excellent R&M there...

Not a trick question...I am a Qlder currently living in Junee (temporarily)...

So much of a muchness...Melb Vs Canberra...

Just what works best for you...

12 hours ago, Rob181 said:

Paul...is Canberra too far away...excellent R&M there...

Not a trick question...I am a Qlder currently living in Junee (temporarily)...

So much of a muchness...Melb Vs Canberra...

Just what works best for you...

Melbourne is about 3 to the outskirts 4 by the time I muck around from home by the time I do Canberra and get lost it's 4 1/2, I know Junee haven't been there for 18 years geez time flys.

Edited by MC240

Had some buddies call in on the weekend. Dragged things from the man cave to the house for the day.

I've gotta do something with the man cave, this dragging gear around has got old really quick.

Weston Acoustics, Golden Age Audio, Line magnetic, Clear Audio, Troels DTQWT.

IMG_2850.thumb.jpg.fb75c89a47ab04d7a3bed5468dfd9c55.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up tried all my AT7 and variants.
Tele 801S
Amperex 6201
Mullard M8162
Dario 18ECC pinched waist
Dario E180CC
Mullard E180CC pinched waist
They are all very close, I ended up leaving the 18ECC in atm cus i need its lower gain in my phono atm temporary, it is very well balanced on everything just like the tele 801s
6201 has really good bass, 18ecc is just well balance.
Mullard E180CC PW has really good vocal, Dario E180CC is very close to Mullard PW.
8162 has very good high and clear vocal but a bit less bass, doesn't match my horn setup which I need more bass as I don't have a bass box. I have a full range looking after the bass department so good bass tubes are gold to me.
782b926a90e2ae1dc6132149d6b25def.jpg4524eabcb577fbb68483f71e61982fd5.jpg

• Like 1

dwbasement have you tried GEC A2900 tubes? I use them in my phono.
Not yet, only if I can get a pair with reasonable price, way over priced tubes. But I do know how good GEC tubes are, mt amp is using their 6as7 brown base atm.
What do think about the 2900? In comparison to other at7 tubes.

I used to have a stash of GEC 6as7g. Awesome tubes. I greatly prefer the a2900 over the telefunkens, mullards, 50's amperex and brimar 6060T. If you like the sound stage and transparency of the tele's, think of the GEC's as a Tele but with meat on the bones. It has the tone and body closer to the mullards. I tend to find Tele's sound lean where as the GEC more organic. Bass is much better than 801s. However they tend to be more microphonic. BTW what phono you using?

I used to have a stash of GEC 6as7g. Awesome tubes. I greatly prefer the a2900 over the telefunkens, mullards, 50's amperex and brimar 6060T. If you like the sound stage and transparency of the tele's, think of the GEC's as a Tele but with meat on the bones. It has the tone and body closer to the mullards. I tend to find Tele's sound lean where as the GEC more organic. Bass is much better than 801s. However they tend to be more microphonic. BTW what phono you using?

Yes, Tele is not very good at bass. I think 18ecc is similar to what you said about 2900. Have you tried before? They are all gone now I believe.

I use a Leben phono with Duc’s SUT