Show us your tubes

Hey Tasso, what are 101D tubes used for? I have one as a rectifier in my Melody but are they also used for something else?

DS

The 101D is a voice frequency and carrier-frequency amplifier.

In your case, it's used as a voltage regulator for the small signal tubes. I think.

Cheers, Earle.

Hey Tasso, what are 101D tubes used for? I have one as a rectifier in my Melody but are they also used for something else?

DS

In the Melody they are used for rectification as Earle said. In the Coincident Statement Line Stage and a couple of other preamps they are used as a gain stage. Their original use was for telephony in the 1920's but being DHT they can provide a stunning sound. As we have seen there are many tubes being used for audio these days that had their genesis in other applications.

Western Electric tightly controlled the distribution of 101D and did not permit other companies to manufacture them. Consequently they were not widely used for audio until recently when the Chinese tube manufacturers entered the market. NOS WE tubes are incredibly expensive and can fetch over $2k for a very old pair and their pin sizes do not match the new ones. PSVane obviously saw a market for an exact replica and thankfully they make 2 versions, 1 with the original pin size and another with the newer 300B pin sizes.

They cost me around $680 in Guangzhou for the pair and I think they are worth every penny.

In the Melody they are used for rectification as Earle said. In the Coincident Statement Line Stage and a couple of other preamps they are used as a gain stage. Their original use was for telephony in the 1920's but being DHT they can provide a stunning sound. As we have seen there are many tubes being used for audio these days that had their genesis in other applications.

Western Electric tightly controlled the distribution of 101D and did not permit other companies to manufacture them. Consequently they were not widely used for audio until recently when the Chinese tube manufacturers entered the market. NOS WE tubes are incredibly expensive and can fetch over $2k for a very old pair and their pin sizes do not match the new ones. PSVane obviously saw a market for an exact replica and thankfully they make 2 versions, 1 with the original pin size and another with the newer 300B pin sizes.

They cost me around $680 in Guangzhou for the pair and I think they are worth every penny.

Not I did not say that.

The 101D is used for voltage regulation, a big difference. Solid state rectifiers are used because they are cheap and easy.

Cheers, Earle.

• Like 3

solid state rectifiers may indeed be easy but have many other advantages. I think both our comments could spark a debate on the issue so if people are interested can we do it in a new thread. This one has been pretty good sticking to tubes without judgement being passed on designs

Edited by Tasso

STC 4101D?

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaj0177.htm

STC also manufactured quite a few other WE equivalents 4300B, 4310A, etc

I was quoting from an  'enjoythemusic.com' article which failed to mention the STC 4101D!   But wasn't STC related in some way to Western Electric? In any event  they are the exception to the general rule quoted in the article.

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 months later...