$200 Headphone budget and $200 dac/amp first timer

Hey guys well im going to start off small and get a nice setup for my laptop. For a total of $400 what headphone amp/dac would you go for. im happy for a diy amp/dac....

Now music choices for me, are all over the place....

Trance to dance to rock to hiphop to blues.

Thanks in advance guys

None of the suggestions above really suit your budget but if you're capable of sprucing for the extra, I think they are saying it's worth it.

I would say with that kind of budget you're better off getting a decent headphone first then spring for a amp/dac once you have a bit more money down the track.

For example, a HiFiMan HE-400 doesn't really need amping to sound good and can run off a laptop straight without too much issues. It costs $419 from memory in Australia (can be had for $409 from minidisc.com.au but not sure about reliability). Then you could get the O2 DAC/Amp or something similar once you have some more money.

That's my 2c.

Guest fordgtlover
None of the suggestions above really suit your budget but if you're capable of sprucing for the extra, I think they are saying it's worth it.

I would say with that kind of budget you're better off getting a decent headphone first then spring for a amp/dac once you have a bit more money down the track.

For example, a HiFiMan HE-400 doesn't really need amping to sound good and can run off a laptop straight without too much issues. It costs $419 from memory in Australia (can be had for $409 from minidisc.com.au but not sure about reliability). Then you could get the O2 DAC/Amp or something similar once you have some more money.

That's my 2c.

You could squeeze a DIY ODAC and O2 for under $200, just.

I would agree that the single biggest influence on SQ will be the transducer - headphones in this case. Something like the K701 is very nice and will benefit from improved DAC and amplification as you have funds available. I love the ATH-AD2000, which can be had 2nd hand for between $300 - $400.

If I were starting out knowing what I know now, I would buy the ATH-AD2000 and then save up for a DAC and an Amp.

Though they're more studio than Hi-fi, the KRK KNS6400s and KNS8400s are pretty hard to beat for the price. I picked up a pair on the strength of the reviews over at headfi, and love them. Bass is there, but not boomy or overpowered. Not as fatiguing as some sets I've heard. Very neutral overall, which may or may not suit depending on taste in music.

You could probably manage a set of the KNS6400's and a Little Dot MKII DAC (with a built in headphone amp) for around the $400 mark.

I agree with others here; spend all your money on a decent set of headphones and then save up for a better DAC/amp. Unfortunately this sort of thinking tends to lead to a never-ending upgrade cycle. So, decide whether you want a quick in/out solution, or whether you're after a bit of a journey. Then decide how you're going to spend your 400 (or more) dollars.

A mate just grabbed a pair of KRK KNS8400 from a store in Sydney, great service and only $129 & free shipping.

Very revealing, but that is as far as I'll comment until he gets 100 hours up on them.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up on these phones, JD79 :thumb:

Edited by datafone

I didn't want to comment as on first listen they had very recessed mids and no bass!

Mate just let me try them on my PC as I did when out of box, but now with only about 25hrs on them the difference is huge! more even with bass (tight and articulate) and the mids are there too.

Nice phones, and from what I have read on the net they get better over the first 100 odd hours, has me thinking about getting a pair myself while my  system is in storage..........and I'm a headphone hater :D

Edit: Keep in mind that I'm not very experienced with headphones.

Edited by datafone

As I said in another thread...................when young people try my 701's, they exclaim things like..........'They sound like speakers'!

'They don't sound like headphones'!

Mind you, most young people are used to hearing MP3's through > $20 headphones/buds.

• Like 1

well bit the bullet and i actually ordered the DT880 and i also ordered a set of ath-ad700. found the ath-ad700 for only $100 on ebay and i can mod them for a gaming set... thanks again guys now searching through suggested amps i really want to try something diy aswell. 

Found some nice cases 

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/beautiful-full-aluminium-DAC-BOX-chassis-for-DIY/379348949.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-beautiful-Headphone-AMP-chassis-box-full-Aluminum/379337890.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4x-Aluminum-feets-for-Power-amp-with-Rubber-ring-D-30mm-H-12mm/911703_712810014.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HiEnd-panda-classis-A-Headphone-AMP-KIT-great-sounds/705243_381440015.html

still doing lots of reading though and am going to order a 02 amp dac so i have something for the time being

As I said in another thread...................when young people try my 701's, they exclaim things like..........'They sound like speakers'!

'They don't sound like headphones'!

Mind you, most young people are used to hearing MP3's through > $20 headphones/buds.

The 701's have a great rep', would be interesting if someone was in a position to do a shoot-out with some of these headphones.

Guest fordgtlover
The 701's have a great rep', would be interesting if someone was in a position to do a shoot-out with some of these headphones.

There are plenty of shootouts over at head-fi, but at the end of the day it's all relative and subjective, and it's not just about the sound. Different headphones offer different benefits depending on the specifics of your requirements - comfort, portability, isolation, accuracy, and musicality.

I really liked the K701, but I like the older K501 even more. The ATH-AD700 sound very nice but don't sound nearly as good as the ATH-AD2000. My current favourites in heavy rotation are the ATH-M50, KSC-75, Sony MDRZX700, B&W P5 and the ATH-AD2000. They each offer something I really like in specific contexts.

Overall, I think the ATH-AD2000 sounds the best of all the headphones I own or have owned. If I was absolutley forced to keep just one set of headphones, it would be a tough call as to which one to keep. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to keep the AD2000, HD580 or K501 because they are all bulky and require amplification, which would seriously impede my ability to use these anywhere other than at home. The B&W P5 are really comfortable and have a very polite sound, but don't sound as accurate as most of the others. The MDRZX700 have great sound isolation and are really good for work, but being closed the sound reproduction can be a bit too closed in. The ATH-M50 are really nice (particularly with the velour earpads), but once again suffer from being closed. The Yuin PK3 don't sound nearly as good as their more expensive PK1 stablemate, which sound wonderful but really do sound best when amplified. So, that would leave the KSC-75, which while they don't isolate at all and are only OK on public transport or in loud environments they do generally sound really good, are very portable and are easily driven by any audio player. I have travelled around the world twice with mine, and they enabled me to listen to quality audio just about everywhere.

Yep, of the several thousands of dollars of headphones I own, I would keep a $30 set over any other if I had to choose just one. I assume others would keep different ones for different reasons.

If I was forced to keep just one for home use with amplification, the ATH-AD2000 would be the keepers. The new ATH-AD2000x were recently released - the first update in 10 or so years. As a result, the price of the originals has fallen considerably. Given that you can pick them up 2nd hand for about the same price as a new set of Beat(off)s,  the AD2000 is an absolute bargain regardless of how good the new version is.

As for the DT880 or any other Beyerdynamics, I heard them early on in my audio journey and they didn't really do it for me. I think I should revisit my position on them. On the journey goes.

Edited by fordgtlover
  • Like 1

Guest fordgtlover

I'll 2nd the DT880's, my first hifi phones, and my first (and still current) DAC is a Musiland MD10.  about $200 and good bang for buck i reckon. decent step up from a creative xfi anyhow.   Hoping to upgrade it to a Musical fidelity M1 DAC though as i think it'll be another step up.   Awaiting delivery  on  a shiny new Little Dot MKIV SE headphone amp which will finally do the phones justice, but that a bit over your price. MK III maybe though?

Cheers

I was more interested in direct comparisons between the KRK 8400's and phones like the 701's.