Sign in to follow this  
Bervy

Yamaha RX-V995 buzz in main channels

Been using this receiver as a basic stereo amp in my office running off the optical output of a Mac Pro - running ProAc clones.

Today it started buzzing in both channels, independent of volume knob, same on all sources. Could still hear the sources though, but the buzz is quite loud and doesn't change in volume with the source, but will change when balance is panned left & right.

I plugged he speakers into the B speaker output and it is the same.

Plugging the speakers into the surround channels and there is no buzz.

Any idea if this is a simple fix or is it time to upgrade?

Been using this receiver as a basic stereo amp in my office running off the optical output of a Mac Pro - running ProAc clones.

Today it started buzzing in both channels, independent of volume knob, same on all sources. Could still hear the sources though, but the buzz is quite loud and doesn't change in volume with the source, but will change when balance is panned left & right.

I plugged he speakers into the B speaker output and it is the same.

Plugging the speakers into the surround channels and there is no buzz.

Any idea if this is a simple fix or is it time to upgrade?

Unplug everything, except the speakers. If the buzz persists, send the amp to the man. If not, plug each component in, one by one and see which one is causing the fault.

Like ZB says -- and turn it off every time to change connections.

Thanks for the replies.

Still has the buzz with nothing plugged into it.

Not changed by volume. On every source. On both A & B speaker outputs but not surround outputs. I can however pan the buzz left and right.

My brother is a tech (industrial not AV gear) and would be able to replace caps or similar if that is where the issue is.

So, given the symptoms, what is the usual culprit?

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies.

Still has the buzz with nothing plugged into it.

Not changed by volume. On every source. On both A & B speaker outputs but not surround outputs. I can however pan the buzz left and right.

My brother is a tech (industrial not AV gear) and would be able to replace caps or similar if that is where the issue is.

So, given the symptoms, what is the usual culprit?

Thanks.

It could be one of about 100 things. There is no "usual culprit" in such cases. Send it to the man. If your brother is a tech, then he will require a service manual, appropriate test equipment and plenty of time. Focus on power supplies, blown earth tracks and loose screws.

Righto no worries. 

This then brings me to the question is it worth it?

It's obviously going to cost a couple of hundred just to diagnose, then parts & repairs on top of that.

So do I do that or chuck it and buy something else?

Cheers.

Righto no worries. 

This then brings me to the question is it worth it?

Only you and your tech can answer that question.

It's obviously going to cost a couple of hundred just to diagnose, then parts & repairs on top of that.

No idea. Ask your tech.

So do I do that or chuck it and buy something else?

Cheers.

I don't know. Your tech and yourself will need to make that decision.

Okay thanks.

Get your brother to have a look incase it is something obvious and a easy fix.

Otherwise I would buy something else to replace it instead of trying to get it fixed.

Something like this

http://www.synergyaudio.com/Cambridge-Audio/AV-Receivers/Cambridge-Audio-340R-A/V-Receiver-Silver--SN--0712-0328-/481/storeproductdetail.aspx

Edited by rocky500

Wow - is that amp really a $999 amp down to $199? If that's an okay amp I'll just buy that. 

It looks they are the importers/distributors for Cambridge Audio.

I would say they have old stock they want to clear.

Have a look at the other gear they have in the clearance section. Something else might appeal to you better.

I have not heard the brand myself but seems to always get pretty good reviews and I don't think you could go wrong for the price. Also could be a step up from your old yamaha.

Edited by rocky500

That looks great too but I chose the first one as it has optical in. The one you picked there I don't think has it, so you would have to work out another way to plug in your Mac Pro.

There is something like this to give you optical. Not sure if there any good.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-Toslink-SPDIF-to-Analog-RCA-L-R-Audio-Converter-/370721433601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5650b82801

Edited by rocky500

Yeah just looking at exactly that. Looks like demo stock - has condition report etc. Still looks good though.

Thanks for your help Rocky500. Much appreciated.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)