Sign in to follow this  
rocky500

Looking for an AVR with adjustable center dialog for person in their 80's

I am looking at buying an AVR that can have a setting for better dialogue or has an adjustable equalizer were I can boost the midrange.

Also that may take 4 ohm speakers.

It is to be setup for someone in their 80's who has some trouble hearing what people are saying in movies/TV. No need for reference level sound just clarity or be able to overemphersize the midrange.

Currently will be using front speakers and center and 1 sub. No plan to add surround speakers.

The ones I am currently looking at are Denon, Marantz and yamaha. Around the $800 mark.

I was considering a Marantz 5007(Refurbished), Yamaha RXA1000(Refurbished) and a Denon 3311 (2nd hand)

The Yamaha's seem to have some options to do with enhancements like dialogue lift. Not sure if this may be any good.

Any one have some ideas of which AVR's might be worth looking at or recommended?

Edited by rocky500

almost any AVR will let you independantly hike the level of the centre channel. Just run the centre channel too "hot" - say 2db higher than the other channels. Should easily do the trick. I would shoot for the Denon based on the ones you've looked at.

Thanks Juicester but I think now a little different after reading this thread.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/50087-anyone-ever-had-a-hearing-test/?hl=hearing

He mentions something that I would never have thought of and that is the midrange can be effected so much.

"For my age I have exceptionally accurate hearing at both extremes. However, my midrange acuity is no where near as good (down more than 10dB compared to treble and bass, although still in the normal range)."

I am starting to think this is exactly what I need to concentrate on to get it better for him. It may need something like 10dB+ increase in the Voice range, maybe a lot more for his age.

Edited by rocky500

perhaps it's a matter of combining higher level for the centre channel along with a manual EQ then. With the Manual EQ you could just boost the mid range freq's and leave the top and bottom ends flat... 

I suppose it may be a case of trial and error based on what he thinks sounds good - but almost any recent AVR should have the tools to help you achieve what you're after.

Hi Rocky, yes I think the Yamaha dialogue lift does just that.

I have a Yam v3900 and it has various 'sound fields' you can apply to multi channel sound or use to up mix 2 channel sound to multi channel. If you 'roll' through these options while music or TV is playing, you can hear how some improve dialogue clarity or loudness. 

Also your clients may already have TV tuner/PVR and DVD player with a range of sound fields to choose from. Try them too.

cheers

I agree with Juicester.

Any half decent AVR will let you raise and lower the volume for each individual channel, but also allow you to EQ each individual channel as well.

Considering that the centre channel doesn't reproduce much bass unless you have a superb one, between EQ and an increase in volume, you should be fine.

You may want to ditch the support for 4 ohm speakers though.

I've never tried 4 ohm speakers on an AVR that supports only 8 or 6 ohm, but I can't imagine it would be good for it.

Someone with more electrical experience will know more than me, but 4 ohm support puts your AVR in the more expensive bracket.

Thanks again guys. It is actually for my Dad.

He has a lot of my stuff as I have been trying a few things to get it better for him.

I have brought him Aurum Cantus 620 Floor stander speakers. Right now he has use of my Adelaide Speakers floorstanders with ribbons as well.

I brought a Dynaudio Exite x22 center (4 Ohm) that I have just put there for him. I also have a very large center in a Usher 603(4 ohm) as well that I could give him. Was also looking at a Wharfedale Diamond 9CM center. (6 Ohm) as it it lower in the ohms. $200

He has my SVS SB12 Sub as well.

So the speakers I was planning on using are mostly 4 ohms now. I don't think he needs to turn it up to reference level but I have heard it very loud as I think he finds it easier to hear the vocal parts.

All has been run for some time on a very cheap older Pioneer VSX-515 AVR.

Thinking a better AVR might just be what is needed.

Still a bit stuck on what to buy. Was looking at a UMC-200 and seperate amp. A bit of an overkill in this instance.

2 AVR's I looked into Denon & Marantz want 12 inches gap left on top!. I was planning to put on a shelf in a cabinet and this seems to be a little cramped for those ones.

A bit worried that yamaha may shut off when running 4 ohm speakers and being in a small space too.

Just came across a new AVR that looks to be just what might be needed. It supports 4 ohm speakers. Hopefully supports 240V. Love the small form factor.

http://www.sherbourn.com/collections/theater/products/sr8100

Edited by rocky500

have you considered running audyssey dynamic volume ? it does an astounding job for vocal clarity even at subtle day setting. also would be investing in best centre channel possible and making sure is setup at ear level.

Edited by :) al

I am starting to think this is exactly what I need to concentrate on to get it better for him. It may need something like 10dB+ increase in the Voice range, maybe a lot more for his age.

I'd advise this. I went though the same with my father, and initially boosted the centre ... which turned out to be pretty naive.    Programs are not always surround, and dialogue not always in the centre.

It took a long time to get it right....

have you considered running audyssey dynamic volume ? it does an astounding job for vocal clarity even at subtle day setting. also would be investing in best centre channel possible and making sure is setup at ear level.

I think I may need more than Audyssey DV as I think it is only the voice range that wants to be increased.

I have 3 center speakers to try out. Not sure which will be better. Usher 603, Dynaudio Exite x22 and a Wharfedale Diamond 9CM.

The Wharfedale center I plan to change the Caps inside to something a little better. It may not help but should be fun.

I'd advise this. I went though the same with my father, and initially boosted the centre ... which turned out to be pretty naive.    Programs are not always surround, and dialogue not always in the centre.

It took a long time to get it right....

Yes I think this is my best bet. The main trouble with auto systems or just increasing the center also increases other aspects like bass and treble. I think I will try out the Sherbourn with its equalizer.

Looks to be a good AVR and at least should be a good upgrade from the ageing pioneer and supports 4ohm speakers. Also I have a discount card I can use for the sherbourn.

Edited by rocky500

Hi Rocky, here are a few considerations I would suggest:

Has your father had his hearing tested by an Audiologist, or does he already wear hearing aids?

Hearing aids when properly adjusted are corrected specifically for the "speech zone" of hearing frequencies.  You can have hearing aids with a separate program for watching TV.

Modern hearing aids can even be connected by Bluetooth (wireless) to source devices, eg. phones, tv, or perhaps your AVR.

Does he utilize the captions feature on the TV or set top box?

The other issue is that better speakers that exhibit good midrange and accuracy will help a lot.

M.

Hi Milo

Some good suggestions there. I might see if I can talk him into getting some checks.

Still looking into the Sherborne. It seems to have the following that may help.

Eleven user-programmable fully parametric equalizers per channel provide exceptional manual control over room acoustics (with storage for three separate configurations)

Captions were the answer for my deaf father in his 80's