georgehifi

Multibit R2R vs Delta Sigma again

Here is a good read sent to me by Audionutz who is also a believer in multibit, on why the highly respected Lyn Olson likes the sound of Multibit R2R over the sound of the new crop of Delta Sigma, Hyper Stream dacs. And the reasons why it does.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue65/dac.htm

Cheers George

The first paragraph tells you most of what you need to know and the second just confirms it.

Delta-Sigma sound !!! LoL. You take a god from men to make them free and they make a new one from clay overnight to enslave themselves again. Phenomenal!

Hi Guys

I reckon its a bit old hat - things have moved on IMHO with DAC's like the NAD M51 and Chord QuteHD appearing - what are they? - neither as far as I can see.  The Chord bested my beloved PCM1704 based PDX which admittedly had some tubes that I thought weren't that good and it was a lot closer with the usual tubes - but the fact of the matter is its in the same league.  The NAD is very good but not quite as good as the Chord IMHO.

To me the writing is on the wall - DAC's are moving at a breathtaking pace and technologies will appear and disappear over the coming years that leave Multibit, ladder or whatever in the dust.  Finally we will end up with some kind of perfected digital technology way ahead of what we currently have.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

To me the writing is on the wall - DAC's are moving at a breathtaking pace and technologies will appear and disappear over the coming years that leave Multibit, ladder or whatever in the dust.

Thanks

Bill

No their not they have been bogged down with Delta Sigma and it's derivatives for almost the last 10 years now. They tried to get the best of Bitstream and Multibit together in one cheap chip, but you can still heard that boring Bitstream sound coming through, not as bad as pure Bitsteam was, but it has it's same signature (sweet, detailed) , but no rhythm and drive and dynamics to give the music life as Lyn Olson has tried to explain in the first post link.

Texas Instrument still manufacture and distribute the PCM1704 R2R Multibit chip, they costs $75each and you need two for stereo. Todays Delta Sigma can be bough at a 10th of that price, and they're stereo. Too many of the highest of high end cdp's or dac's manufacturers are still using Multibit, even obsolete ones, like the TDA1541 in the flagship ARM CD77 for conversion duties, are they mad not to use Delta Sigma or do they know something most don't?

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi

No their not they have been bogged down with Delta Sigma and it's derivatives for almost the last 10 years now. 

George can you detail to me how the DAC technology of the M51 is delta sigma?

Ditto with the Pulse DAC and WTF filter technology of the Chord.  Its not implemented on a chip but rather their own proprietary technology in a programmable gate array.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

There is so little difference between the various types it is not worth bothering with.If they are well implemented they will all sound acceptable.They might sound slightly different but not any better.

My old Sony 715 CD player which uses a Pulse DAC  sounds every bit as good in its own way as a range of modern DACs using both delta sigma and multi bit DACs I have tried.In my experience the cabling you use gives more difference in sound that the DACs themselves.