The disgusting embarrassment of a pressing plant called "GZ Vinyl"

Nothing to say here except the vinyl is from a digital master.

You don't believe this hoary old chestnut do you?...that digital masters can't sound better on vinyl (if handled right?)

Anyway, regardless, if you're enjoying it on ANY format that's all that matters.

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is not with the pressing plant or the vinyl.  The problem is that you all own probematic turntables, which reveal too much detail.  Get a Crossley, and you will love these pressings. 

They do wear gloves. Only the gloves seem to be made from sand and bacon fat.

A good reason to buy from Vinyl Eye with SNA discount?

I have 40 years old LPs which look and would sound better than that. They say they are very busy. I would say too busy for us. And too busy for any sort of quality. None of us should ever deal with them. F&$k'm.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads-up, as I was about to push the button on purchasing this very title.

cheers

Another GZ "victim"

Opened my brand new sealed Grace Jones NightClubbing last night to find the same "quality" as Jon's.

I imported mine from the UK, so a bit too hard to return.

I'll have a go at giving it a good clean and see how it plays....

That is so bad.That is so funny i just bought a copy of Mad Season's "above" for RSD.I could not belive it when i got it.It had big lumps of vinyl,all over it.I thought it was a defect.the seller was great and refunded my money and let me keep the LP although i will not use my expensive cart on it,so basically i have to buy another.It also had a seam split and corner crease-i bought it as new..The mailer was fine,so it was like this before put into the mailer.They also did NOT use reinforcing sheets which to me is instant refund if there is any damage.

It is obvious that these plants are pressing more than they can handle and are not using quality controls.SEND IT BACK! I would.LP's have become big business again and we need to weed this rubbish out.I also am finding some sellers dont care.They will also get weeded out in time.Vinyl buyers will not stand for being sold rubbish.I give sellers a chance,everyone makes mistakes,but one chance is all you get.

Edited by masliko
  • Like 1

I gave the Grace Jones "Nghtclubbng" album a good clean thru my "spin clean" RC, and thankfully it came out fine. Still had some of those "horn" marks..... but does not seem to affect the playing quality.

Vinyladdict, how much are you asking for the mentioned Grace Jones albums/EP ??

Edited by Leinster Lad

Since the majors abandoned vinyl manufacture, it's passed to independents who struggle to meet basic standards. GZ are a puzzle, they've invested heavily in SOTA mastering gear yet their pressings seem to be done by 'work for thr dole' rejects in an open cow paddock. Universal are cynically exploiting vinyl fans. Stick to old records or audiophile labels.

(Sorry, not the turntable, I meant 'State Of The Art').

Edited by masterpaul
  • Like 1

That is so bad.That is so funny i just bought a copy of Mad Season's "above" for RSD.I could not belive it when i got it.It had big lumps of vinyl,all over it.I thought it was a defect.the seller was great and refunded my money and let me keep the LP although i will not use my expensive cart on it,so basically i have to buy another.It also had a seam split and corner crease-i bought it as new..The mailer was fine,so it was like this before put into the mailer.They also did NOT use reinforcing sheets which to me is instant refund if there is any damage.

It is obvious that these plants are pressing more than they can handle and are not using quality controls.SEND IT BACK! I would.LP's have become big business again and we need to weed this rubbish out.I also am finding some sellers don't care.They will also get weeded out in time.Vinyl buyers will not stand for being sold rubbish.I give sellers a chance,everyone makes mistakes,but one chance is all you get.

That sounds terrible. I've been fairly lucky with new records but the reality is that few of them are really flat these days. Good thing I have a record clamp. We need to keep returning the records so the record shops can give feedback and hopefully the quality will improve. Just hope more pressing plants open up as we have little power to change things unless there are more places to press records.

DS

• 6 years later...

GZ, the vinyl industry’s most eminent mediocrity strikes again. 

This is Roxy Music Avalon’s 2017 half speed master. Grabbed it as my original is more than rough around the edges. 

As you can see, there is gunk and some fine lines (scratches?). Scrubbed it with my vacuum RCM which thankfully has done the trick.  

The white lines look identical to another GZ pressing I own -  The Who Live at Leeds. I hadn’t opened this album and was prompted when I saw someone on the Hoffman forums post a picture of theirs with GZ’s signature white gunk, and mine was identical.

It plays ok, but we shouldn’t have to roll the dice on new pressings... Rant endeth. 

8143C52E-14B8-4DD3-920E-8591BBD1FBA7.jpeg

8277E4DD-59C1-4C53-A98E-B09CCA147F0D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

The problem is not with the pressing plant or the vinyl.  The problem is that you all own probematic turntables, which reveal too much detail.  Get a Crossley, and you will love these pressings. 

[Please read lots of sacrasm in this post.  It was inspired by the response I got from a retailer in the 80's that told me my turntable was too good when I tried to return a defective record.]

There are two reasons I won't buy new records now (unless the new pressing is unique): First, I read too many stories (like the OP's) of poor quality control.  Second, pre-owned records can be found in good quality very cheap at my local op-shop (when we're not in lockdown).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
41 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Lol.

And let’s not forget about the current trend of collectors who never play their vinyl. I guess they’re GZ’s target market. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goatboy said:

Lol.

And let’s not forget about the current trend of collectors who never play their vinyl. I guess they’re GZ’s target market. 

Yes indeed.

People may or may not be surprised to know that there are a very large number of people who purchase vinyl albums, but who do not have a turntable and have no intent to do so. Members of my family have given me eyewitness accounts of such behaviour and those people said they knew many others who do the same.

This proves that truth is more strange than fiction.

• Like 3

GZ have actually lifted their game on the last 5 years.   Their premium pressings are very good and their coloured vinyl are at least i the main noise free.

They do have their I guess normal el cheapo pressings that are still somewhat covered with cardboard lint and other type of shiite - so you must clean them b4 play.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, metal beat said:

GZ have actually lifted their game on the last 5 years. 

I noticed GZ pressings from 2012-early 2017 were mainly noisy and dirty. Late 2017 - current are mainly quiet and usually quite clean and flat. I sometimes surprised at how good they sound especially these recent two years. 

Of course I don’t mean all but just the records I bought and many of them are GZ pressings. 

Edited by MoveD
  • Like 1

The quality of these pressings reminds me of some of the bootleg records I bought (music otherwise not available from the major companies, not pirate pressings duplicating existing releases).  At least with a bootleg pressing you knew that it was always on the cards to get poor pressings, but we were grateful to be getting the music (in whatever quality that was supplied).  But other bootleg pressings were pristine, proving that even those outside the "law" could provide good quality control. 

On 23/02/2013 at 5:07 PM, HUMBUG89 said:

Ahh.....The late 70's/ early 80's and I though they'd gone forever!...........

I bought great pressings back then. No problems at all.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rantan said:

Yes indeed.

People may or may not be surprised to know that there are a very large number of people who purchase vinyl albums, but who do not have a turntable and have no intent to do so. Members of my family have given me eyewitness accounts of such behaviour and those people said they knew many others who do the same.

This proves that truth is more strange than fiction.

Why are they buying then?  To resell at some future date when the price rises?  Or pretend they are cool by displaying them?

13 hours ago, Demondes said:

Why are they buying then?  To resell at some future date when the price rises?  Or pretend they are cool by displaying them?

I am unsure of their purpose but my nieces and nephews who are acquainted with these people, say that with many in their peer group there is a  cool factor,of which vinyl is apparently a part.

In defence of my own family, they actually own decent turntables and listen to a variety of  music.

Edited by rantan

@Wimbo Yes I have many as well, but if you were buying back then, you will remember many of the complaints on pressing quality even back then.  However considering the price and quality of many of the current pressings I would agree with many of the comments on this thread.

1 hour ago, HUMBUG89 said:

@Wimbo Yes I have many as well, but if you were buying back then, you will remember many of the complaints on pressing quality even back then.  However considering the price and quality of many of the current pressings I would agree with many of the comments on this thread.

Nah, can't remember complaints of pressing quality back then, just the skinny vinyl. Funny enough, I have three versions of COTC and the skinny is the best sounding.

Off the top of my head, random skinnies or pressings from that era that sound great, (just a couple) Jailbreak (Thin Lizzy),Welcome to Asbury Park (Springsteen), The Cars, Colours of Spring (Talk Talk). The list goes on.

That Thin Lizzy you mention is not a good example of  a quality recording from the 70’s,  great music terrible recording. Yes some of those thin vinyl records are now viewed as being very good in ‘some ‘ cases, back then they were frowned upon by many as was the recording quality.  

1 hour ago, HUMBUG89 said:

That Thin Lizzy you mention is not a good example of  a quality recording from the 70’s,  great music terrible recording. Yes some of those thin vinyl records are now viewed as being very good in ‘some ‘ cases, back then they were frowned upon by many as was the recording quality.  

Mines great mate. Not sure what you listened to.

22 hours ago, HUMBUG89 said:

Yer..........right.........whatever

It's funny though isn't it.

Two different versions of the same thing.

Just saying, I've got a lot of great vinyl from that era. Windham Hill,Steely Dans and Alan Parsons included. 

I'll throw a curve ball though. Got also a few Simple Mind albums and they are ****. Compressed and garbled. These are from the same era.

would agree about the Alan Parsons and Steely Dans , don’t know about the Simple Minds or Windham Hills ,  there is many great gems from the early 70’s to the end of the 70’s and even the late 60’s, most of which I have and brought, back then some very well recorded, others not so much so,  but great music all the same.

i remember a similar thread on another forum. it concerned a yt clip of the GZ factory.  I did a search and I think this is the vid below at the centre of discussion. if you watch carefully you might even spot who's hair and finger prints  ended up on your latest GZ purchase. 

I also see in the comments there's another Thin Lizzy fan