The disgusting embarrassment of a pressing plant called "GZ Vinyl"

I'm so angry right now. All I am going to do is post these pics for you all to gasp in despair at.

These are pictures are of BRAND NEW just opened records, and this is what they looked like AFTER I got all the gritty crap off them and some of the fingerprints.

Record one - Ben Howard "Every Kingdom"

Record two - Lana Del Rey "Born To Die"

I've sent an email to GZ asking them what the hell do they think they are playing at. Can't wait for the response (if any)...

post-134257-0-73491800-1361181811_thumb.

post-134257-0-63601400-1361181812_thumb.

post-134257-0-53199600-1361181813_thumb.

post-134257-0-50890300-1361181814_thumb.

post-134257-0-48685500-1361181815_thumb.

post-134257-0-55217300-1361181816_thumb.

post-134257-0-59821500-1361181817_thumb.

post-134257-0-57052300-1361181818_thumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem is not with the pressing plant or the vinyl.  The problem is that you all own probematic turntables, which reveal too much detail.  Get a Crossley, and you will love these pressings. 

They do wear gloves. Only the gloves seem to be made from sand and bacon fat.

A good reason to buy from Vinyl Eye with SNA discount?

I thought if they were not machine packed, they wore cotton gloves?

edit.........there's one that looks like someone has done the Twist on it!

Edited by LogicprObe
  • Like 1

That's disgusting. Where is GZ based? QC seems to be non-existent. Such a shame to pay good money for crap like this...

Hope you get some resolution on this although I'm not confident! :(

Cheers

M

• Like 1

Disgusting.. Not even as good as many second hand LP's. in fact if these were in a 2nd hand shop, I'd reject them !

This never used to happen in the halcyon days of vinyl - not to my knowledge anyway. I hope you get satisfaction from the suppliers.

All the best.

• Like 3
Sure it's not a scam? It's very hard to believe they are new!

Regards, David.

I found this link.

It's from a third party.

http://piratespress.com/cms/vinyl-records. .

GZ Digital Media. Established over 60 years ago, and based in the Czech Republic, GZ is one of the most reputable vinyl production

I have been a long time hater of GZ digital from the Czech republic.

Part that they use a lot of digital masters in their pressings, but mainly due to the fact they do not use standard vinyl. They use a softer vinyl formulation which if you use a lp flattener it will fry the vinyl and come up with blisters and be unplayable. It is the only pressing plant in the world I know of where this happens.  I have serious doubts about the long term longevity of their pressings with this seemingly cheaper formulation.

Generally their pressings are clean and flat thou.

BTW, the Lana Del Ray US pressings is just as diabolically bad.  I am onto my second and United music pressings in the usa are shite

Edited by turntable
Sure it's not a scam? It's very hard to believe they are new!

Regards, David.

Oh they are definitely new. The Lana Del Rey LP was the 2nd copy I had - I returned the first one as there was just too much noise on one of the records thanks to the additional crap in the grooves. I've never seen anything like this Ben Howard one before though. It was still in its shrinkwrap! I bought it from a reputable mail order store in the UK.

I'm just amazed at how badly the records have been manhandled. It LITERALLY looks like someone ate their lunch off it.

That's disgusting. Where is GZ based? QC seems to be non-existent. Such a shame to pay good money for crap like this...

Czech Republic I think. Apparently they are "cheap". I'd rather pay and extra ten dollars for a record I can "play".

• Like 1

I finally got a lame-assed response from GZ Vinyl yesterday:

Dear Jon,

My apologies for late reply but we are now very busy with workload comming before Record Store Day.

I am very sorry to hear that you do not like the quality of records you bought.

This issue which is visible on the picture is know as horns issue. Horns appear on records when supplied lacquer cut is not top quality. This issue is very well know in vinyl pressing industry and you can read more details about this in attached document which was created by third party, so this is independet opinion.

For both titles we were supplied lacquer cut in studios in UK and thesrefore we do not have so many options how to affect this unpleasant visiul effect. The only way would be to polish mothers before processing for stanpers but we do this only on special request from Universal Music, we do not polish uatomatically all mothers processed out of lacquers supllied.

This is issue is only visible issue, this does not affect the music negatively. We are not able to identify this issues in-house because when we press the records they look absolutelly perfect, these marks appear after futher handling (vibrations during transport, pulling out the records from inner sleeve, handling etc.) therefore there is no way for our quality control how to identify this issue.

This horn issue is in relation to lacquer only, so when we cut music by DMM there is no problem like this. We are in daily communiation with Universal Music to use studios where the cuts into lacquers come out perfectly and not to use studies where these issues appear often.

I would like to help you and change the records for you but these were ordered by UMGI at GZ and therefore you have to claim this and ask for change at the place where you bought these records.

I strongly believe you understood my explanation above and you will keep trust in GZ Vinyl production.

If you have futher questions pls let me know.

Kind regards,

Jaroslav Jungman

Customer service manager - Vinyl Department

So essentially he's trying to say that EVERY copy of Ben Howard's album must have looked like that? In which case someone in the factory didn't say "hey these records look like crap, we should do something about it". The attached PDF has absolutely NOTHING to do with records having fingerprints, scuffs, scratches and gritty crap all over them coming brand new out of the sleeve.

I'm not going to let this one go.

Horns.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
How do the LP's actually play?

Yes, I was about to ask the same question, because I've seen many LPs that look cosmetically crap, yet still play fine.

Cheers,

Keith

I feel your pain having recently purchased not one but three Black Sabbath box sets in the hope of finding a good one! Ended up giving up and am going to source first pressings instead. Drives you mad when your paying top dollar for this stuff only to be let down by crappy manufacturing processes.

• Like 2

I have had the same experience on a few occasions.

The Cure Disintegration remaster arrived all sealed but somehow with fingerprints and handmarks all over. Made in EU.

Police Synchronicity sounded like the stylus was being dragged across a carpark. This was bought locally so a replacement was easily had. Made in EU.

The Clash Combat Rock. Just crackly all the way through. This was bought at Muses as they were moving out so no hope of a replacement. This one states made in the UK.

It does get mighty frustrating as none of these are particularly cheap.

The Cure Disintegration remaster arrived all sealed but somehow with fingerprints and handmarks all over. Made in EU.

Police Synchronicity sounded like the stylus was being dragged across a carpark. This was bought locally so a replacement was easily had. Made in EU.

The Clash Combat Rock. Just crackly all the way through. This was bought at Muses as they were moving out so no hope of a replacement. This one states made in the UK.

So what do we do? The guy from CZ is clearly trying to blame the problem with the lacquer and not their crappy manufacturing. I'm sure if I were to find out who cut those discs and told them what GZ were saying they wouldn't be too impressed? I mean how many stampers come complete with fingerprints, scratches, scuffs on the plate? At what point do they add the gritty crap?

The guy is obviously in complete denial or an atrociously bad liar.

Can we get together a list of forums that we can raise this issue on? Maybe if enough people start complaining directly to them and telling them they were sent back they might clean up their act (and their factory)?

I would urge you guys that have had the same experience as me to email them today!

• Like 1

Interesting thread. Today i opened Badly Drawn Boy's latest lp Photographing Snowflakes and saw the same fingerprints and scuffs all across the record just as your photos. I've got some other lps the same and I now know the correct term-Horns. The pressing isn't a GZ by the way. The record plays fine fortunately but looks crap as do the other few i have that are the same. I reckon with the resurgence of vinyl there's a lot of unskilled labour about making a dog's breakfast of making records, saying that though, in fairness to those making records, virtually every single article on vinyl (even that superb BBC video linked to the other day) has at some point a cretinous moron saying how they love the crackly sound of vinyl and how comforting it is, which of course is a load of old bollocks but you can hardly blame your average laquer producer or record presser if their target audience is some retard who wants to hear noise. Those warps are lovely too the way the tonearm rides them like a surfer riding the swell on a stormy day  :confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Jon for the heads up on the lack of quality on the GZ pressings.

I realise that English is most likely not the primary language of the author of the reply you received, but you'd think he would have at least passed it by a spell checker before pressing the send button. :(   IMHO, the final quality control check of the product is the responsibility of the pressing plant.  Blaming the supplier of the master is just buck passing. 

Cheers,

Alan R.

....... and some wonder why I'm reluctant to blow big dollars on vinyl that is potentially dodgy.  When you factor in the cost of return shipping defective LPs, it makes the format a lot less attractive. :(

Cheers,

Alan R. 

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

Purchased the recently released Grace Jones Nightclubbing Re-release yesterday blissfully unaware of the GZ curse contained within. The horror of unleashing this demon into my hands had me quickly placing the abomination back into its nasty paper sleeve to which was returned promptly today back to JB. After opening up another 3 disks I gave up and walked away thankfully with a refund in hand ( all had the same atrocious scuff marks and finger prints all over each disk) but couldn't help but feel disappointed at yet another opportunity lost as I love the album and way looking forward to a fresh copy being available.

Next time I'll be more vigilant as anything released by Universal = GZ Vinyl = disappointment!

How could you check if it was a GZ pressing before you bought the album ie sealed or off the net. I assume the lana del album is produced by other factories ??

How could you check if it was a GZ pressing before you bought the album ie sealed or off the net. I assume the lana del album is produced by other factories ??

Lana Del Ray is GZ vinyl in Europe and crappy United in the USA.  Polydor is owned by Universal, who use the crappy GZ digital.

Both pressings of Born to Die and they are ordinary - bought the Euro as it had 3 extra tracks and lived in hope it may sound better.  

I think the United US pressing sounds better, but its friggin a bit noisier.

btw, I can still enjoy the records, so don't let me put you completely off,  just be aware of what you are getting and you might even be surprised if your expectations are lowered enough. :confused:

If I could hire a terrorist, I would gladly lead them to GZ digital in Czech republic and United records in Nashville and blow them both to the gound.  - 

too harsh??     Nup!   Well maybe a little  ;)

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

Purchased the recently released Grace Jones Nightclubbing Re-release yesterday blissfully unaware of the GZ curse contained within. The horror of unleashing this demon into my hands had me quickly placing the abomination back into its nasty paper sleeve to which was returned promptly today back to JB. After opening up another 3 disks I gave up and walked away thankfully with a refund in hand ( all had the same atrocious scuff marks and finger prints all over each disk) but couldn't help but feel disappointed at yet another opportunity lost as I love the album and way looking forward to a fresh copy being available.

Next time I'll be more vigilant as anything released by Universal = GZ Vinyl = disappointment!

Try to pick up a used Aussie Festival pressing - they are great

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up, as I was about to push the button on purchasing this very title.

cheers

BTW, I have started a poll on Steve Hoffman on the Worlds Worst pressing plant.  GZ Digital or United Records.

Feel free to vote  :D

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 2

No problem, just really disappointed as it could have turned out much better......looks like an original Festival pressing is the one to get (but unfortunately without the bonus 12" tracks this came with....grrrrr)

• Like 1

Lana Del Ray is GZ vinyl in Europe and crappy United in the USA.  Polydor is owned by Universal, who use the crappy GZ digital.

Both pressings of Born to Die and they are ordinary - bought the Euro as it had 3 extra tracks and lived in hope it may sound better.  

I think the United US pressing sounds better, but its friggin a bit noisier.

btw, I can still enjoy the records, so don't let me put you completely off,  just be aware of what you are getting and you might even be surprised if your expectations are lowered enough. :confused:

If I could hire a terrorist, I would gladly lead them to GZ digital in Czech republic and United records in Nashville and blow them both to the gound.  - 

too harsh??     Nup!   Well maybe a little  ;)

I would have thought surface noise would be

a blessing on a LDR record.... ;)

• Like 1

...looks like an original Festival pressing is the one to get (but unfortunately without the bonus 12" tracks this came with....grrrrr)

Hmm, don't think so. Probably the new CD is the one to get - that way you get everything.

The mastering is considered far superior on this new release than the originals (any), so I'd be chasing a confirmed good copy of the new mastering on the s/hand market perhaps?

Hmm, don't think so. Probably the new CD is the one to get - that way you get everything.

The mastering is considered far superior on this new release than the originals (any), so I'd be chasing a confirmed good copy of the new mastering on the s/hand market perhaps?

Done! Got the 24/96 digital download and although it sounds pretty good I would still much prefer the vinyl version.

Says who?

The original Festival pressing sounds great - you don't like it?

Edited by metal beat

Says who?

The original Festival pressing sounds great - you don't like it?

These guys say --> http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/grace-jones-nightclubbing-deluxe-edition-april-2014.344536/page-3

I haven't heard the Aus original, but the people who've been doing comparisons between originals seem to prefer the new remaster.

I guess it's possible the Festival original is superior to other country pressings - it's rare, but it does happen.

These guys say --> http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/grace-jones-nightclubbing-deluxe-edition-april-2014.344536/page-3

I haven't heard the Aus original, but the people who've been doing comparisons between originals seem to prefer the new remaster.

I guess it's possible the Festival original is superior to other country pressings - it's rare, but it does happen.

Nothing to say here except the vinyl is from a digital master.

There are no direct comparisons with any vinyl pressings here.  Only to CD's.  Hardly difficult to sound better on that point. Most are raving about the many 12 inch versions, not the album.

I'll happily stick to my Festival pressing  :P

Cheers

• Like 1

I gave up caring what they say over at SHTV a a long time ago. Those guys crap on a lot, and at various times each and every pressing will be the world's greatest. Until the next one comes out.

• Like 2