HiFi stores in Hong Kong

Hi Whatmore,

Here are some that I know of in Central.  Duddell Street building is full of hi-end gears.

The Sound Chamber www.thesoundchamber.com.hk 4th Floor, One Duddell Street, Central, Hong Kong

ForthWise LTD www.forthwise.com 6/F, 1 Duddell Street,Central,Hong Kong

Sonus Faber sonusfaber.com Room 901, 1 Duddell Street, Central, Hong Kong

ASCL ascl.hk Rm 506 - 508, 5/F, St. George's Building, 2 Ice House Street, Central, Hong Kong

Avantgarde www.avantgardehongkong.com 2 & 4/F, Pottinger House, 24-26 Pottinger Street, Central, Hong Kong

Audio Extreme www.audioextreme.hk Room 302 & 402,Kam Ming House,49-51 Queen's Road, Central Hong Kong

AV consultant http://avconsultant.com.hk/ The Penthose, 24/F., 1 Duddell Street, Central, Hong Kong Tel: (852) 2581-2928

WiWi Tubes wiwitubes.com has a great extensive range of valves.  Must visit for all valves lovers.

3/F, Hang Lung House,
184-192 Queen's Rd. C.,
Central

Cheers,

Michael.

I'll be in HK and Singapore next week. I'm already familiar with the Adelphi in singapore but I'm wondering if there is an equivalent in Hong Kong ( near Central ideally)
Edited by MichaelWC
  • Like 1

Agree with the above suggestions and would add that if you're into vintage gear like Sansui, Yamaha, Sony and so on, then it might be worth a visit to Apliu Street in Sham Shui Po (a couple of MTR stations past Mongkok. This street is lined door to door with 2nd hand electronics and hi-fi shops and there can be some nice bargains found.

The whole building at 1 Duddell St (7 or 8 floors from memory) is almost entirely dedicated to Hi-Fi, mostly of the top-end stuff. From memory there are some other very interesting shops on Stanley St Central - I seem to recall that the Sound Chamber is around there and it's chock-full of the cream of high-end audio.

Enjoy!

EK

firefly, the best headphone shop in Hong Kong is Kingsound Headphones @ Room 1202, Golden Era Plaza, 39 Sai Yee St, Mongkok it is in Kowloon and a little tricky to find.

It is similar to Jaben in Singapore in terms of positioning, however they hold a lot of stock and the beauty of this shop is that can really test and compare various headphones even with your own source (if it is portable..) and the prices are some of the best in Hong Kong. They also have a good selection of headphone amps.

I have bought about a dozen headphones and IEMs from Kingsound when I lived in HK and there is no issue with fakes or ripoffs here.

The surrounding areas are a computer and HI-FI haven - there is also some good interesting food that I miss all too much so enjoy!

Just returned from Singapore today and I had to visit the Adelphi while I was there.

Definately worth a visit if you are there. Not sure that I saw too many headphones though, not that I was looking for that.

Already missing the food, gotta love those hawker markets!

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

You can always buy one of the local Hifi magazines when you get to Hong Kong airport and check out the advertisements for local stores...

Edited by 322

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Last july 12,2014 I went to Hong Kong to leisurely window shop at audio stores. This thread helped me so let me pay it forward by updating this thread.

1. Yau Shing Commercial Centre (Mongkok MTR D3 exit)

51, Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mong Kok

Its along sae yung choi, from the Mongkok MTR station take exit D3 you then proceed south. About 100 mets from the MTR exit you will see it. Its at the corner of Sae Yung Choi and the alley named Nelson St. The marker for the building entrance is a doorless hallway between a Cafe de Corral signage and a Body Shop store.

Go inside the building and ride the elevators on the ground floor. I suggest you proceed to the 16th floor and take the stairs down to browse per store per floor. You then work yourself down till 3rd or 4th floor. There is 1 stereo store per floor 95% of which are audio stores. The tip is start to the 16th floor.

The brands represented in the building among others are JBL, Harbeth, Proac, Sonus Faber, B&W, Mcintosh, pioneer, marantz, definitive, cambridge, lexicon, etc.. Generally stores are open between 11 to 8pm but some varies from store to store.

2. Grancastle stereo Building

Mongkok exit D3 MTR.

This is a building with a very narrow entryway which you might miss. A good reference point is that the building's entrance is beside a Watson store, the only one on sae yung choi south. The building is almost at the corner of sae yung choi and Dundas street. Building's entrance is on Sae on sa yung choi.

Take the elevator to the 19th or 20th floor. From the topmost store take the stairs going down as there is one audio store per floor. I saw the brands Wilson, Vienna Acoustics, Cayin, Burmeister being sold in the stores among others. There are 2-3 stores selling pre-owned equipment ranging from JBL, SONUS, Focals.

3. wanchai computer stores

Take the MTR to Wanchai. At the Wanchai MTR station there is an exit that leads you directly to the computer store building entrance. Wanchai computer building mainly has computer stores. Work your way up to the 2nd level of the computer area which is chockfull of headphone esoterica and equipment. They sell headphones, DACs, headphone amplifiers and players from the cheapest to the very expensive ones. There were 2 stores selling the astrell and kern US$3,000 portable FLAC DSD player.

Most of the stores in these 3 areas have prices indicated. You can haggle with the shopkeeper. Cash and major credit cards are accepted. Some even accept US dollars and use a reasonable US to HK$ exchange rate.

This guide s true as of July 14, 2014

Edited by Alfa
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Stump said:

Reviving the thread as off to Hongkong HIfi Show soon.Just noticed this HIFI Shop I intend sitting...

Stereo Stores in these buildings are still valid as of Nov 2016, it's worth spending half a day in these 2 buildings. If you have to choose go to Yau Shing as there are more mainstream choices.

Best to visit after 2pm as some stores open really late ;

1. Yau Shing Commercial Centre (Mongkok MTR D3 exit)

51, Sai Yeung Choi Street South, Mong Kok

Its along sae yung choi, from the Mongkok MTR station take exit D3 you then proceed south. About 100 mets from the MTR exit you will see it. Its at the corner of Sae Yung Choi and the alley named Nelson St. The marker for the building entrance is a doorless hallway between a Cafe de Corral signage and a Body Shop store.

Go inside the building and ride the elevators on the ground floor. I suggest you proceed to the 16th floor and take the stairs down to browse per store per floor. You then work yourself down till 3rd or 4th floor. There is 1 stereo store per floor 95% of which are audio stores. The tip is start to the 16th floor. 

The brands represented in the building among others are JBL, Harbeth, Proac, Sonus Faber, B&W, Mcintosh, pioneer, marantz, definitive, cambridge, lexicon, etc.. Generally stores are open between 11 to 8pm but some varies from store to store. 

2. Grancastle stereo Building 

Mongkok exit D3 MTR.

This is a building with a very narrow entryway which you might miss. A good reference point is that the building's entrance is beside a Watson store, the only one on sae yung choi south. The building is almost at the corner of sae yung choi and Dundas street. Building's entrance is on Sae on sa yung choi.

Take the elevator to the 19th or 20th floor. From the topmost store take the stairs going down as there is one audio store per floor. I saw the brands Wilson, Vienna Acoustics, Cayin, Burmeister being sold in the stores among others. There are 2-3 stores selling pre-owned equipment ranging from JBL, SONUS, Focals.

Edited by Alfa
  • Like 1