Sign in to follow this  
LHH

SOLD: Wyred 4 Sound Monoblock Amplifiers

Item:
Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 Monoblocks (Pair) AND Wyred 4 Sound SX-500 Monoblocks (Pair) - both sets in black.

Price:
SX-1000 Pair $2125.00, SX-500 Pair $1630.00 - plus postage and paypal, $20 donation to Stereonet per pair.

Item Condition:
Immaculate (see photos)

Reason for selling:
I'm playing - I'm very happy with my system but want to try something new.

Payment Method:
Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank transfer.

Extra Info:

I am selling two sets of Wyred 4 Sound monoblock amplifiers, one set of SX-1000s, and one set of SX-500s. They sound essentially identical, but the SX-1000s are higher powered (570w into 8Ohms vs 250w into 8Ohms), so they will drive a more difficult speaker with greater headroom. Both are outstanding amplifiers, and while other amplifiers beat them in specific areas I haven't heard better
all-rounders
for less than $10k retail. The SX-1000 retail for $3k a pair in Australia, while the SX-500 retail for $2350 a pair in Australia. The SX-1000s have won The Absolute Sound's Editors Choice Award for four years running now, and the SX-500s are just as good. The amplifiers are in excellent condition and I have all the original packaging etc. I've included photos or one set of amplifiers, and not the others, but they look identical. There are a huge number of glowing reviews on the net - I'll let you find those on your own - but here is my own review (which is, I think, a little more realistic than some of the over-the-top reviews that can be found):

Well, it hasn't been 300 hours yet (the suggested run in time for the amplifiers), but I think I can put some words down now.

I'll get straight to the point: the Wyred 4 Sound Sx-1000 monoblocks are something special. They are effortlessly powerful, effortlessly controlled, and effortlessly detailed - 570 watts into 8 Ohms allows means that the amplifiers just NEVER sound strained. Yet despite the high power the SX-1000s are not hulking brutes. Unlike some high power (and high end) class A/AB amplifiers I've listened to, these class D amplifiers give an even-handed performance with no one aspect of the musical spectrum receiving undue attention or emphasis. Bass is powerful but not the overdone or mechanical; mids are astonishingly detailed but have a smoothness that prevents listener fatigue; and highs are full bodied, without unnatural hi-fi shimmer.

Some reviewers have suggested that these amplifiers have a presentation towards the cold end of the musical spectrum. They don't. If anything, these amplifiers are a little warmer than neutral. Some reviewers have suggested that these amplifiers have world leading dynamics. They don't. They are dynamic enough to provide plenty of drama but they slightly soften leading edges, making them, ultimately, comfortable listening at any volume with any recording. If they excel with any type of music, it is with strings, particularly the lower registers of the cello and piano. Voices also sound amazing, and impressive detail through the upper mids provides an almost holographic sense of recording space.

Speaking of space, the sound-stage is both wide and high, though not as deep as some amplifiers I've listened to. Instruments are precisely placed and have good stability, however a slight softening of the highs means that plucked strings sound more diffuse than they might. Many reviews have reported (with almost plagiaristic similarity) that the SX-1000s have an unbelievably low noise floor - comments about blacker than black backgrounds abound. I'm not sure what the technical details are here (and don't really care), but again, my experience goes against the received wisdom. The background is dark enough, very good for it's price class, but it is closer to charcoal than obsidian. What the SX-1000s are good at, is being very good at ALL things, not at being exceptional at SOME things. These amplifiers product mid to high-end sound, for a low to mid-end price.

I haven't said anything about the physical aspects of the amplifiers yet (this is of secondary importance to me), but quickly: the SX-1000s are better looking (in black) than I was expecting, and very well made. By this I mean they are perfectly pleasant looking - rather than outright ugly - but if you want audio jewellery you should look elsewhere.

All in all, these are great amplifiers for a great price, and they'll be staying in my system for a long time to come - or at least until I want to try something new.

8448092903_de93d8df1a_z.jpg

SX-1000 by 0lhh0, on Flickr

8447996739_2b8e717ed8_c.jpg

W4S Amps Front by 0lhh0, on Flickr

8447996709_eb803b2134_c.jpg

W4S Amps Back by 0lhh0, on Flickr

After searching around, I have found that I no longer have the original power cables that came with the amps (not that they were anything special). As such, I'm happy to include either a pair of aftermarket Wyred 4 Sound P1 Ultra power cables with each set of amps (RRP $140 ea) or pick up some new standard power cables to put in the box (if you need them). Obviously the W4S cables are a sonic improvement (to my ears) on your standard cables, but they are terminated with US plugs, so the purchaser will need a power board/console that accepts US plugs, or will be required to change the plugs or use adaptors.

Wish I saw this listing earlier. I just bought a pair of sx1000 monos new.

Ahhhh, what a pain. Well, still, you've got some great amps so I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :)

LHH.

I would like to congratulate you on one of the best written and presented ads I have seen on this board.

I really like the fact that you obviously love the amplifiers but are also not too starry eyed about them You give excellent impressions of the actual listening characteristics of these amps based on your experience with them,which stimulated my interest and I really like that.

Even your reason for selling statement is both honest, witty and absolutely able to be identified with by everyone here.

Congrats all round and all the very best with the sale. I will give them some consideration myself,although I don't have a pre amp.

Cheers

P.

If I am not mistaken, the SX-1000's are 570w into 8 ohms and 1140w into 4 ohms. Wow!

If I am not mistaken, the SX-1000's are 570w into 8 ohms and 1140w into 4 ohms. Wow!

Hard to beat class D for pure power!

GLWTS

I second the Phantom!  An absolute model of how to construct and write an ad for SNA.

LHH.

I would like to congratulate you on one of the best written and presented ads I have seen on this board.

I really like the fact that you obviously love the amplifiers but are also not too starry eyed about them You give excellent impressions of the actual listening characteristics of these amps based on your experience with them,which stimulated my interest and I really like that.

Even your reason for selling statement is both honest, witty and absolutely able to be identified with by everyone here.

Congrats all round and all the very best with the sale. I will give them some consideration myself,although I don't have a pre amp.

Cheers

P.

I second the Phantom!  An absolute model of how to construct and write an ad for SNA.

Thank you both. :)

If the power cables are not required consider the price $100 less.

Just in case someone finds this thread rather than the new one, the SX-1000s have now been sold. The SX-500s are still available. Thanks.

NOW SOLD