Back into Vinyl in a big way

Hello Mondie,

Welcome to the growing flat earth society.

The place where you have to do that little bit more to earn your music.

Storage of LP's vertical with no moisture, maintaining LP's and stylus etc.

Tuning options a plenty, tracking weight,VTA, antiskating,catridge options etc

Now you don't have to look at miniature cover art, and you can actually read the lyrics if it pleases you.

Best with the new venture.

Cheers Tony C

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of high end analogue Mondie.

I know from extensive first hand experience just how silly good the Acoustic Signature, Jelco and ZYX combination is and have said as much on many occassions here on StereoNet and elsewhere (paging Dr Keith).

I am very much looking forward to your comments/photos when the new addition arrives.

Best Regards,

Aaron

Now you don't have to look at miniature cover art, and you can actually read the lyrics if it pleases you.

Cheers Tony C[/b]

Spot on Tony, a couple of things I really enjoy about spinning vinyl! :wink:

Cheers,

Keith

Good luck on the repair Jeff, that did not get the relationship off to a very good start. Bet you are hanging out.

l heard that too Chris, l asked for the 45 version when l was in Quality records but they had no knowledge of it. Perhaps you had to buy the self relase pack initially done by Radiohead to get this version?

Cheers Mondie[/b]

Yeah the fantastic version I was referring to is the discbox 45rpm version. Unsure if the normal store release is 45 or 33, I wouldn't be surprised if its 45 as well. You can still buy the discbox off ebay for $100USD, which includes the 45rpm vinyl, CD, bonus CD, lyrics booklet and artwork booklet. Worth every penny.

Yeah the fantastic version I was referring to is the discbox 45rpm version. Unsure if the normal store release is 45 or 33, I wouldn't be surprised if its 45 as well. You can still buy the discbox off ebay for $100USD, which includes the 45rpm vinyl, CD, bonus CD, lyrics booklet and artwork booklet. Worth every penny.[/b]

Thanks mate, I will get off my arse and seek the discbox out. :biggrin:

Chris

Well done mate and welcome to the world of vinyl. That is one serious rig, would love to have something like that.

You'll never look back, anyway CDs days are numbered, unlike records!

DS[/b]

David,

You are welcome to drop in sometime when you are next [passing through Gippsland. Its ironic isn't it that the record will see out the demise of the CD, who would have thought that it in 1982.

Cheers Tony C[/b]

That is very true, l enjoy the covers and CD was always a let down. Chalk another advantage to LP :biggrin:

Very nice Mondie, Congratulations. I still don't get this Dark-Side attraction! Vinyl=soft, Needle=hard. It's a cutting impliment, a lathe, No?

Yes I have one but I only play old scratchy stuff on it.[/b]

True Grumpy but not sure if its an issue on a good player. The tracking force is in the order of only a couple of grams. This was one of the claims of CD - "Perfect sound forever" Now it does not seem so perfect, and do they need to last forever? Its inevitable that you play an LP a lot for the first year of ownership and then it drops away, do you ever actually wear one out?

Love to hear it someday.

Cheers

M[/b]

Of course mate, anytime. You are partially responsible for this slide back to the darkside, you do realise that :wink:

Cheers Mondie

Yeah the fantastic version I was referring to is the discbox 45rpm version. Unsure if the normal store release is 45 or 33, I wouldn't be surprised if its 45 as well. You can still buy the discbox off ebay for $100USD, which includes the 45rpm vinyl, CD, bonus CD, lyrics booklet and artwork booklet. Worth every penny.[/b]

Thanks for the info Mikizee, once l have had a listen to Rainbows l will decide whether to go the "whole hog"

Cheers Mondie

Gonna take me ages to make this bloody Tablezilla for Mondie's TT!

30kgs of steel!

Welding it together from the inside (tricky eh! Or just plain stupid, I'm not sure yet) No welds will be visible to the untrained eye.

SS leveling spikes.

It's gonna look kinda industrial, but the rock maple bits should soften things a tad.

Get the gaps right, keep it square, why do I come up with these stupid bloody ideas?

It's fun though...... I think!

Hopefully it will turn out as we imagined.

Los

I have held off in buying this as I have heard that the 45rpm version is superior to the 33rpm version.I read this over on the vinyl forum at the audio asylum.

Chris[/b]

The difference is definitely overstated. I have both formats and the 33RPM is such a good pressing that my ears cannot differentiate which version I'm listening to. I got my girlfriend to put them on one after the other - I couldn't tell :)

Over at one of the Radiohead forums, there's been reports of the discbox version having wow/flutter issues as the pressing is not perfectly centered on some copies. No reports of this with the 33 version as of yet.

The difference is definitely overstated. I have both formats and the 33RPM is such a good pressing that my ears cannot differentiate which version I'm listening to. I got my girlfriend to put them on one after the other - I couldn't tell :)

Over at one of the Radiohead forums, there's been reports of the discbox version having wow/flutter issues as the pressing is not perfectly centered on some copies. No reports of this with the 33 version as of yet.[/b]

could you give me a link? I'm interested to find out more.

sorry I can't give you a direct link, it was in the main forum of atease. I read it about a month ago, there's a million threads in that place so good luck! it was one of the regulars who had issues with side one, the wow/flutter being pretty bad around the end of side 1. w.a.s.t.e have said that they will replace it though..... don't know if they got their replacement

Ok, so now I might have to make 2 TT Tablezilla's!

Out of curiosity I just borrowed Mondie's EAR834p and dragged out my old Luxman PD-290 TT, blew the dust off and found some magic! Even my 12yo commented on the sound quality.

I never let go of the dark side, it was just inconvenient for a while. I'm back on track now though.

We humans can be so stuipid at times, led up the garden path by marketers & their crappy CD's. I am so glad the true believers never let go....

Los

Will put a few up tomorrow Grumps.

So it was that good Los? Good stuff, will have to drop around for a listen

Cheers[/b]

Yeah Mate, a similar improvement to when I put the TVC in the system. The phono really must have been crap in the old Perreaux SM2, and so was the phono in the SP9 you lent me once, although it wasn't quite as crap as the Perreaux.

Funny that, I always thought it was the old Lux TT that was junk, and therefore never bothered with it too much. Just goes to show you should never close your mind to anything.

By the way, I finally managed to find that EMI pressing of Back in Black. It cost me $4. Can't wait to hear it on the new Mondie TT!

Cheers

It would be good if I didn't have to. Will it make THAT much difference?

Cheers[/b]

It will make SOME difference Paul, but not huge in the scheme of things..............

BTW, the other things we discussed...............not available ex stock..........minimum order quantity is 10 units, lead time 12 weeks.

You may have to look to the US I'm afraid.