Cambridge Audio 651r

HI folks,

I know they have only just shipped, but has anyone had much of a play with the new Cambridge 651r (or 751r for that matter) yet?

I'm pretty keen to have a look at one before I finally make the plunge and buy my upgrade. Still tossing up between this or the Yam RXa2020.

Cheers,

Scotty

I saw one at the new hi fi shop on Greenhill Road - Atmosphere Audio. I did not listen to it, but discussed it. 

My understanding is that the music quality is better on the Cambridge and that the Yamaha has more functionality.

the 651r also now has competition in the 751r,

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/48757-cambridge-audio-azur-751-avr/

cambridge sure know how to make a power house ! the 651r I am sure is pretty damn good to in the power stakes !

another option is the arcam avr360 at $2k a bit cheaper but would also be a quality piece :)

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/1634

Hi Scotty,

I sell both of the amps you are looking at. They are totally different beasts. The Cambridge is far and away the better sounding unit in all aspects of sound. There is no comparison. But the Yamaha has all the toys. App control, streaming, net radio etc. both do a very good job at handling HDMI and offering good pictures.

It comes down to want you want from the amp.

The difference between the 651 & 751 is power and superior Dac's that come into play via USB.

Regards

Geoff

Edited by Toma Audio

I am keen to have a look at these as well, looking to pop into a store with my own speakers and compare a 751r vs an 851a, to see if there is any noticeable difference. I was looking to go down the Integrated Amp path with HT by pass to also power my front speakers in HT, but now thinking an all in one with decent 2 channel sound is a good option

But how does it compare to a CA Azur 851a when running 2 channel.

We have the 751R in stock and set up for auditioning. You really need to hear this beast to understand it's capability. As said above doesn't have all the toys but sounds incredible.

But how does it compare to a CA Azur 851a when running 2 channel.

There is a difference. The 851A will out perform for stereo use. Whilst the 751R has great class a/b amplification it is still an A/V receiver. What is the main use of your system? Another suggestion is a 551R passing through to the 851A. This works really well. Gives you the best of both worlds.

What speakers and player do you have?

Thank you, kinda what I was hoping to hear. I am looking to pick up the ound on my 2 channel. I currently use a Denon AVR ( great for HT, lacking for 2 ch) various DVD players of the cheaper variety, and. Set of Mordaunt Short 908's. i am looking at the 851a for 2 ch, also using HT bypass. The 851 is one of few Integrates that fit my requirements techically, ( tone controls, HT bypass and good power at a goid price). I am told that i will get more gain from a 2 ch amp, so will look to buy that first, then look to add a CDP or universal. I am hoping to take my peakers into a store tomorrow to audition the 851.

I am just tempted by the all in one 751 is all.

There is a difference. The 851A will out perform for stereo use. Whilst the 751R has great class a/b amplification it is still an A/V receiver. What is the main use of your system? Another suggestion is a 551R passing through to the 851A. This works really well. Gives you the best of both worlds.

What speakers and player do you have?

Thank you, kinda what I was hoping to hear. I am looking to pick up the ound on my 2 channel. I currently use a Denon AVR ( great for HT, lacking for 2 ch) various DVD players of the cheaper variety, and. Set of Mordaunt Short 908's. i am looking at the 851a for 2 ch, also using HT bypass. The 851 is one of few Integrates that fit my requirements techically, ( tone controls, HT bypass and good power at a goid price). I am told that i will get more gain from a 2 ch amp, so will look to buy that first, then look to add a CDP or universal. I am hoping to take my peakers into a store tomorrow to audition the 851. I am just tempted by the all in one 751 is all.

You'll be quite surprised what the 851A will do for your speakers. From a sound point of view the 751R will out perform the Denon anyway. But seeing as you are wanting to improve 2ch the 851A is the way to go. 

Auditioned the 851A this morning with my speakers and my music.  Sounded nice, more smooth than sharp but nice, with a nice bass response.  I like!!!

Although i was a little surprised that I was running the volume on 80% or -20DB to get it really cranking.  I have read this in some reviews, but still was surprised.  I understand that the volume control is on some type of hockey stick curve where the last 30% really represents about 70% of the power.  It was also at this stage, where the amp started to clip the sound (what ever that means.)  The audition room was larger than my room at home, and carpeted, so I doubt I would listen to music at home at this level. 

I was also going to audition the Marantz PM7004, however if the CA 851 is a true 120W/Ch, then the Marantz 70w/ch would probably not suffice.  I am not sure here.

You'll be quite surprised what the 851A will do for your speakers. From a sound point of view the 751R will out perform the Denon anyway. But seeing as you are wanting to improve 2ch the 851A is the way to go.