I always seem to have trouble with removing the seasoning on my wok.  Maybe that means I just haven't seasoned it well enough?  Using bamboo (or something) scrubbing brush and hot water only.

Need to use it more too, seems so easy to chop up a few things and then cook for a few minutes and eat.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One prawn? Stingy bastard!

These are the best wok money can buy, it's not high tech but the procedure you have shown is the best for that wok. I have been married for 24yrs and we have gone through a 2nd one of these, countles

Ummmm-- I'm a white guy--will mine work?   W

Being born in the 'teflon' generation I had been wondering why chinese cooking taste so good at the restaurant, but I could not replicate it at home.

Brand new Wok from Springvale $2 shop. This 12" cost me $15.

DSC_3831.jpg

Like a good cable or capacitor, the Wok needs to be burn in. Luckily it does not take 200 hours but a mere 1 hr. :)

DSC_3839.jpg

All the way throughout the Wok, then coat a thin film of vegetable oil. I use sunflower oil here.

DSC_3848.jpg

Do it three times or more until the carbon-steel wok is, well .. carbonated. Non sticky surface !

The awesome heat retention of the Wok created these effect when cooking !

DSC_3872.jpg

DSC_3874.jpg

Never.. ever wash the carbonated wok with soap. Just pour water when hot and scrub with this asian tool.

Too easy !!

DSC_3876.jpg

My wok after 3 test runs: Nasi goreng, stir fry vegetables, and prawns:

They get better as they age/used. Unlike teflon.

DSC_3878.jpg

Next... to buy a proper burner. While my stove will do 18Mj and commercial wok burners are about 55Mj, this beast will output 130Mj !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130Mj-Safety-Ex-High-Pressure-Gas-Wok-Burner-Stove-Hose?item=250697802808&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5136802160568283763

Burner.jpg

My future birthday present :)

Hi Gainphile,

Did you get your birthday pressie?

I always seem to have trouble with removing the seasoning on my wok.  Maybe that means I just haven't seasoned it well enough?  Using bamboo (or something) scrubbing brush and hot water only.

Need to use it more too, seems so easy to chop up a few things and then cook for a few minutes and eat.

The other thing that really helps with maintaining the seasoning is using it as a deep fryer from time to time.

Hi Gainphile,

Did you get your birthday pressie?

Not yet :). But we did replace our old 70's cooktop with shiny new Smeg with Wok burner.

It is NOT HARDLY ENOUGH !!!  :).... 15Mj from memory.

Not yet :). But we did replace our old 70's cooktop with shiny new Smeg with Wok burner.

It is NOT HARDLY ENOUGH !!!  :).... 15Mj from memory.

We had Smeg and ditto the heat factor. Was an easy stove to keep clean and in my books that goes a long way.

Off course here but I sent a link of your blog to a friend and he was very glad I did. Another open baffled lover and I hate to say it, his speakers are bordering on remarkable. I wouldn't be surprised if you hear from him.

• Like 1

Fret not jake you can flip, flop and fry as much as you like if it is the right model number? But if not then I would call Auscrown and get it sorted because they are legally obliged. My experience with them this afternoon FWIW has bben very positive.

Edited by legselevens

Fret not jake you can flip, flop and fry as much as you like if it is the right model number. But if not then I would call Auscrown and get it sorted because they are legally obliged. My experience with them this afternoon FWIW has bben very positive.

Oh it's the right number alright. The one mentioned in the recall :)

Trying to decide on a decent outdoor built-in plumbed in wok/side burner with grunt. Not many options. Electrolux have a model with only 13Mj. At this stage, going with the beefeater SS side burner rated at 20Mj - not bad, but will limit volume I can put in wok.

Any other suggestions (that aren't LPG)?

I'd call Auscrown. I think they sell a burner that is ffor indoors use but not as hot as the rambo burner. I've seen similar in youtube vids of Asian home cooks.

Hey legselevens. Need something for built-in outdoors rather than indoors. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I bought a burner the 55mj one and similar to what Jake said it is absolutely more than enough to do the job. Got a new wok too and seasoned it according to the link and it worked extremely well.

This one is better and has more info.

So far it is going well but I've only tried Pad si eiw, Khao pad and Pad pak boong. I love that stuff.