Sign in to follow this  
gainphile

Mastering the Wok

Being born in the 'teflon' generation I had been wondering why chinese cooking taste so good at the restaurant, but I could not replicate it at home.

Brand new Wok from Springvale $2 shop. This 12" cost me $15.

DSC_3831.jpg

Like a good cable or capacitor, the Wok needs to be burn in. Luckily it does not take 200 hours but a mere 1 hr. :)

DSC_3839.jpg

All the way throughout the Wok, then coat a thin film of vegetable oil. I use sunflower oil here.

DSC_3848.jpg

Do it three times or more until the carbon-steel wok is, well .. carbonated. Non sticky surface !

The awesome heat retention of the Wok created these effect when cooking !

DSC_3872.jpg

DSC_3874.jpg

Never.. ever wash the carbonated wok with soap. Just pour water when hot and scrub with this asian tool.

Too easy !!

DSC_3876.jpg

My wok after 3 test runs: Nasi goreng, stir fry vegetables, and prawns:

They get better as they age/used. Unlike teflon.

DSC_3878.jpg

Next... to buy a proper burner. While my stove will do 18Mj and commercial wok burners are about 55Mj, this beast will output 130Mj !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130Mj-Safety-Ex-High-Pressure-Gas-Wok-Burner-Stove-Hose?item=250697802808&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5136802160568283763

Burner.jpg

My future birthday present :)

These are the best wok money can buy, it's not high tech but the procedure you have shown is the best for that wok. I have been married for 24yrs and we have gone through a 2nd one of these, countless number of Teflon frying pans. You can buy these at almost all Asian type grocery stores, it's a sin not to have one if you have an Asian member in the group!

Being born in the 'teflon' generation I had been wondering why chinese cooking taste so good at the restaurant, but I could not replicate it at home.

Brand new Wok from Springvale $2 shop. This 12" cost me $15.

DSC_3831.jpg

Like a good cable or capacitor, the Wok needs to be burn in. Luckily it does not take 200 hours but a mere 1 hr. :)

DSC_3839.jpg

All the way throughout the Wok, then coat a thin film of vegetable oil. I use sunflower oil here.

DSC_3848.jpg

Do it three times or more until the carbon-steel wok is, well .. carbonated. Non sticky surface !

The awesome heat retention of the Wok created these effect when cooking !

DSC_3872.jpg

DSC_3874.jpg

Never.. ever wash the carbonated wok with soap. Just pour water when hot and scrub with this asian tool.

Too easy !!

DSC_3876.jpg

My wok after 3 test runs: Nasi goreng, stir fry vegetables, and prawns:

They get better as they age/used. Unlike teflon.

DSC_3878.jpg

Next... to buy a proper burner. While my stove will do 18Mj and commercial wok burners are about 55Mj, this beast will output 130Mj !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130Mj-Safety-Ex-High-Pressure-Gas-Wok-Burner-Stove-Hose?item=250697802808&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5136802160568283763

Burner.jpg

My future birthday present :)

What price do they sell for?

Yep, nothing taste's better than a good fried rice dish done on a wok...just brilliant!

Ummmm-- I'm a white guy--will mine work? :D

W

:D :D

Ok.. my first documented 'wok project'... Bok Choy Baby stir fry...

Ingredients are simple:

- Bok Choy Baby

- Garlic

- Shrimp (not shown)

- Fish Sauce

- Sunflower oil

DSC_3881.jpg

Heat the wok extremely, then put in oil, prawn. Put in garlic.

It made a HUGE fire, setting off the smoke alarm... yum

DSC_3883.jpg

The final 'product' ....

DSC_3884.jpg

One prawn?

Stingy bastard!

correction: one healthy stingy bastard :cool:

What price do they sell for?

It's on the listing, $200. The problem is that it's LPG, which most people don't have. That's the only way to get that degree of heat.

I have a 50MJ burner in my wet kitchen for wok use and it's plenty hot enough. It scares me a bit so there is a fire blanket close by.

It's on the listing, $200. The problem is that it's LPG, which most people don't have. That's the only way to get that degree of heat.

I have a 50MJ burner in my wet kitchen for wok use and it's plenty hot enough. It scares me a bit so there is a fire blanket close by.

50.....nice......we've got an 18? (5Kw) in our cooker and its not nearly enough IMO. In other words, I dont bother anymore and just pop up to the noodle shop up the road

Edit: I found the lack of heat retention in the cheap woks an issue. We've tried - the cheap ones, cast iron le creuset, and our current which is an AllClad tri steel. We heat the buggery out of it and then cook in relatively small batches (half what the shops do) and it works well enough, but its a pain for something that should be quick

Edited by Elill

My stove is LPG and has a wok burner in it.

Could be hotter, I reckon.

freestanding-falcon-gas-ovenstove-clas11

freestanding-falcon-gas-ovenstove-clas11

edit - the blurb says it's 15.0MJh-1.

Edited by LogicprObe

You bought a wok from the "$2 Shop" and it cost you $15 ???

I bought a large one like this from a commercial kitchen place. Cost $25....18"

EO-Carbon-Steel-Wok-L.jpg

Edited by comfortablynumb

I'm going to admit that I don't use the 'proper' wok as featured in this thread.

I use a flat bottomed stainless steel jobbie.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

So, the question is: "Does the Gainwok taste better than the teflon wok?" Is it more accurate! :P

I have some woks like those, but I can't say I notice a difference to the non stick fry pan (yes, not even a wok). Could it be that my cooking is not good enough to reveal the difference? Or did I make a mistake by not testing it blind? What is the test protocol for wok evaluation?

I think the next GTG should involve the gainwok!

From what I have read you do need at least 50000 BTU for a good wok burner. I was looking at getting a free standing commercial unit but geez they are expensive. That small one linked to (although the linky no worky) looks great. I could set it into a stainless benchtop and save a bundle.

If I had a decent wok burner I would use it just about every day I reckon, such a great way to cook. Unfortunately no stove top manufacturer makes a gas burner even remotely hot enough for proper wok cooking.

I bought a large one like this from a commercial kitchen place. Cost $25....18"

EO-Carbon-Steel-Wok-L.jpg

This is the exact one I have at home, @ 5000BTU the teflon will die within a few minutes. :huh:

My parents ran a Fish and Chip Shop on Centre RD Clayton for 17yrs, I grew up peeling patatoes and chopping them to produce french fries on the weekends.  I clearing remember the long hours I put in with no pay, just the love of it.  They use to offer home made Chiko Rolls, the fillings that consist of was beef mince and chopped cabbages  and a small variety of other goodness was all done on this type wok but larger.  Then we would use a smaller wok to make the pastry that the fillings were rolled in.  It is then place in batter until the pastry skin is golden brown and floats to the top.  Out of this mix it would give us  over 100 units, they would sell out by Friday and then the process would start again.  I helped until I was 22.  Then my parent retired as it was too much for my dad.  

These woks are the main tools for asian cooking, I just did my Serloin beef steak in one of these this evening for dinner. I should have taken some pics but didnt realised I was going to share this with you on SNA.

These woks are F****g tough. No scanpan, or circulon with unconditional warranty thats European made are ever going to outlast the $18 or $25 wok from a $2 dollar shop. In my 17 yrs @ my parents Fish & Chips, I only remember it getting replaced 3 times.  Not bad for a something thats used commercially day in day out.  And with a commercial kitchen, 5000BTU you can fry the scanpan or circulon in these wok, but the wok will survive.

LOL!

We only used deep fryers in our Fish and Chips shop in Manly.

So, the question is: "Does the Gainwok taste better than the teflon wok?" Is it more accurate! :P

I have some woks like those, but I can't say I notice a difference to the non stick fry pan (yes, not even a wok). Could it be that my cooking is not good enough to reveal the difference? Or did I make a mistake by not testing it blind? What is the test protocol for wok evaluation?

You can go at higher temperature with this, much higher than a Scanpan or a Circulon,  the idea is to get enough heat into the oil, toss the goodies in and then get it out when it looks done, therefore the flavour, texture in the goodies remains.  

Once teflon is heated to around 400 degree C the fumes you see being emitted is toxic, you have to stay around 200 to be safe this was shown in ACA.

LOL!

We only used deep fryers in our Fish and Chips shop in Manly.

Manly has some nice Fish and Chip Shops, I know I stay at the Hotels in Manly when I come up for training in Fenches Forest.  I go every 6-12 months depending on new releases, but my next trip may not be there as the company has moved West.

The Fish and Chips were done using a deep fry, so were the Chiko Rolls we made, it was the fillings and pastry that was done on the wok.

I always liked the home made spring rolls.

(we didn't have them.................I'd get them from the Chinese restaurant)

BTW, 

ZB, if you read this thread and get to this post, most of these woks are MADE IN CHINA!  :party

Its rather tiring replacing those teflon pots and pans but still need one or two for the convenience. I would say we are eating teflon as they age...

Its rather tiring replacing those teflon pots and pans but still need one or two for the convenience. I would say we are eating teflon as they age...

There was a report a year or two ago blaming teflon for something or other.

edit - http://home.howstuffworks.com/nonstick-cookware5.htm

Du Pont says don't get them too hot.

Edited by LogicprObe

$15 is to expensive hey... I feel ripped off !! :lol:

There is a MASSIVE difference between carbon-steel wok and alumunium frying pan. If you can't tell the difference then your tounge is not sensitive enough ;)

For one, there is no huge flaming fire out of alumunium wok !! I can't even think to eat food cooked without huge flaming fire :P

Next GTG I will bring the wok and I can cook 2 stir fry bok choy on differet pans. blind. :D