Sign in to follow this  
progladyte

Time to Retire the Topfield - for a New Blue Ray Player with HDD recorder.

Hi guys,

I have an older model Topfield which does not have HDMI and which has just stopped working through the suppied connections. It does work with the 3 usual video / audio cables however.

I am looking at updating this for a unit that has the following features if possible.

Blue Ray Player (Region free updatable if possible)

Twin HDD recorder with at least 500Gig capacity plus the ability to add / change HDD later if required.

Wifi or ethernet built in so I can copy content across from my HD in the study. This needs to work without any proprietary software supplied by Samsung / LG / Panasonic etc as I wish to merely copy content (Videos / music / photos / Youtube etc) rather than get locked into pay for service add-ons.

USB connectivity for other content.

HDMI connectivity to an Onkyo Receiver or Sony TV.

I don't have a 3D TV so this is not an issue right now but may prevent future obsolescence if included.

I'm on a budget so about $400-$500 is my top price but would prefer to snag a once off bargain for about $300 if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Prog.

Sounds expensive!

You got a raise?

edit - actually.............my computer does all that and more!

While you were away, I rebuilt it.

Cut the storage down to 8TB.

Edited by LogicprObe

The panasonic DMR XW520 is a ripper. Only $400 now and it should tick most of your boxes.... and Panasonic will pay to have it unlocked for DVD regions...

Cheers

M

Edited by unclemack

+1 on the panasonic but I think the Good Guys have a Samsung model around Xmas for around the $200 that tick most of the boxes!  Go check it out and report back. JB has a lot of these units with different names I cant remember and a sales rep in Melb were flogging of a unit @ almost 1/2 price, possible because they cant move them, unfortunately I didnt pick it up!

Thanks guys.

PC, that Samsung was the one that piqued my interest initially but knowing my lateness to the party, they will have prolly sold out.

+1 on the panasonic but I think the Good Guys have a Samsung model around Xmas for around the $200 that tick most of the boxes!  Go check it out and report back. JB has a lot of these units with different names I cant remember and a sales rep in Melb were flogging of a unit @ almost 1/2 price, possible because they cant move them, unfortunately I didnt pick it up!

Yep, at that price, I was a bit late as well, apparently they ran out the door!

Are they getting some more?

A mate of mine is after a new one............his current one is on its last legs.

Whatever you decide on be careful with anything branded Freeview. Under their licensing rules they do not allow any exporting of recorded programmes so if this is handy for you, double check before buying. Maybe this is not a big deal for you but it is handy to know!

That's good advice HC!

I don't wish to get caught like that so thanks for the heads up.

Prog.

Off memory it was advertised between the low to mid $200, and yes it did come with a bluray player with twin tuners and you can record 2 program's at once, not sure of the freeview.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this