Time to Retire the Topfield - for a New Blue Ray Player with HDD recorder.

Hi guys,

I have an older model Topfield which does not have HDMI and which has just stopped working through the suppied connections. It does work with the 3 usual video / audio cables however.

I am looking at updating this for a unit that has the following features if possible.

Blue Ray Player (Region free updatable if possible)

Twin HDD recorder with at least 500Gig capacity plus the ability to add / change HDD later if required.

Wifi or ethernet built in so I can copy content across from my HD in the study. This needs to work without any proprietary software supplied by Samsung / LG / Panasonic etc as I wish to merely copy content (Videos / music / photos / Youtube etc) rather than get locked into pay for service add-ons.

USB connectivity for other content.

HDMI connectivity to an Onkyo Receiver or Sony TV.

I don't have a 3D TV so this is not an issue right now but may prevent future obsolescence if included.

I'm on a budget so about $400-$500 is my top price but would prefer to snag a once off bargain for about $300 if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Prog.

+1 on the panasonic but I think the Good Guys have a Samsung model around Xmas for around the $200 that tick most of the boxes!  Go check it out and report back. JB has a lot of these units with different names I cant remember and a sales rep in Melb were flogging of a unit @ almost 1/2 price, possible because they cant move them, unfortunately I didnt pick it up!

Thanks guys.

PC, that Samsung was the one that piqued my interest initially but knowing my lateness to the party, they will have prolly sold out.

+1 on the panasonic but I think the Good Guys have a Samsung model around Xmas for around the $200 that tick most of the boxes!  Go check it out and report back. JB has a lot of these units with different names I cant remember and a sales rep in Melb were flogging of a unit @ almost 1/2 price, possible because they cant move them, unfortunately I didnt pick it up!

Whatever you decide on be careful with anything branded Freeview. Under their licensing rules they do not allow any exporting of recorded programmes so if this is handy for you, double check before buying. Maybe this is not a big deal for you but it is handy to know!

• Like 2

Off memory it was advertised between the low to mid $200, and yes it did come with a bluray player with twin tuners and you can record 2 program's at once, not sure of the freeview.