Sign in to follow this  
Arthur K

"Better" phono stage suggestions.

Amen, Leon. Amen. You have spoken volumes about your integrity, which is worth more than gold. I have often wondered if this xtreme end of the hifi spectrum is more like the other no-go zones (religion and politics). The 'currently spinning' thread tells me that many serious music lovers might spend big bucks on equipment, but when it comes down to it, the thrill of the song rules! Can the 2 become as one?

As an aside, I once advised a dear friend to pick his music first and then build his system around that choice. The end result was Krell pre and power amps feeding (my precious) Duntech Marquis from a Meridian DAC & transport, and a Clearaudio turntable (he had to borrow my records to actually use the darned thing!!!) He wasn't happy! Gasp! Is this a tweaker's fate or is there yet hope for those who ever seek that final moment of truth... ?

HOW TO GET 3 LP 45RMP DISCS

Sorry.Bosereworked.

I went of in a tangent.

These things are WELL WORTH GETTING.

1]Subscribe to the record company that is making the discs[it's the ONLY way you will get them}http://www.classicrecs.com/

2]Since Classic does not deal directly over the internet anymore ,well,you set up a deal with this mob.

http://www.redeye.com.au/iAsk.asp?reion=USA

They are the distributors of Classic Records.

The thing is UNLESS you a a SUBSCRIBER of CLASSIC RECORDS you will not be offered this manner of reproduction,as the whole shebang is on a PREORDER basis.they take the order .stamp the discs,then DESTROY THE DISCS.

So the easiest thing to do is just subcribe to Classic Records,you might not get what has happened before,but you will be on the list of what is to come.

Just a small aside on the financial aspect. May people with much more money that probably any of us here do spend a lot on hifi and never actually appreciate it or have been sold products that don't actually perform anywhere near to their $ value. Oh to be rich and to actually know what we want!

I read in the paper that the new head of Telstra, Sol Trujillo, is looking for a place to rent at $4000- per week. I almost fell over. Then came the clanger. That was only 2% of his possible remuneration with Telstra... I wonder what sort of hifi he has ;-)

He probably has his WIFE decide this for him.

If you are thinking it will cost you a small fortune to get these discs,well it won't.

It's all relative

If you make the effort to purchase these discs,they do NOT lose value,they actualy GAIN value due to their unobtainability after the subscribed amount of discs have been made,well the disc pressing master is destroyed.

Then NO MORE COPIES.

I'm pleased to report that "Reference Recordings" is back after a stint in the legal courts.

http://www.referencerecordings.com/

The magic returns.

If you have not heard anything about this outlet,[get with it] they rock as far as audiophiles go.

How true, Tweaky. The WAF is probably the only real reason why Bang & Olufson survived (let alone thrived). And we shan't mention the current range of Bose 'virtually invisible' satellite systems, shall we...?

I wonder if really good recordings, whether on vinyl or on CD, should be considered as 'tweaks' or as a consumer's right? If the latter, then we should all be up in arms over what is usually offered in lieu of real hi-fidelity music reproduction "software". After all, is it really worth spending $US100,000 on a hi-fi system (check out earlier posts) if you only have 10 or so albums/CD's worthy of such equipment?

NB I have spent only a fraction of the afore-mentioned amount on equipment, but the question still stands.

Well having two neices 19+18 that have been brought up with CD as their mainstay regarding playback and their use of ipods.

I actually thrill,[and so do they]when they get to hear back a LP.

You should of seen their faces when i did a comparison between one of their CD's and the same thing on LP

I think "JAW Dropping" would be a understatment to the looks on their faces.

I'm now the favorite uncle,just got to get them to know how to CUE up a record,working on it!

As for "system first" or "music first"

Know your musical taste,know what you like about that music.

Then choose a system that will reproduce "that music" the way you invisaged it.

Then you will be happy.....for a while....then the "I think if I change the amp I might get more bass" syndrom get's to you........and after countless $$$ you realise your mistake.

If you are fortunate,you would not of sold the previous amp and can revert back.

If like so many before us,have sold previous amp and find NOT happy with the new one......well.....you have just learn't a invaluable lesson.

Never Replace A Component When You Don't Have A Comparision Component!

Here endith the lesson.....which has taken me years to get right. :wink:

Hi Leporello,

I read the first page of the thread but couldn't find where anyone had actually suggested a better phono stage so I thought I'd chip in. You live in Sydney ... have a look at the www.VacuumState.com web page - or, rather, Allen's Sydney colleague Joe Rasmussen's at:

http://www.customanalogue.com/jlti_phono_stage.htm

Allen Wright and Joe have come out with a new phono stage which you can audition at a Sydney retailer - it says who, I think, in the article. Or contact Joe direct.

No matter what the others say, my 2c worth is that this will definitely make your vinyl rig sound better. I'd love to audition one on my old LP12 but I have to wait until Joe makes a trip to Melbourne!

Regards,

Andy

Thanks Andy!

Interesting site and products.

If you audition the phonostage please let us know how it sounds.

BTW, what phono stage are you using now?

Cheers mate.

Originally posted by Leporello

Thanks  Andy!

Interesting  site  and  products.

If you  audition  the  phonostage  please  let us know  how it sounds.

BTW,  what  phono stage are you using now?

Cheers  mate.

I think you'll find it easier to audition one than I will ... it seems Joe doesn't come "south of the border" all that often! :sad:

My current "phono stage" unfortunately is not yet available as a complete, stand-alone unit ... however it may be! It consists of a separate, battery powered head amp (aka pre-pre-amp) to raise the output of my 0.28mV Benz LP to MM levels, which feeds the MM phono stage integrated into my AKSA GK-1 pre amp.

It's the best I've ever had in my system and displaced a Bill Beard BBP100 phono stage which I had been using ... even though I had improved the sound of that by replacing its PS. And the BBP100 replaced the phono boards which I had been using in my old Naim preamp.

All driven, I might add, by an "old" LP12! :)

Regards,

Andy

Gosh Andy, I see you've been down a long upgrade road on the Vinyl path.. :shock:

Very sensible to use a battery powered head amp. as this is the one most critical stage in the chain, when it comes to noise issues.

In my case, the Musical Fidelity XLP S replaced an Audio Reseach SP 5 Preamp, which had an inbuild phono stage.

When I replaced the SP 5 with another Audio Research, the LS 2 hybrid preamp. I had to buy a phono stage and that's how the XLP S became a 'resident'.

I have been very happy with the M.F. but I wonder, just how much better it gets, and this is my motive for the search of a "better" phono stage.

I will try to arrange an audition with the JLTi and, if possible, have it at home in my own set up.

Will keep you guys posted with the results.

... I have been  very  happy  with  the  M.F.  but  I  wonder,  just  how  much  better  it  gets,  and  this  is  my  motive  for  the  search  of  a  \"better\"  phono stage.

I  will  try  to  arrange  an  audition  with  the  JLTi and, if possible,  have  it  at  home  in  my  own  set up.

Will  keep  you  guys  posted  with  the  results.

Haha, Leporello ... yes, I too have always been in the grip of "can it be better?" psychosis!! :smile:

I'd certainly be interested in your impressions of Joe's "jlti" unit when you've been able to listen to it. He said to me they'd had a series of "shootouts" with some "several thousand USD phono stages" and it creamed them!

Just one point ... I don't think you specified whether you have an MC or MM cartridge (so whether you need high gain or not) but in my experience, you want as "basic" a phono stage as possible. I believe that all switches to change gain, change cartridge load, invert polarity etc. always compromise the signal in a phono stage (seeing as that signal is so small!).

The absolutely BEST way of changing cartridge load in a phono stage is to have the standard 47K load resistor at the circuit input but have a parallel pair of input RCAs which allow you to inset "loaded" plugs into them. The phono cable goes into the "primary" input sockets and RCA plugs with appropriate resistors (or capacitors) soldered across them go into the secondary pair. Because of the 47K in parallel, basically, any resistor value you use in these "loaded" plugs becomes the load value (eg. 1K ohms comes down to 979 ohms; 100 ohms reduces to 99.8 ohms).

Happy auditioning, :)

Andy

Originally posted by andyr

Haha, Leporello ... yes, I too have always been in the grip of \"can it be better?\" psychosis!!   :smile:  

I'd certainly be interested in your impressions of Joe's \"jlti\" unit when you've been able to listen to it.  He said to me they'd had a series of \"shootouts\" with some \"several thousand USD phono stages\" and it creamed them!

That's  quite  a  claim  Andy  but,  high  price  does  not  always  equate  to  high(er)  quality  sound,  so  I wouldn't  be  too  suprised  if  his  statement  is  right!

Just one point ... I don't think you specified whether you have an MC or MM cartridge (so whether you need high gain or not) but in my experience, you want as \"basic\" a phono stage as possible.  I believe that all switches to change gain, change cartridge load, invert polarity etc. always compromise the signal in a phono stage (seeing as that signal is so small!).

My  Benz  cart.  is  an  MC  but with  high output and  works  well  in  the  MM  input  of  the  XLP S.

The absolutely BEST way of changing cartridge load in a phono stage is to have the standard 47K load resistor at the circuit input but have a parallel pair of input RCAs which allow you to inset \"loaded\" plugs into them.  The phono cable goes into the \"primary\" input sockets and RCA plugs with appropriate resistors (or capacitors) soldered across them go into the secondary pair.  Because of the 47K in parallel, basically, any resistor value you use in these \"loaded\" plugs becomes the load value (eg. 1K ohms comes down to 979 ohms; 100 ohms reduces to 99.8 ohms).

Hmmm.... Yes,  this  is  a  good  way  to  try  different  loading  but  can  only  be  done  to  a  DIY  project,  I  wouldn't  dream  of  'modifying'  ( drilling  etc.) something  like  the  XLP S  or  Joe's  pride and joy!  :smile:  :smile:  

Happy auditioning,   :)

Andy

Thank You.

I wouldn't dream of 'modifying' (drilling etc.) something like the XLP S or Joe's pride and joy! .

Aha ... but Joe also believes phono stages should have that feature!

Regards,

Andy

Has he got that facility then included in his phono stage?

It would be very handy if he did, making it much more versitile to work with cartridges of different outputs and impedances.

Has  he  got  that  facility  then  included  in  his  phono  stage?

It  would  be  very  handy  if  he  did,  making  it  much  more  versitile  to  work  with  cartridges  of  different  outputs  and  impedances.

Yes, absolutely!! (And I didn't steal the idea from him ... great minds think alike! :razz: )

Regards,

Andy

Guest Si74

Hi there,

as a long time XLP user, if you can pick up a used X-PSU, it will make a surprisng

difference to your xlp/s.

I think this would stand you in good stead till you upgraded your arm/cartridge.

I had to go to a Quicksilver vave stage to beat the xlp/x-psu combo.

now have a Supratek Syrah with inbuilt stage and a Lancelot Camelot dc powered stage for mm duties.

If you can find a Clearaudio Basic Ltd (not the standard Basic) these are amazingly good stages for the money.

Just for your info, I use a Linn with the full Funkfirm/Vecotr kit, a modified Oracle and a heavily modded Xerxes. I have NO hankerings for any of the VPIs, Clearaudios, SMEs or Schues that I

have heard.