In praise of the Beatles vinyl box set

There is another thread here about this vinyl box set, but unfortunately it has rarely talked about the actual product. I received my box set today, and so far have listened to 6 albums.

Firstly, I am listening through a Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S with a ZYX 4D cartridge into an RCM Prelude then fully balanced into Meridian G02/G57 and output through Osborn Epitome speakers. In my opinion, this is a decent system which can discern good production from bad.

The Beatles discs I have listened to so far have absolutely blown me away!

The quality of this reissue is such that these albums could have been recorded very recently, not nearly 50 years ago! The soundstage is huge, the instrumentation and vocals are clear, and overall the sound is dynamic.

I have been a fan of the Beatles since they started in the 60s, and I still have some of their original vinyl, but I have never heard them sound so good. 

I praise the producers/engineers of this reissue for doing a wonderful job.

If you like the Beatles, this is a fabulous collection to hear them at their very best.

The box set I have is the EU version.

Paul

• Like 5

Turntbale, are you saying the white album is good or bad?!

it was the one album I was going to buy of the new releases

See the other Beatles thread or Fremer's review on his web site for details.

IMO - BAD - very

Edited by turntable

Turntable. it would be good if you actually purchased the Beatles reissue vinyl, and listened to it yourself.

However, I have listened to the White album, and I disagree with you.

You rely on Fremer, and his views. Does Ringo really do what you say?!?!

The White album is more than one of the Beatles. It is a wonderful kaleidoscope of sounds.

Turntable. it would be good if you actually purchased the Beatles reissue vinyl, and listened to it yourself.

The White album is more than one of the Beatles. It is a wonderful kaleidoscope of sounds.

Hmmm. Great to see you have done your research - not!    You should not judge people based on your own low standards.

Have you read the other Beatles thread you referred to when you started this thread. Or do I have to provide some links for your benefit?. Then again, not sure why you even started this thread unless your expectation of others is based on your own laziness in making statements about people without any due diligence.

I have had the EU box set since Nov 9th and my opinion is based on listening and in comparison to my Australian and Japanese pressings. This is the only time I make an opinion.

I am happy you are happy with the White album. What pressings did you compare to?  

However if you do any level of research of others outside of my own opinion of this those who have listened and compared to existing copies, the White album is generally viewer as a bit of a disappointment.

Enjoy

Back to normal transmission.

Edited by turntable
  • Like 1

The White album is more than one of the Beatles. It is a wonderful kaleidoscope of sounds., 

Why wouldn't you rely, or at least be guided by, Fremer's views? he is one of the worlds best known vinyl advocates. his knowledge of all things vinyl is fantastic. he is reviewing the US pressing. Why wouldn't you feel he was honest about his findings? 
Cheers

M
Edited by unclemack

I'm not sure you can tell until you open the box and check the albums. They have made in EU printed on the label.

You may need to rely on advice from the supplier. I bought mine from Vinyl Eye and they were the EU pressings ( confirmed prior to purchasing!)

I'd suggest you have a look at the Michael Fremer's website  for his extensive reviews of the Beatles Box Set albums. The main difference seems to be with the quality of the pressings, with some serious quality control issues identified with the US pressings.

I dont have any other Beatles vinyl to compare them to, but I think they're a lot better than the CDs I had.

As a complete package, I think it's pretty good value as it probably costs the same as getting a near mint copy of an ideal pressing of just 1 or 2 albums!

I guess if you already have previous pressings, the Box Set may not add much more ( except for the book!)

I do agree with Turntable that the White Album is disappointing - it just doesnt sound right. 

Cheers

Hi guys, can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between the EU and USA edition?

I rang jb hifi about which edition they stocked and sold and they didn't have a clue, even after an extensive search of the box. Website is no help either.

I bought a couple of the albums from JBs (had a gift card) and they are definitely EU pressings.