reciver sugestions?

looking for some ideas on what sort of reciver would be best for me im running yamaha nst 849c flood standing speakers that are 130 watts at 6 ohms a not name 70 watts at 6 ohm centre that doesnt get used much and one sub soon i currently have a pioneer vsx-d209 which is onkly 8-16 ohm so not a good match for these im looking for around 90-120 watts per channel maybe a little more at 6 ohm preferably with hdmi input and auto calibration any help would be great more after older recivers as im looking towards second hand

I was luck enough to get a bargaIN  1 day sale 30% off on a Yamaha RX-V373 basic amp with 4 HDMI in and out. It has been flawless to setup and in use. at RR497 its ok but for my buy of $200 it was just excellent. Also speaker impedance is anything from 8 to 2 ohms. DVD via component, PVR via HDMI and VCR via composite. 5*100W and many sound processing options. Also each input is fine tunable in level and tone. Also each source video can be matched with any audio source.

It's wife friendly buttons on the remote which select the unit to turn on, select the right video and audio input, for TV/DVD/PVR/USB with one button press.

Seems excellent. One point it that for the video there is no converter. ie whatever type you select is what mode you need to have the tv set to. ie for any Hdmi input the TV is set to HDMI input. If its component then the tv input needs to be component. If this seems too much trouble then pay more for a model that has a built in format converter.

Only used with 2 sony ss-MF510 speakers 150W so far.

Looking at the specs for your Pioneer you may not notice a lot of difference except the better video options.

I just bought a second-hand AV receiver, so I have a fair idea of the second-hand market, I think. 

Firstly, though, forget about wattage ratings for speakers; there are meaningless. 

Also, disregard what manufacturers tell you about the receiver's power. They multiply the amount of power per channel that a receiver can put out if it is powering only one or two speakers by the total number of channels. As the receiver is constrained by its power supply (the transformer), these figures are completely untrue. If want to know how powerful a receiver really is, look at the total power draw, which is sometimes at the bottom of the spec sheet or at the back of the receiver near the power cable. Divide that by the number of channels, then halve it (transformers are not completely efficient, and the receiver needs power to do other things e.g. video processing, and most importantly, the amplifiers dissipate a lot of power as heat). 

For example, the Sony STR-DA5300ES I just bought is rated at 120 watts x 7 channels. That's 840 watts, right? But look around the back .. the total power draw is only 480 watts! Does it have a micro-nuclear reactor inside? Err, no. And if you follow my rule of thumb for halving that, it'll be about 480 / 7 / 2 = 34 watts per channel if you're using the full complement of 7 speakers, or 48 watts per channel if you're using five. 

Anyway, enough about that. It sounds like you have an idea about what features and connectivity you want, so make sure you get those things. If you are looking second hand, though, be aware that the HDMI standard has gone through several revisions; the current one is HDMI 1.4a. If you buy a HDMI 1.3 receiver (about 2008-2009 vintage), it won't do 3D, I'm told. With auto-calibration, most receivers within the last few years have that. Just decide what else you really want, what you would like but could live without, and what you don't care about. 

If you're buying second-hand, as you go older you are trading off the newer features (e.g. HDMI 1.4) for a better-built, higher-up-the-range model with a more powerful transformer, better casework, backlit remote, whatever. Second hand AVRs depreciate fast, so you have that in your favour. 

Say your budget is $500 - you could get:

- a brand new Yamaha RXV-473 from Eastwood Hi-Fi (a shop I recommend, btw)  [$499] - second from the bottom of the range

- a refurbished Yamaha RXV-665 from Excel Hi-Fi [$439] - fourth model up

- what I got: a Sony STR-DA 5300ES from eBay [recent sale prices $470, $475, $500, $600] - near the top of the range

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

thank you very much i dont mind my reciver personally just that as far as im aware it will damage my speaker as its rated at 16-8 ohm while my speakers are 6 ohm (correct me if im wrong) only reason im thinking of an upgrade so early is to prevent damaging my speakers i got them cheap and dont think i could get another set for the same price if i have no need to upgrade atm (it wont damage the speakers) then ill wait get a nice 10-12 inch sub now and upgrade the reciver later btw mostly play in 2.1 as my mains are a hell of a lot better then my centre ( yamaha nst-849c fronts versus some rg digital centre lol)

There are others here who know far more than me about ohms, watts and volts. Seek them out for a definitive answer about this.

But AFAIK: just don't play too loud, I think. If you hear the speakers distorting, you may be in trouble. But judging by your profile pic, high volumes may not be on the agenda with a newborn??

I do not disagree with other posts. As far as I know you wont damage your speakers if you run an amp with different ohms. The speakers do not have a constant ohm anyway. My Yamaha Avr can do 6 and 8 ohm and i use it set on 6 ohm on 4 ohm speakers.

AFAIK the ohm mismatch will reduce sound quality

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="target101" data-cid="826304" data-time="1357913541"><p>

ummm so i just hooked up my multi meter to my speaker terminals on the boxes and the reading from both sides is 4.9 ohms...wtf is this normal?</p></blockquote>

Using a multimeter won't give a true reading of a speakers impedance, just its dc resistance.

The reading is not abnormal; ie nothing to worry about.

ummm so i just hooked up my multi meter to my speaker terminals on the boxes and the reading from both sides is 4.9 ohms...wtf is this normal?

The impedance varies with frequency....a speaker rated at 8 ohms is only a nominal indicator as the impedance will dip to 6,4, or maybe as low as 2 ohms at different frequencies across the audio band. That's when it becomes a more difficult load for the amplifier to drive...

ok well i solved my problems for the massive sum of fourty bucks i got a sherwood rd-6513 amp 100 w per channel 6 ohm hdmi input auto set up etc makes the speakers sound completely different and alot better amp is also a bit heavier so yeah amp and speaker so far total outlay of 100 haha budget stereo ftw