Mercedes A Class

The front is ok, the arse looks a little droopy for my liking.

Agreed, too small/short to have this styling.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few external shots,         the grill is an absolute thing of beauty and love the big propeller up the front  

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple o

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc... As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typica

Guest JohnA

Only review I've partially read said 0-100kph in 5sec dead. That's super quick. What has been left out to make it poverty pack? It's got quite a few extras over the GTi. My wife's gti was optioned with leather and LED light package. It's hardly a poverty pack car despite us not wanting some of the silly options.

would be interesting to see if this one gets released

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-reveals-new-280kmh-golf-r400-20140421-36zgr.html

• Moderators

Only review I've partially read said 0-100kph in 5sec dead. That's super quick. What has been left out to make it poverty pack? It's got quite a few extras over the GTi. My wife's gti was optioned with leather and LED light package. It's hardly a poverty pack car despite us not wanting some of the silly options.

Comparisons are with audi s3 & a45. And both those come loaded :)

Like the gti by the time load that up you end up in merc a250 pricing. Same goes with the golf R load up and the s3 is better buying since that comes with leather standard for instance. But yeah if want to buy basic stick both gti and golf R still good buying.

The review I read had golf r vs gti and the golf r is hard edged in handling and other aspects it seems. No longer a daily car for many I suspect.

Since when could any of these be considered a daily drive unless you live somewhere other than a major city. In just about ever review I've seen the Golf gets the nod over the Audi (from a driving perspective, not the quality of the seats), A45's in a different price league isn't it but you could add the M135i into the mix.

Golf 7 R, not sure I like the exhaust note but it's quick and nimble...

Edited by KenTripp

Since when could any of these be considered a daily drive unless you live somewhere other than a major city. In just about ever review I've seen the Golf gets the nod over the Audi (from a driving perspective, not the quality of the seats), A45's in a different price league isn't it but you could add the M135i into the mix.

Golf 7 R, not sure I like the exhaust note but it's quick and nimble...

That looks like it's out of Forza 5 :)

• Like 1

Hey Tony has that 425i coupe turned up yet mate and if so where's the pics?

It's a 428i, mate. :thumb:

Had it about 3 weeks and loving it. :love

Just a few other things happening ATM that are taking up all my time, so I haven't been posting much about anything.

I'll try to post some pics and driving impressions because I think this thing warrants it.  The difference from the old Ford is just amazing.  Besides that, I reckon it will prove very photogenic.  The red interior, in particular. is just gorgeous.  So glad to get away from boring black. :)

• Like 2
  • Moderators

Just a few other things happening ATM that are taking up all my time, so I haven't been posting much about anything.

I'll try to post some pics and driving impressions because I think this thing warrants it.  The difference from the old Ford is just amazing.  Besides that, I reckon it will prove very photogenic.  The red interior, in particular. is just gorgeous.  So glad to get away from boring black. :)

congrats Tony ! we want photos ! :) great to hear re the red interior :)

The red CLA I saw today looked fab in the flesh

The tail lights with red really go well. Best colour IMO

Another new offering (not the full AMG but another offering to up the power ante it seems)

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/mercedes-c450-amg-sport-coming-in-2015-20140424-375cs.html

New full fat C63 replacement with 2xA45 blocks joined together will be released end of 2014. Can I have one mom, please?

Edited by norpus
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

The red CLA I saw today looked fab in the flesh

The tail lights with red really go well. Best colour IMO

Another new offering (not the full AMG but another offering to up the power ante it seems)

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/mercedes-c450-amg-sport-coming-in-2015-20140424-375cs.html

New full fat C63 replacement with 2xA45 blocks joined together will be released end of 2014. Can I have one mom, please?

yes they have to be seen in the flesh. the CLA45 and CLA200's have seen have looked very neat. looks quite low slung and hug the road. interesting thing notice with the CLA250 is it comes with all wheel drive.

wow the C450 looks a brute of thing it will be with twin A45 blocks feeding it ! 

wow the C450 looks a brute of thing it will be with twin A45 blocks feeding it !

C450 is not the full fat AMG Al, only is a tweaked C400 V6 3ltr twin turbo

The C63 coupe replacement will be the 4ltr beast with the double sized A45 engine.

http://www.worldofamg.com/2014/03/28/amg-gt-c190-slc-a-worthy-sls-replacement/

Gorgeous, at $300k would be a stretch to save for but where there is a will.....

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2014/Performance/Mercedes-Benz/amg-finally-confirms-gt-42958

Edited by norpus

• Moderators

C450 is not the full fat AMG Al, only is a tweaked C400 V6 3ltr twin turbo

The C63 replacement will be the 4ltr beast with the double sized A45 engine. Not sure if they have named it yet.

definitely sounds like a beast ! 

• Like 1

SO my M135i hatch came to ask if it could have its first free service last week, just under 22,000 ks on board. Everything went as usual no fuss no cost but a little surprise when they told me the next compulsory oil change will be in 9000 ks or for me in about 18 weeks time! You'd have thought the first service would have been done sooner than the second... please explain!

My main gripe and attended to at this service was the degree to which the outer drivers seat bolster leather was scuffing up already, seems my frequent getting in and out is causing the problem. They didn't ague the point with me and had a leather fix it team do a great job its even better now than when I picked her up. Another oddity is the way the bluetooth doesn't shut down when you leave the car, so when parked out the front of my office the damm thing will suddenly take over a mobile call, and by the time I run out and try and recover the calls lost, don't know what to do for that one yet not BMW when I asked.

They also inspected the tyres and asked if I needed the new roof mounted springback kit fitted? after they saw the outer front shoulders fairly gone (somewhere), I told them 90deg corners at 100 ks may be responsible for that and poor roads surfaces too, what do you think?

Sorry about the sudden downgrade Tim, must have been looking back too far. Glad to hear your enjoying the drive, what's bringing the most amount of driving pleasure so far and smiles?

A sales rep mate arrived in here a little while ago in a new blue Golf R only 400 on the clock, constant 4 wheel drive, we'll have a chance to compare soon, he reckons it'll rattle my hatches times not sure but he's already heading to Box Hill to chip it up, cheat! 

Norplus we need to do that too some time...  how's the wooffa?

Comparisons are with audi s3 & a45. And both those come loaded :)

Like the gti by the time load that up you end up in merc a250 pricing. Same goes with the golf R load up and the s3 is better buying since that comes with leather standard for instance. But yeah if want to buy basic stick both gti and golf R still good buying.

The review I read had golf r vs gti and the golf r is hard edged in handling and other aspects it seems. No longer a daily car for many I suspect.

But what are you after? Load up a GTI to a250 prices and you've got a racy luxury car rather than the Mercs subdued performance. Do you want performance to go with your luxury small car? S3 wouldn't be a match for the R, S3 is closer to GTI performance. Most people in this price segment are paying for the performance above the luxury, otherwise they will buy a C class or some SUV thing.

Agreed, like a big girl in yoga pants... it ain't pretty! The hatch is miles better.

SO my M135i hatch came to ask if it could have its first free service last week, just under 22,000 ks on board. Everything went as usual no fuss no cost but a little surprise when they told me the next compulsory oil change will be in 9000 ks or for me in about 18 weeks time! You'd have thought the first service would have been done sooner than the second... please explain!

I think the "run in" oil will be getting a secondary flush with the 9000km oil change. Only a guess though... I used to change the $$$ oil in my modded '02 Rex every 5000km.

I think the "run in" oil will be getting a secondary flush with the 9000km oil change. Only a guess though... I used to change the $$$ oil in my modded '02 Rex every 5000km.

That's a thought Blybo, thanks for that.

• Moderators

But what are you after? Load up a GTI to a250 prices and you've got a racy luxury car rather than the Mercs subdued performance. Do you want performance to go with your luxury small car? ~

oh what am I after ?, made that choice while back now going from mk6 gti to the merc a250. for luxury and performance is exactly what was looking for and very happy with my choice :)

~ S3 wouldn't be a match for the R, S3 is closer to GTI performance. Most people in this price segment are paying for the performance above the luxury, otherwise they will buy a C class or some SUV thing.

sorry I think you have all your performance and pricing all mixed up perhaps. there is no audi equivalent model for the gti. The current model audi S3 and mk7 golf R are level peg in performance engine(power torque) etc. in pricing the golf R basic is $60k on the road the basic audi S3 is $66k on the road. not much really between them in price to pick from. I know which one I'd go for if choosing between either. I definitely wouldn't load up a golf R with options to $70k over an audi s3 .

• Moderators

My main gripe and attended to at this service was the degree to which the outer drivers seat bolster leather was scuffing up already, seems my frequent getting in and out is causing the problem. They didn't ague the point with me and had a leather fix it team do a great job its even better now than when I picked her up. Another oddity is the way the bluetooth doesn't shut down when you leave the car, so when parked out the front of my office the damm thing will suddenly take over a mobile call, and by the time I run out and try and recover the calls lost, don't know what to do for that one yet not BMW when I asked.

They also inspected the tyres and asked if I needed the new roof mounted springback kit fitted? after they saw the outer front shoulders fairly gone (somewhere), I told them 90deg corners at 100 ks may be responsible for that and poor roads surfaces too, what do you think?

hehe noted the scuff marks on the tyres even when you visited ageless with only what 9k on the clock. no driving style got nothing to do with it hehe

interesting on the leather. my last car in the golf gti had leather which my wife hated. and your right leather scuffs up a bit I guess. good to know bmw could sort that out though as new ! thats great news :)

that bluetooth sounds strange. they got an answer to that ?

No Al BMW don't have a fix for me yet., and it can happen without one noticing it if its quick you don't even hear a call come in just a lost call, or your walking back to your car in a call and suddenly nothing...... bloody nuisance actually.

• Moderators

No Al BMW don't have a fix for me yet., and it can happen without one noticing it if its quick you don't even hear a call come in just a lost call, or your walking back to your car in a call and suddenly nothing...... bloody nuisance actually.

yeah would expect bluetooth to switch off once car switched off and locked. though probably just a firmware thing or something, no doubt get sorted by germany and get an update to fix. 

A sales rep mate arrived in here a little while ago in a new blue Golf R only 400 on the clock, constant 4 wheel drive, we'll have a chance to compare soon, he reckons it'll rattle my hatches times not sure but he's already heading to Box Hill to chip it up, cheat!

Norplus we need to do that too some time... how's the wooffa?

Chipping yours? I had looked at doing to mine with a forum special April deal from rebellion for £695 - but didn't. (Reason, Warranty. Checked insurance and lease company did not mind)

Basil the wooffa has grown fast, as expected. Very lively, a lot of work for 3 of us, like a human toddler. Somewhat Destructive still. Seems to like attention even if negative behaviour. Different from previous dog who understood better. Got some great framed photos back today from the pro photo shoot he starred in.

The "E.A.R chew toy" (patent pending)

post-103915-0-63326200-1398944930_thumb.

Edited by norpus
  • Like 1

Hehe Ken, wait till he learns about table & chair legs and any thing else soft enough to sharpen those needle like teeth of his. LOL at your happy smile though...... and the rest of the gang are good too?

BMW sell a few chipping kits starting at about 2k -3.5 k giving quite a fair bit more shove 2k = 50kW more and so it goes, but how to get that down on the road with only 2 wheel rear drive is an issue I don't think I'm going to worry about, same as you maybe.Fully covered by them so no issues with the fuzz or insurance :) The Audi S3 is faster than mine simply because of the 4 wheel drive, but after 110 kph the extra grunt without wheel spin/slip wins for the Bimmer. I find having back passengers helps with this issue some too.

• Like 1

yeah would expect bluetooth to switch off once car switched off and locked. though probably just a firmware thing or something, no doubt get sorted by germany and get an update to fix. 

car takes 15 min to go to sleep, unlike me, 15 secs these days.

If your using the phone and switch off the car completely but stay on the phone via bluetooth till car sleep time arrives then suddenly your off line too, then its a mad scramble to get the phone out of your pocket in time before the call's lost if you follow me.

Edited by agelessgoodguy
  • Like 1

oh what am I after ?, made that choice while back now going from mk6 gti to the merc a250. for luxury and performance is exactly what was looking for and very happy with my choice :)

sorry I think you have all your performance and pricing all mixed up perhaps. there is no audi equivalent model for the gti. The current model audi S3 and mk7 golf R are level peg in performance engine(power torque) etc. in pricing the golf R basic is $60k on the road the basic audi S3 is $66k on the road. not much really between them in price to pick from. I know which one I'd go for if choosing between either. I definitely wouldn't load up a golf R with options to $70k over an audi s3 .

My question wasn't aim at you per se Al ;-)

Ah, okay, wasn't aware the S3 had repositioned itself to the R. Haven't looked at them since my Rex days, till just now. Still you are paying 10% more for what exactly? A badge and leather? The R has 19 inch wheels vs 18's in the S3, The R sits even lower than the GTI, which from memory is already 30mm lower than other Golfs. S3 says 20mm lower than a A3. So on paper it certainly looks like the R is the more performance oriented buy, the S3 is the "look at my car" buy. Of course I'd have to give both a serious fang to make a pure conclusion. I see no mention of the variable chassis control or trick diff you get in the Golf either. We find the chassis control great in the GTI, wife drives in comfort mode, I go straight for sport :P . The R takes it a step further with a Race setting.

On a personal note, the A/S3 Audi is the only ordinary looking car they make, if money was no object you'd see me in a RS5 in very quick fashion :love

Edited by blybo
  • Moderators

Ah, okay, wasn't aware the S3 had repositioned itself to the R. Haven't looked at them since my Rex days. Still you are paying 10% more for what exactly? A badge and leather? The R has 19 inch wheels vs 18's in the S3, The R sits even lower than the GTI, which from memory is already 30mm lower than other Golfs. S3 says 20mm lower than a A3. So on paper it certainly looks like the R is the more performance oriented buy, the S3 is the "look at my car" buy. Of course I'd have to give both a serious fang to make a pure conclusion. I see no mention of the variable chassis control or trick diff you get in the Golf either. We find the chassis control great in the GTI, wife drives in comfort mode, I go straight for sport :P . The R takes it a step further with a Race setting.

pass….

• Moderators

~

On a personal note, the A/S3 Audi is the only ordinary looking car they make, if money was no object you'd see me in a RS5 in very quick fashion :love

s3 ordinary looking?  

post-125306-0-70451000-1399008390_thumb.

I don't think the Audi S3 is ordinary looking by any means. either inside or out…personally I think people go for audi's over vw's when they want something bit more special..thats why they pay the slightly extra. its only reason I considered audi when I was looking to move on from the gti. as mentioned they didn't have anything a step up equivalent from the golf gti as it turned out. and the golfR didn't do it for me. s3 then was out of my reach. But fortunately the merc a250 came along  :love

pass….

Well you shouldn't pass because he's making sense. And as for "loading up" I still don't get this. How exactly to you "load up" an S3 with the better 4 wheel drive system the R has or the better diffs, chassis control etc. We're looking at hot hatches here aren't we and the R runs rings around the S3. If I ever get to the stage when looking at a 300hp & < 1500kg car and I'm more concerned with the interior quality or how luxurious the seats are I hope I've got the sense to just walk away because I'd obviously lost sight of what really matters.

Edited by KenTripp
  • Moderators

Well you shouldn't pass because he's making sense. And as for "loading up" I still don't get this. How exactly to you "load up" an S3 with the better 4 wheel drive system the R has or the better diffs, chassis control etc. We're looking at hot hatches here aren't we and the R runs rings around the S3. If I ever get to the stage when looking at a 300hp & < 1500kg car and I'm more concerned with the interior quality or how luxurious the seats are I hope I've got the sense to just walk away because I'd obviously be too old to drive the thing.

pass… :P

We are all entitled to our opinion on things, just as you are or anyone else. As I mentioned before there are plenty of cars out there to choose from. And we all choose something for our own reasons….I will leave it at that thanks. If wanting an argument on it you need to try another room and find another participant. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

have started to see some more additions to the A class merc family on the roads...

saw a GLA 200 and must admit quite a nice looking cross over vehicle that it is :)

also saw a CLA45 on the road this morning. looked sensational with the blacked out windows and way hunkered down on the road. come to think of it more and more CLA versions on the roads :)

Yes I see them more frequently now too

Both the. GLA and. CLA I find very attractive in the flesh compared to photos. Red with black wheels still my fave Al

If the GLA45 had been avail at the time of purchase, I am sure that is the way I would have gone, coming from the ML SUV. Which I would have had few regrets with, then again I love the A45 for what it is too.

Off this morning to the MB drive day at Sandown with one of my staff - he has a mountain grey A250 Al, his choice inspired by both you and I. Fun day today!

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Enjoy the track day norpus ! Yeah I sometimes think gla for my wife , but then remind myself she is a Mazda gal. But yeah very attractive in the metal both the cla and gla, photos definitely don't do justice !

A series do indeed look very nice in red :D