Mercedes A Class

I for one don't like the CLA45. I don't mind the hatch but I think CLA looks like the hatch with an appendage stuck on as an afterthought. I saw one a couple of weeks ago and wasn't impressed. 

But everyone has their own idea of what looks good.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few external shots,         the grill is an absolute thing of beauty and love the big propeller up the front  

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple o

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc... As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typica

http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/11/14/bmw-m235i-to-be-priced-from-79990.html

I like it. Pricing would have been higher if not for the sharp MB Australia market pricing

I note the pricing already includes LCT, so a similarly loaded M235i will be close to 85k drive away which is competing well with A45. Tougher choice if you like rwd fun and a coupe design

• Moderators

http://www.ausmotive.com/2013/11/14/bmw-m235i-to-be-priced-from-79990.html

I like it. Pricing would have been higher if not for the sharp MB Australia market pricing

I note the pricing already includes LCT, so a similarly loaded M235i will be close to 85k drive away which is competing well with A45. Tougher choice if you like rwd fun and a coupe design

the 50k base model is under powered though compared to the merc a250. and with 1 series bmw interior not sure what bmw is thinking with pricing on it really. the 235 though agree looks like a good option for those looking at a45 and wanting a coupe :)

• Moderators

ps I have mentioned just how many have made a particular point in showing some interest in my a250. well today takes the cake. daughter and I out and about on the freeway today. a motorcycle pulls up along side with girl riding on the back, both turn towards me leaning over give a big thumbs up and nod of the head pointing at the car hehe never seen anything like it ! youd think I was driving a ferrari or something hehe I've never had anything like this :D

• Like 2

ps I have mentioned just how many have made a particular point in showing some interest in my a250. well today takes the cake. daughter and I out and about on the freeway today. a motorcycle pulls up along side with girl riding on the back, both turn towards me leaning over give a big thumbs up and nod of the head pointing at the car hehe never seen anything like it ! youd think I was driving a ferrari or something hehe I've never had anything like this :D

I think they just fancied your warm lithe body, al.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

That was Mrs N and I Al

Didn't you recognise us in our leathers? ;)

hehe I'd believe you on that one ! could have been heading for a nice ride along the coast :)

ps I should say I had a repeat when I got back to the car parked at local shopping centre after some supermarket shopping with older daughter, to find two women checking out the a250 trying to peer in the tinted windows. Walking upto the car ask them if they want to look inside. Opened the doors for them, they have a good peek at it inside both front and back. Tell me it's GORGEOUS ! Love the mags, the interior. Ask me how it handles and whether it's an auto or a manual. Seems to get a bit of interest from women this thing Hehe

Come back tell my wife, she says well it's not a Porsche but I can use the car to pick up chicks :lol: with my corny pickup lines like "do you want to look inside" and especially if take one of the daughters along ! :D

• 4 weeks later...

• Moderators

have to agree murrmax, I would never have ever thought I would ever buy an A class  !  agree to the new C class really looks quite tasty. merc has done a wonderfull job in the style and design on their new release of these ranges :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Saw a red A45 with roof racks today.......doesn't work (cross that one off the list :( )

why on earth would anyone put roof racks on an a45 is beyond me ! 

why on earth would anyone put roof racks on an a45 is beyond me ! 

lol

i saw a cla45 with a rhinorack

I nearly drove into it in disbelieve!

it looked like a cherry ripe with a real cherry on top (because it was a matching red rhinorack!)

• Like 1
  • Moderators

lol

i saw a cla45 with a rhinorack

I nearly drove into it in disbelieve!

it looked like a cherry ripe with a real cherry on top (because it was a matching red rhinorack!)

:lol: what a nice way to wreck the lines on such a nice car.

ps I got a drive in Norpus' A45 on the weekend. wow what a fun machine ! the best part is the exhaust note, which is very prominent. and is true AMG in the burble and all sorts going on in sport mode. its more discrete in comfort mode but still there hehe. has the AMG exclusive pack as standard interior. which brings the AMG front seats and perforated leather seats in the back, better aircon. it has AMG lettering instead of mercedes benz on the runner boards as you enter. curiously missing the stainless rear runner boards the a250 has. interior wise looks quite identical to the a250 apart from the front seats and centre console shift lever for DNR. some other goodies like the AMG displays. Going for a drive the steering is a lot more direct with the a250 and suspension more connected again but yet I never felt it hard or harsh at any time. Never once too did it feel like even coming close to loosing traction. AMG done a magnificent job on the steering and suspension I reckon. Effortless acceleration and its not the kind of car where your insulated from all that performance. you really feel and hear it, its all there to enjoy. overall the A250 is very much like AMG very light by comparison. Worth every cent I reckon the a45 over the a250 :)

very interestingly we popped over to agelessgoodguys place afterwards and got a ride in his bmw 135i. now that in contrast is a very much more wolf in sheeps clothing kind of car. you really looking at it wouldn't know the performance that luis within, it looks not greatly different to the 125i. the front does look a lot nicer though and the rear more purposeful with its twin exhausts.  nice standard rubber in the michelin pilot super sports. interior wise looks no different than the 125i and hasn't got a hint of its sportiness vs the overtly sporty interiors of the A250/a45. more standard bmw with some touches of elegance in the woodgrain inserts and white leather interior. Bit more cramped in the rear where I was sitting and less head room than the A class. though bmw does have a slightly bigger/deeper boot.

getting a ride in the back, on the road plenty of go with this thing. though exhaust noise doesn't intrude or as overtly sporty as the a45. a bit more sludgy under acceleration, but otherwise handled both power and speed and changes in direction very well, the suspension and ride not like the hard M series have experienced at times. and overall a car that seems to suit ageless pretty well as a car thats a bit of fun and yet works pretty well as a daily drive.

very interesting cars both of them. either perfect for their owners I think. gees I would be stuck if trying to pick between either of them though ! :D 

ps ageless promisses me a drive in the 135i next time around he's going past, looking forward to that one ! :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

ageless popped around yesterday in his 135i hatch for the promised drive. so took it for a trundle around the streets where am. very nice car, behind the wheel a very different car. dash more presents itself to you. the seats are very comfy in the white leather, small chunky steering wheel. quite direct steering and chuckable. plenty of get up and go. on the sportiest setting the rear gets a bit squidgy just to remind its a rear wheel drive. the engine note is there, but not in your face or overt just so you know a nice sporty engine under the hood. very strong in acceleration, didnt really look at the speedo to see how quickly soon over the limit :D but defintiely a good sense of speed. while definitely felt how strong was under acceleration, I dont think ever came close to testing out the brakes to full measure. I always find acceleration easier to judge than braking, with ageless telling me I could brake a lot later than I was :)  like the a45 I didnt find the suspension or ride as hard or harsh. but yeah hot hatch firm and like the steering very well connected.

I couldnt help makign comparisons to the 125i hatch I test drove probably a year ago now when wondering whether to get one. and I would say the 125i with the M suspension was more harsh, hard. perhaps its the purpose built suspension on the 135i vs the M pack option that brings harder suspension on the 125i. the 135i also has the modes of comfort, sport, sport + etc which all play a part I think which the 125i didnt have. getting the 125i I think would definitely be wishing it was a 135i. definitely a very much wolf in sheeps clothing the 135i even more so these days than say the golf gti, golf R and bmw brings a hell of a lot more in the luxury and refinement as well 

anyways evenmore glad never got the 125i hehe but yeah if had the cash and looking for an everyday car with plenty of go and handling, luxury etc the 135i hatch sure presents as a very good option :)

Edited by :) al

anyways evenmore glad never got the 125i hehe but yeah if had the cash and looking for an everyday car with plenty of go and handling, luxury etc the 135i hatch sure presents as a very good option :)

or

you can get three or four Clio RS200 Cup cars, different colour per 2nd day and live with french unreliability heheheeheheheheheeheheehehehehehe

• Like 1
  • Moderators

or

you can get three or four Clio RS200 Cup cars, different colour per 2nd day and live with french unreliability heheheeheheheheheeheheehehehehehe

:lol: not sure how you get four ! :o

for ageless's bmw 135 hatch you could probably get 2 clio's and my merc a250 probably one and a half clios. perhaps depends what your after, but I cant see ageless in a clio let alone 2 of them ! hehe and on balance I'll stick with my merc :D

ps I suppose four clios does get around the french unreliability issue ! if one doesnt start you always have another, and if that doesnt start either you have a third one, and if that doesnt go either you have a fourth ! if the fourth doesnt start well your having a real bad day :huh: and probably best not leave the house :D 

Edited by :) al

ageless popped around yesterday in his 135i hatch for the promised drive. so took it for a trundle around the streets where am. very nice car, behind the wheel a very different car. dash more presents itself to you. the seats are very comfy in the white leather, small chunky steering wheel. quite direct steering and chuckable. plenty of get up and go. on the sportiest setting the rear gets a bit squidgy just to remind its a rear wheel drive. the engine note is there, but not in your face or overt just so you know a nice sporty engine under the hood. very strong in acceleration, didnt really look at the speedo to see how quickly soon over the limit :D but defintiely a good sense of speed. while definitely felt how strong was under acceleration, I dont think ever came close to testing out the brakes to full measure. I always find acceleration easier to judge than braking, with ageless telling me I could brake a lot later than I was :)  like the a45 I didnt find the suspension or ride as hard or harsh. but yeah hot hatch firm and like the steering very well connected.

I couldnt help makign comparisons to the 125i hatch I test drove probably a year ago now when wondering whether to get one. and I would say the 125i with the M suspension was more harsh, hard. perhaps its the purpose built suspension on the 135i vs the M pack option that brings harder suspension on the 125i. the 135i also has the modes of comfort, sport, sport + etc which all play a part I think which the 125i didnt have. getting the 125i I think would definitely be wishing it was a 135i. definitely a very much wolf in sheeps clothing the 135i even more so these days than say the golf gti, golf R and bmw brings a hell of a lot more in the luxury and refinement as well 

Glad you liked the drive Al and it was nice to take yours around the block Too, thanks mate. Completely different feel and punch in comparison but not fair to compare really different strokes and all that. yes you could have easily reduced the braking to half what you allowed with comfort (that's not literal though)  :) I saw 110 on the clock a couple of times too........ even though those streets are signed at ??????  As to the number of other cars in comparison one could buy, start with my buy price of $70k even. Now you know why I'm smiling ALL the time.

Another mode Al forgot to mention is economy  and then the car goes into a default crippled mode where it turns every thing down or off to conserve fuel to the max. You notice the effect immediately when you sparing use the throttle and it doesn't shove the back seat up your Arsoooo..... l  But cleverly they provide a programmable switch that turns eco mode off whenever you hit a pre-selected speed... mine's set at 105, so when traveling along one can see in the speedo area a counter telling you directly how many extra km you've gained in conserving petrol. A trip from Al's down the Monash is likely to save you about 5 ks worth of fuel not bad when you consider you've not slowed down at all still 100kph or there abouts remember it is the Monash! and at 100kph its running at about 4.8 lt/100ks in that mode. But around town and using its "features" I get around 8.2. still pretty good and about 30% less than my 7 series. On a recent trip to Benalla (about 210 ks) up the Hume where speed limit is 110 and cruise control is essential it saved just on 18 km worth of fuel one way without any noticeable losses of performance as you'd expect.

Edited by agelessgoodguy
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
Glad you liked the drive Al and it was nice to take yours around the block Too, thanks mate. Completely different feel and punch in comparison but not fair to compare really different strokes and all that. yes you could have easily reduced the braking to half what you allowed with comfort (that's not literal though   :) I saw 110 on the clock a couple of times too........ even though those streets are signed at ??????

I dont recall ever going over the speed limit, dont recall ever looking at the speedo :D ,

yes yes just a comfortable drive around officer... :lol:

• Like 1

I dont recall ever going over the speed limit, dont recall ever looking at the speedo :D ,

yes yes just a comfortable drive around officer... :lol:

Agreed it was just a blurr the needles moved up so fast then down again it was too hard to focus.......the speedo and tacho I think it was....... but then your head was swinging around a lot too ......  hehe  :)  Then again maybe it was the torque and Kw output gauges doing the ups and downs it is all a blurrrrrrr... :)

Edited by agelessgoodguy
  • Like 1

Around town in comfort mode its giving up around 7.5 lt/100 ks but using sport and sport + modes breaks that a lot, while eco mode does give the lowest fuel usage as expected and that 4.8 comes from that mode which when your on cruise control and a freeway makes sense cos what else can one do while being photographed every few ks?

• 4 weeks later...

Went out to Mallala today where the Porsche club was having a track day.

There were a few other makes there too, including an AMG A45.

Thought you might like to see some pics.

It was friggin' quick too!!!!

post-104640-0-83132000-1391917339_thumb.

post-104640-0-11646700-1391917361_thumb.

post-104640-0-39575900-1391917383_thumb.

post-104640-0-58388000-1391917401_thumb.

post-104640-0-18277300-1391917418_thumb.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I was trailing behind an A250 last week on a 80km/hr stretch of road with start/stop traffic. I just want to see whether my crappy old Corolla could keep up with the new kid on the block. Well I managed in the end but I had to work the Corolla's throttle really really hard. So yes, the new A Class is certainly impressive.  :thumb:

OTOH, I tried the same trick with a C63 AMG on the same road the month before and completely failed. At a blink of an eye it just took off and left me eating dust. Wow, what a car.  :love

Just a curiosity question, what is the factory fitted tyres on the new gen A Class like A250? I am guessing it is Continental, but which tyre model? 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I was trailing behind an A250 last week on a 80km/hr stretch of road with start/stop traffic. I just want to see whether my crappy old Corolla could keep up with the new kid on the block. Well I managed in the end but I had to work the Corolla's throttle really really hard. So yes, the new A Class is certainly impressive.  :thumb:

OTOH, I tried the same trick with a C63 AMG on the same road the month before and completely failed. At a blink of an eye it just took off and left me eating dust. Wow, what a car.  :love

Just a curiosity question, what is the factory fitted tyres on the new gen A Class like A250? I am guessing it is Continental, but which tyre model? 

LHC nice story following the a250 :)

stock tyres on mine are the continental contisport contact 5p 235/40 ZR18, here they are with about 10 kms on the clock :)

file_zpsc216860d.jpg

file_zps78c82b99.jpg

Initially when got the car thinking step up from the michelin ps3's I had on the golf gti for both grip and handling, but did wonder if the michelin supersports would be better for wear ! but yes with 10,000 clicks just come up have found a new respect for them and theyve settled in nicely and would stick with them I think if needed a new set :)

• Like 1
  • Moderators
one year and 10,000 kms on the clock of my red A250... and yes I have found a new respect for the contisport 5ps. I was a bit worried that though they have good grip, handling and comfort, concerned perhaps a bit soft initially and wouldnt last. but they seem to have hung in nicely. so rather than look elsewhere probably replace them with the same when the time comes.

fuel use has settled down nicely typically seeing around 8 L/100 for my driving around town -which is pretty decent. Very pleased with the car as daily run about, long distance cruiser for weekends away on country roads and highways. And love the way can give it a bit of a squirt and appreciate the way it bursts forwards, rips through the gears and confidently hugs the roads and drives around corners. Love the look and feel of the car both inside out. Getting in the car or getting out and walking away, cant help doing so with a smile on the face and a sense of pride in the car. Still wows one year later :)

1st service coming up. will report back how that goes :)

• Like 1

LHC nice story following the a250 :)

stock tyres on mine are the continental contisport contact 5p 235/40 ZR18, here they are with about 10 kms on the clock :)

file_zpsc216860d.jpg

file_zps78c82b99.jpg

Initially when got the car thinking step up from the michelin ps3's I had on the golf gti for both grip and handling, but did wonder if the michelin supersports would be better for wear ! but yes with 10,000 clicks just come up have found a new respect for them and theyve settled in nicely and would stick with them I think if needed a new set :)

Don't leave those parked outside Al

Someone I know is looking for some nice 18" rims like that to put some pilot sport cups on.... :)

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Pretty happy with the first service on the a250. promptly there 1st thing in the morning to drop off. got a courtesy car an a200 so something pretty familiar with. I got a $100 gift card from mercedes this week as well, so put that towards rubber boot mat which is a pretty smart and neat thing. the car was promptly ready on time, service cost me zilch given the corporate program. and walked away with a complimentary AMG hat. got to be pleased :D

ps put my name down for when the next sat nav update comes out for my car apparently every 18 months so probably 6 months from now :)

Al, if I get as good an ownership experience with my new car as you have had in the past 12 months, I'll be a very happy bloke.  It's really just the way it should be, but it often isn't.  Well, here's hoping yours continues in the same vein and mine follows suit. :thumb:

I'm still tracking the MV Aniara, which is now a couple of days west of Freemantle, after which it heads to Melbourne, where my car gets off on 27/3.  Wish I could think of a way to get it to pop into Adelaide instead of sailing past. :mad:

• Moderators

Al, if I get as good an ownership experience with my new car as you have had in the past 12 months, I'll be a very happy bloke.  It's really just the way it should be, but it often isn't.  Well, here's hoping yours continues in the same vein and mine follows suit. :thumb:

I'm still tracking the MV Aniara, which is now a couple of days west of Freemantle, after which it heads to Melbourne, where my car gets off on 27/3.  Wish I could think of a way to get it to pop into Adelaide instead of sailing past. :mad:

thanks Tony, cant wait to see pics of the new 4 series coupe and read how you find it. I've seen the odd one on the road and such a lovely looking car. sits flat and sleek with some lovely lines as a coupe should. I can see why your tracking its every movement on its way to you :D not far away by the sounds either wow ! :)

one year and 10,000 kms on the clock of my red A250... and yes I have found a new respect for the contisport 5ps. I was a bit worried that though they have good grip, handling and comfort, concerned perhaps a bit soft initially and wouldnt last. but they seem to have hung in nicely. so rather than look elsewhere probably replace them with the same when the time comes.

fuel use has settled down nicely typically seeing around 8 L/100 for my driving around town -which is pretty decent. Very pleased with the car as daily run about, long distance cruiser for weekends away on country roads and highways. And love the way can give it a bit of a squirt and appreciate the way it bursts forwards, rips through the gears and confidently hugs the roads and drives around corners. Love the look and feel of the car both inside out. Getting in the car or getting out and walking away, cant help doing so with a smile on the face and a sense of pride in the car. Still wows one year later :)

1st service coming up. will report back how that goes :)

Has it really been a year already?!

• Like 1

Tony, I sidled up to a beautiful blue 435 on the freeway tonight, very attractive from all angles I thought. Good choice

• 4 weeks later...

The front is ok, the arse looks a little droopy for my liking.

Agreed, it almost looks like the early Hyundai Elantra. Nothing wrong with that... if thats what you want from your $60k+ car

• Moderators

very interesting to read about the new mk7 golf R its one I did briefly consider and whether to wait for when was upgradign from my golf gti mk 6. Definitely good thing I didnt wait for the golf R. they seem to have gone real hard edge and pov pack with the thing and pricing wise its silly money where you would have to ask why wouldnt get an audi s3 instead. vw seems to have lost the plot literally. maybe they need to see the kind of car its going up against...even in the vw audi family or if looking else where in a merc in the a45.

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting to read about the new mk7 golf R its one I did briefly consider and whether to wait for when was upgradign from my golf gti mk 6. Definitely good thing I didnt wait for the golf R. they seem to have gone real hard edge and pov pack with the thing and pricing wise its silly money where you would have to ask why wouldnt get an audi s3 instead. vw seems to have lost the plot literally. maybe they need to see the kind of car its going up against...even in the vw audi family or if looking else where in a merc in the a45.

Only review I've partially read said 0-100kph in 5sec dead. That's super quick. What has been left out to make it poverty pack? It's got quite a few extras over the GTi. My wife's gti was optioned with leather and LED light package. It's hardly a poverty pack car despite us not wanting some of the silly options.