Mercedes A Class

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple of goes in sport mode where can go pretty nuts and this thing sure has some ! while the eco mode on other hand is great for just driving along and the start stop on the engine just doing its thing seamlessly. driving in the hills found the panaromic roof adds a nice airy feel and overall the cabin a nice place to spend some hours in :)

Good stuff Al. Is the eco mode enough for climbing up hills, or do you feel you need to manually downshift to 3? It is probably much better than the A180 or A200 in climbing and overtaking.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few external shots,         the grill is an absolute thing of beauty and love the big propeller up the front  

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple o

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc... As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typica

There's a review of the CLA250 Sport in the Singapore papers and the reviewer commented the 7 speed DSG is a bit less responsive in downshifts during exuberant driving. Isn't there an S mode in the transmission like with the VW?

• Moderators
Good stuff Al. Is the eco mode enough for climbing up hills, or do you feel you need to manually downshift to 3? It is probably much better than the A180 or A200 in climbing and overtaking.

thanks lhc, no troubles with eco and hills, it happily gobbled them up without flurry :) the a180 with 1.6L and A200 with 1.8L might need a kick along though I suspect :)

There's a review of the CLA250 Sport in the Singapore papers and the reviewer commented the 7 speed DSG is a bit less responsive in downshifts during exuberant driving. Isn't there an S mode in the transmission like with the VW?

yes there is a S mode that goes like the clappers :D but no grumbles from me on the eco mode on the merc

awesome 1st drive review of the CLA250 in the local press here,

http://media.theage.drive.com.au/cars/car-reviews/first-drive-mercedesbenz-cla-250-4144821.html

As I expected, the Singapore reviewer is an idiotic reviewer/driver who's not even aware of what the car is capable of and is probably on the trip for a paid junket holiday.

Edited by DoggieHowser

• Moderators
I saw Al's baby Merc today.

What a thing of beauty it is.

Love it Al!

thanks mr hp, very much enjoyed the drive over to your place  :)

• Moderators

never look at US pricing ! keep in mind the bmw 135i is a $36k prospect in the US , a golf R sells for $33k same as an audi quatro as well over there ! *blink* but then they get paid a lot less, food is cheaper, houses are cheaper get less annual leave yada yada yada...

Edited by :) al

• Moderators

Gorgeous car. 

How is the handling? That was always the let down with the C63 - glorious sound and oodles of power, but I went with a 335i instead, because the C63 didn't turn or brake particularly well. 

I'd imagine this has been sorted out with the little A class, but would love to know your thoughts. 

At least I'll have something other than WRXs and Golfs trying to burn me off at the lights now! :)  

• Like 2
Guest JohnA
Gorgeous car. 

How is the handling? That was always the let down with the C63 - glorious sound and oodles of power, but I went with a 335i instead, because the C63 didn't turn or brake particularly well. 

I'd imagine this has been sorted out with the little A class, but would love to know your thoughts. 

At least I'll have something other than WRXs and Golfs trying to burn me off at the lights now! :)

he he

like a golf has a hope in hell  :)

dont think the a250 will have much hope either

a wrx on the other hand but only if they dont botch up the launch

talking of wrx seen the new concept, it may even tempt me back to one finally, as long as they also fix up the nasty interior

• Moderators

PDK with launch control. The chipped 335i with a few other minor mods was an absolute beast, but did have traction issues except when on a very good surface. 

This doesn't. But anyway... this is an A Class thread. 

post-109110-0-03891900-1365026744_thumb.

post-109110-0-25658200-1365026875_thumb.

• Like 1
Guest JohnA
PDK with launch control. The chipped 335i with a few other minor mods was an absolute beast, but did have traction issues except when on a very good surface. 

This doesn't. But anyway... this is an A Class thread. 

he he

would be fun to see a WRX try, even an sti with a few mods would struggle

but then again, its not all about 0-100 is it  :)

I know which i'd rather be driving every day

very nice mate :thumb:

• Moderators

It's not about 0-100, but that A Class is smoking hot in that respect. 

Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh. 

SNA cruise GTG

lets do it boys

we have a fair few car enthusiasts here

Where & when are you thinking John?

I might even wash the windows & vaccuum the carpets! ;)

Edited by mr-happy-pants
never look at US pricing ! keep in mind the bmw 135i is a $36k prospect in the US , a golf R sells for $33k same as an audi quatro as well over there ! *blink* but then they get paid a lot less, food is cheaper, houses are cheaper get less annual leave yada yada yada...

I dunno. The quality of life for my colleagues in Long Island, Chicago, Fort Collins etc all seem decent :)

I just don't see why we can easily accept such mark ups for cars. FWIW I don't think Apple products are that high. The prices quoted on Apple's US websites tend are w/o the state sales tax and once you add that up, it is close to the Australian price with the 10% GST.

The Porsches are the worst. A fully loaded Boxster S in a Motortrend review was 80k (and the reviewer was complaining how expensive it was). A similarly configured Boxster S here is 230k. Ouch.

• Moderators

wow this little threads taken off hehe ! 

I dunno. The quality of life for my colleagues in Long Island, Chicago, Fort Collins etc all seem decent :)

I just don't see why we can easily accept such mark ups for cars. FWIW I don't think Apple products are that high. The prices quoted on Apple's US websites tend are w/o the state sales tax and once you add that up, it is close to the Australian price with the 10% GST.

The Porsches are the worst. A fully loaded Boxster S in a Motortrend review was 80k (and the reviewer was complaining how expensive it was). A similarly configured Boxster S here is 230k. Ouch.

not case of easily accepting doggie, more a case of not much can do about it either not buy or buy and pay the price. I know I was appalled in the 90s heading across to canada walking in the motor show at montreal and seeing the sticker prices of cars half what we pay here ! but yeah work colleague over there told me how no one can afford a house as such there best can look to own and pay off is a condo...not like kind of houses we live in here. and we are not as bad off as say penang for instance. aussie over on a german car forum posted how he saw the sticker price of an a250 there...82k aussie equivalent they pay ! compared to our 50 something ! 

I worked for one of the local car makers and one thing I soon worked out is they sell a car here for whatever people will pay for them.. anyways topic for another discussion overall for your money and what you get am pretty wrapped with the a250 :)

Gorgeous car. 

have never driven a c63 al to say, I saw the top gear review where it was a c63 black I think and the thing was probably way scarier a car than I could ever handle ! way out of my league so cant compare with something like that. can just talk of the a250 vs say the golf gti. and can easily say its a step up from the golf gti. amg's work  has been brilliant I think. It is actually more compliant and comfortable than the golf and yet it feels very sure footed and composed in driving. it stays down squat and flat in its ride and just seems to hug the road. Its a step ahead of the golf in traction and putting power to the road as well. where the golf was pretty easy to loose traction on the front wheels on take off, axle tramp and have traction control swing in heavily with clamping discs etc. with the merc it is quicker and yet more composed with none of that kind of thing going on. well I havent found its limits anyways but fair to say only had the car a week and not the kind to be driving it around like its on a track or something :) part of the reason might be contisport 5P the a250 runs I understand equivalent to the michelin super sports so probably a step up from the mich ps3 I had on the golf prior. excellent tyres the conti's I'll happily replace with a set of same down the track if need be.

Edited by :) al
Guest JohnA
Where & when are you thinking John?

I might even wash the windows & vaccuum the carpets! ;)

i dont really care mate, just head up to some nice twisties, obey the road rules, no stupidity or racing...enjoy the day, stop for some lunch do a photoshoot then head back home

open to suggestions, but there are the usual, dandenongs, spur, kinglake....

• Moderators

yep definitely some lovely stretches of road as head away from melbourne. love heading to the dandenongs but it can get a touch busy on weekends  :)

Guest JohnA

theres a nice winery in healsville called innocent bystander that i like to go to every now and again for lunch...

great roads getting there also

No chance for a WRX either I don't think... no longer driving the 335. ;)

Not all WRX's are standard either :P . My old bugeye hatch looked stock but had chip/CAI/turbo back exhaust and race fuel pump. Good for around 190kw at the wheels. Burn a little bit of clutch on take off in the dry and whoa. In the wet I'd just dump it, but not regularly. Used to love toying with M3's :lol: . The only car that ever made it look slow was a SL63 from a rolling start on the Flemington Rd City Link on ramp :wacko:

I'd love a Euro family wagon now but the buggers wouldn't tow a wet blanket... Had a deposit on a Passat Alltrack but it couldn't tow a pop up camper van :angry:. Now have a Territory Titanium Tdi.

Edited by blybo
Guest JohnA
Not all WRX's are standard either :P . My old bugeye hatch looked stock but had chip/CAI/turbo back exhaust and race fuel pump. Good for around 190kw at the wheels. Burn a little bit of clutch on take off in the dry and whoa. In the wet I'd just dump it, but not regularly. Used to love toying with M3's :lol: . The only car that ever made it look slow was a SL63 from a rolling start on the Flemington Rd City Link on ramp :wacko:

I'd love a Euro family wagon now but the buggers wouldn't tow a wet blanket... Had a deposit on a Passat Alltrack but it couldn't tow a pop up camper van :angry:. Now have a Territory Titanium Tdi.

he he

funny you mention this

i recall in my 03 also modified, ecu, full exhaust, cai, water spray kit, bigger fuel pump, etc, and the same thing on doncaster rd...a 63 made me look like i was standing still from a rolling start

still i doubt i would have had much chance against a 911 4s either, as you say, we needed to punish these things to get them off the line, though with the mods and the higher torque curve, it wasnt as bad...still there was always the fear of leaving the gear box behind  :)

i am on the lookout for a 2 door sti as a toy car to just turn into something crazy

i dont really care mate, just head up to some nice twisties, obey the road rules, no stupidity or racing...enjoy the day, stop for some lunch do a photoshoot then head back home

open to suggestions, but there are the usual, dandenongs, spur, kinglake....

I'd rule out Kinglake these days. I swopped fast cars for fast bicycles and there are way too many cyclists on the kinglake climb these days. If you'd like I'll try and find some of my old WRX club cruise maps...

he he

funny you mention this

i recall in my 03 also modified, ecu, full exhaust, cai, water spray kit, bigger fuel pump, etc, and the same thing on doncaster rd...a 63 made me look like i was standing still from a rolling start

still i doubt i would have had much chance against a 911 4s either, as you say, we needed to punish these things to get them off the line, though with the mods and the higher torque curve, it wasnt as bad...still there was always the fear of leaving the gear box behind  :)

i am on the lookout for a 2 door sti as a toy car to just turn into something crazy

Thing is though that at least the owners of AMG's seem to really drive em. Most 911's pootle around Toorak and never get rev'd over 4k... Look at me, look at me.

WRX club forum is where we first met online JohnA

Edited by blybo
Guest JohnA
I'd rule out Kinglake these days. I swopped fast cars for fast bicycles and there are way too many cyclists on the kinglake climb these days. If you'd like I'll try and find some of my old WRX club cruise maps...

man, i knew the name looked familiar....

i was one of the trouble makers over on the wrx club many years ago (Angel)

A WRX or any hot hatch would have leave a C63 in the dust on the twisties. No point being able to drag off the line fast if you can't keep up in the corners.

Hehe, then we bumped into each other at bicycle network australia forums and DTV too. Small world.

A WRX or any hot hatch would have leave a C63 in the dust on the twisties. No point being able to drag off the line fast if you can't keep up in the corners.

Also what used to happen with M3's. They are awesome cars but needed more talent and balls to drive quick in the twisties than a Rex. Would still go a WRX over a GTi if they would improve the interior a bit.

Must have a look at this A class though. Wife's car lease is up later this year and I'll be glad to be rid of the Liberty CVT, what a way to wreck a lovely car... Met SWMBO at a WRX club driver training day out at Calder :cool:

Edited by blybo
  • Moderators

I loved my WRX. Mine was a 1997 model (back in the late 90s) and it was planted well enough to keep a young idiot like me alive. But I very much doubt I could keep up with a modern M3 on most roads, having driven an M3 on a track recently they are awesome cars.