Mercedes A Class

49k includes as standard panoramic roof, bixenon, reverse camera and a bunch of other stuff that isn't standard on the GTI.

GTI + Leather and Sunroof and a few other options it gets very similar in terms of price....interesting

For me it'll come down to ergonimics, there is a 1ft difference in height between the Mrs and I - to date the golf has been the only car able to manage this well

In saving that, $50k is SS wagon territory..... :D

Oh, and I really like the styling of the current Volvo's - no idea what they're like to drive etc, but I rate them, especially the sporty wagon thing they sell

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few external shots,         the grill is an absolute thing of beauty and love the big propeller up the front  

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple o

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc... As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typica

In saving that, $50k is SS wagon territory..... :D

mate not long ago when they had the employee pricing, an SS-V was $45 drive away... was very tempted, that was till i sat in one..Sure they go like a bat out of hell in a straight line, with lots of torque, but thats where it all stopped for me...

• Moderators

mate not long ago when they had the employee pricing, an SS-V was $45 drive away... was very tempted, that was till i sat in one..Sure they go like a bat out of hell in a straight line, with lots of torque, but thats where it all stopped for me...

they do great drive away pricing, but unfortunately you also pay the price on resale which on falcons and commodores is cr@p which is a real worry on leasing. defintiely good straight line stuff but otherwise in these large cars to me it feels like being in a boat ! :D no offense to large car or boat owners ! but main reason am a fan of small cars hehe

Edited by :) al

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1356313549' post='816664]

they do great drive away pricing, but unfortunately you also pay the price on resale which on falcons and commodores is cr@p which is a real worry on leasing. defintiely good straight line stuff but otherwise in these large cars to me it feels like being in a boat ! :D no offense to large car or boat owners ! but main reason am a fan of small cars hehe

they have come a long way, i must admit, but i just didnt like it..

Shame - never driven one, but they sound hot....the R36 is pretty good, but obviously quite a lot more cash

We only need a large car when we go away and even then no car is large enough......going to need something to tow a small trailer in a few years time

• Moderators

Shame - never driven one, but they sound hot....the R36 is pretty good, but obviously quite a lot more cash

We only need a large car when we go away and even then no car is large enough......going to need something to tow a small trailer in a few years time

still check the wagons if catches your interest. never know might just be your thing. they are quite popular, couple of guys at work have them. they seem to be seen as a more family friendly version of the trade ute/dual cab ! plenty of load space when put the back seats down. solid reliable :)

vw used to make a hot R wagon at one stage, think it was a passat wagon if they still had that would be on my radar :)

yep, think if i just wanted a big car and to tow a trailor, the sportwagen would be the goer, but i wouldnt even bother with the SS, the SV6 would be plenty

• Moderators

http://www.news.com.au/news/entry-level-mercedes-a-class-act/story-fnejnq7a-1226498478378

interesting comparison in the local press there vs the basic fleet priced commodore !

what I find interesting is comments re services. where merc is having a 25k or 1year service interval for the A class, holden has servicing every 9 months or 15k for the commodore. this is probably going to appeal to fleet buyers especially since merc as part of their corporate program also provide free servicing over the warranty. Another aspect that appeals to me as no servicing cost to budget in for a merc :)

• Moderators

Just buy a new GTi

nah would just keep my mk6 if came to that, dont really see anything revolutionary about the mk7 gti either to be honest. infact to the point not really taken by the styling even inside or out. like audi I get the feeling theyre getting a bit on the bland side in their styling. also my lease finishes march next year so that restricts me to whats available then.

one other option has been the alfa guilietta, which is actually a lovely car must say, even with the standard 1.4 twin air engine and with the QV pack. not as quick as the golf or handles as well but a nice car with a lot more soul and spirit. depreciation is a killer though with alfas, and the guilietta is due for replacement in the next year so anythign I buy there will take a big hit when gets superceded.

• Moderators

In case A class hatchbacks arent your thing, merc also has the sedan version of the A class in the CLA :)

mercedes-cla-801.jpg

mercedes-cla-8.jpg

mercedes-cla-80.jpg

mercedes-cla-801111.jpg

mercedes-cla-80111.jpg

there is a CLA coupe too, but only concept photos around of that at this stage :)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Got to see the Aussie a250 today, and there are reviews in local press today as well. This thing is going to be a big hit here I feel :)

• Moderators

will be interesting once there are a few on the roads how reliability will go.

I really need to see one in the flesh, because from all the pics, its just not doing it for me

I definitely got to see it in the flesh - still not liking the side profile from the pics.

• Moderators
I definitely got to see it in the flesh - still not liking the side profile from the pics.

theyre in the dealers under wraps if want to see.

and its a direct hit for me :) quite a step up from the golf gti from what can see,

my pre order is still contingent on a test drive though and looking forward to that in a couple of weeks :)

internally the exclusive pack at $2,500 is really nice too over the standard interior, but wife has said no to leather this time around so standard two tone interior with micro fibre is for me :)

Apart from the looks, I think Merc have got a winner here. It has definitely put a cat amongst the pigeons. Looks like VW will have to lower their prices dramatically to compete. The GTI has gotten soft since the MkV. If A250 is anything like the MkV was, it'll eat into the GTI's market share.

• Moderators

full age drive review here including the video review,

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/first-drive-mercedesbenz-a250-20130208-2e20v.html

as to looks I reckon it looks excellent, but looks as always agree will be subjective some will like others wont. simple as that.

as to market share so far a250 is a sell out success for merc, options from the other makers eg audi, bmw, vw dont really grab my interest the way this does, the mk7 gti too just doesnt seem to have it maybe it does but not something am waiting for :)

Lexus and I think two words toyota & yuck.

Haven't driven one, I see. You should. I've tried the IS200, IS300 and IS250. The IS350 should be a ball-tearer and the ISF, an M3 beater (or least come damned close).

The IS250 is a superb automobile. Quick, quiet, refined and utterly reliable (which you can't say about any of the German stuff). I am looking forward to a poke around in an IS350. I fear an ISF may never be something I will experience.

Fundamentally, though, you miss my point. The A250 may well be a very nice car. It is STILL only a front wheel drive. An expensive FWD at that. You need to look to a competent RWD (or AWD) for real driving pleasure. That leaves Lexus, BMW (the 1 series - puke) and Audi, in the size class. I'd plonk my money down on the Lexus any day. The others are simply far too unreliable. I suggest you take one for a spin. Any real driver will instantly fall in love.

FWIW: The last Merc I took for a spin was an SL500 (not counting a mate's C200). Nice car, useful amount of power, but boring and very expensive. A real head-turner though. If I wanted to pose, rather than enjoy a really good drive, the Merc would be at the top of the list (if I could afford it).

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

I have driven and been a passenger on the Lexus IS.

The car is incredibly small on the inside and I found that I kept hitting my knees against the glove box and the centre console when I was in the passenger seat. And this was with the seat quite far back. This was when the (current gen) car first launched. Not sure if they ever fixed that.

On the driver's side, the one thing I had trouble overcoming was how they used the same shiny (read: cheap) plastic control stalks off a Corolla/Vios. 

The engine was silky smooth but generally uninvolving to drive. The IS-F on the other hand was more of a handful and a bit more of a driver's car. But that's not something in the same price range

• Moderators

I have driven an is250 and the is200 prior. the larger cars are bit too much of granpa mobiles. for whatever reason their cars just dont interest me.

am after a 5 door hot hatch in anycase and the only lexus fits that comes remotely close is a ct200h which surely only its mother can love ! 

have no issue with FWD or spending the equivalent of what I spent on my mk6 gti to get something like a merc a250.

zap I'm sure you love lexus but I have zero interest in anything they have sorry.

I have driven an is250 and the is200 prior. the larger cars are bit too much of granpa mobiles. for whatever reason their cars just dont interest me.

am after a 5 door hot hatch in anycase and the only lexus fits that comes remotely close is a ct200h which surely only its mother can love ! 

have no issue with FWD or spending the equivalent of what I spent on my mk6 gti to get something like a merc a250.

zap I'm sure you love lexus but I have zero interest in anything they have sorry.

Fairy 'nuff. As long as you had a drive of one, then I have no issues (though why you think an IS250 is a grandpa mobile is beyond me - maybe try an IS350 - which I have yet to try). I just don't understand the attraction of small Mercs (particularly the old A Class jobbies). Many models are not built in Germany and all suffer serious reliability problems compared to Lexus. The serious Mercs (C63, SL500, SL63, et al) are a different matter entirely. I could live with the unreliability, the massive service and spare parts costs. Particularly with the C63.

I have driven and been a passenger on the Lexus IS.

The car is incredibly small on the inside and I found that I kept hitting my knees against the glove box and the centre console when I was in the passenger seat. And this was with the seat quite far back. This was when the (current gen) car first launched. Not sure if they ever fixed that.

On the driver's side, the one thing I had trouble overcoming was how they used the same shiny (read: cheap) plastic control stalks off a Corolla/Vios. 

The engine was silky smooth but generally uninvolving to drive. The IS-F on the other hand was more of a handful and a bit more of a driver's car. But that's not something in the same price range

Yes I agree. A friend had one and I sat shotgun. I'm only 5 foot 8/slim build and I found it very cramped in the front passenger seat - which surprised me since the car doesn't look small from the outside. 

ZB,

The engine is same as the one in the Camry so the car is going to be very boring to drive. The Lax-arse L250 is basically a Camry in a different shell. i.e. white goods on wheels. If that floats one's boat then good otherwise there are cars out there that are more fun to drive on a day to day basis.

While there are reliability problems with the VWs, Audis (basically a VW) and BMWs. Mercs are generally quite reliable. 

Most people keep their cars only for 3 years these days, as long as you get rid of the car after the warranty period has run out or extend it a further 3 years. Owning a German car isn't that expensive. 

Our 3.5 yr old GTI has been very reliable so far (knock on wood).

I know I'll probably won't purchase another Japanese car over a German one if I can help it. If I do, it will only be as a cheap used runabout. i,e, Jazz, Swift, etc.

Having said that, the newer German cars are becoming too refined and dumbed down with electronic steering, electronic parking brake.

So they might ended up being like the Japanese cars - whitegoods on wheels. 

Edited by triode12
Yes I agree. A friend had one and I sat shotgun. I'm only 5 foot 8/slim build and I found it very cramped in the front passenger seat - which surprised me since the car doesn't look small from the outside. 

ZB,

The engine is same as the one in the Camry so the car is going to be very boring to drive. The Lax-arse L250 is basically a Camry in a different shell. i.e. white goods on wheels. If that floats one's boat then good otherwise there are cars out there that are more fun to drive on a day to day basis.

While there are reliability problems with the VWs, Audis (basically a VW) and BMWs. Mercs are generally quite reliable. 

Most people keep their cars only for 3 years these days, as long as you get rid of the car after the warranty period has run out or extend it a further 3 years. Owning a German car isn't that expensive. 

I know I'll probably won't purchase another Japanese car over a German one if I can help it. If I do, it will only be as a cheap used runabout. i,e, Jazz, Swift, etc.

Having said that, the newer German cars are becoming too refined and dumbed down with electronic steering, electronic parking brake.

The Camry and the IS250 are the same?

First I heard about it. Let us review:

Camry - Front wheel drive, 4 cylinder, 2.4 Litre, 135kW.

Lexus - REAR wheel drive, 6 Cylinder, 2.5 Litre, 153kW.

Sorry. I fail to see even a remote connection between the two cars. Toyota don't build any RWD cars (apart from the Subaru/Toyota 86). Is lexus boring, because it does everthing with absolute competence? Quite possibly. It sure is boringly reliable.

Cramped? Sure. Small RWD cars will always be cramped compared to FWD. That's life. FWD is about convenience. RWD is about something else. As soon as Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus and the others release a FWD car, I'll get interested. Until then, I'll stand by the comments made by the head of AMG:

"Front-drive cars are for children."  -  Friedrich Eichlers AMG

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox
  • Moderators
Fairy 'nuff. As long as you had a drive of one, then I have no issues (though why you think an IS250 is a grandpa mobile is beyond me - maybe try an IS350 - which I have yet to try). I just don't understand the attraction of small Mercs (particularly the old A Class jobbies). Many models are not built in Germany and all suffer serious reliability problems compared to Lexus. The serious Mercs (C63, SL500, SL63, et al) are a different matter entirely. I could live with the unreliability, the massive service and spare parts costs. Particularly with the C63.

it was the larger lexus I was saying are granpa mobiles. just like you like a lexus and you dont like the merc a250  perhaps you can appreciate I like the merc a250 and dont like anything lexus has. and please dont try indicate a lexus is reliable either. sister in law had one up until recently, dealer serviced out of warranty engine started blowing smoke and with a $13k cost to fix. sold it at a pittance on a trade in on a honda crv and very happy. and by the way when she was demoing options she sat in a toyota kluger and much to her horror realised just how much her lexus was actually a kluger ! 

please enough with the pushing of the lexus down my gullet, please lets move on.

the merc a250 is built in germany. re the merc a class jobbies perhaps some potion from your own medicine cabinet and check one if want to try understand it. re servicing costs I would be getting mine on a lease through work and we get free servicing for life of the lease on a merc so a non issue for me.

• Moderators

ZB,

unfortunately in all my search I've found the japanese makers have really lost the plot. hot hatch ? which one ? there aint any can think off in golf gti territory. game over as the merc a250 review says.

• Moderators

another local review !

some interesting comments in comparisons,

If the choice was between an A 250 Sport or a Golf GTI with a sunroof, sat-nav, bi-xenon headlamps, metallic paint and a reversing camera ($50,490 all up), we’d pick the former.

The $47,140 Renault Megane RS 265 Trophy is perhaps the best hot-hatch around, but to be honest we’d probably still shell out the extra for the A 250. Two more doors and a Benz badge on the front is well worth it, even though the Megane has 30kW more power

cant believe how many reviews we had all of a sudden from the local press on the a250 :)

and another couple of local aussie a250 reviews hehe

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/2A778D0F93A1B7AECA257B0A00220268

http://www.caradvice.com.au/212477/mercedes-benz-a250-sport-review/

• Moderators

info on local launch of a45, due late 2013, 

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/55938/mercedes-benz-a45-amg-unveiled-australian-debut-set-for-late-2013

265kw and 450Nm to do 0-100 4.6 sec, and 6.9L/100km

as that review says,

"So, depending on how you measure it, the A 45 AMG could prove to be one of the most mental hot hatches ever to roll out of a factory and onto a public road. Legally."

price ~$80k or $30k up from the a250 this article says,

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/mercedesbenz-reveals-hot-new-a45-amg-hatchback-20130213-2ebsj.html

I like my GTi, but i will say this. Fun to drive isnt much use when im stuck on the side of the road and need to get to work.

Why cant they make a blend of Japanese reliability and fun to drive? Maybe the SSS Pulsar will be the saviour

Dont think i could drive the A class

friend - oh is that a merc?

me - yep, A class

Friend - oh the hair dresser model?

me - no its really cool, its got all this power and handles really well, honest!

friend - riiiiight

They have to build up the reputation again, shouldnt have called it the A class, too many bad memories

• Like 1

$80k is a lot of bananas for such a small car. Is it still FWD, couldn't see mention of AWD in the article.

Edited by mondie
  • Moderators
$80k is a lot of bananas for such a small car. Is it still FWD, couldn't see mention of AWD in the article.

AWD

" Sent to the 4Matic all-wheel-drive system through AMG's seven-speed SpeedShift dual-clutch transmission, Mercedes says that all that mumbo will shove the A 45 to 100km/h in just 4.6 seconds."

from the article

Sent to the 4Matic all-wheel-drive system through AMG's seven-speed SpeedShift dual-clutch transmission, Mercedes says that all that mumbo will shove the A 45 to 100km/h in just 4.6 seconds.