Mercedes A Class

No rain for me, just a few drops to make it damp only

We drove the E400 for a couple of laps, testing emergency braking from 110-120, with or without holding wheel. Seemed a nice rig, 3ltr v6 turbo. Then a lap in the S class, with demonstration of automated steering as well as the other tech. Cameras everywhere and rather a nice place to be.

We drove a GL 350 on the 4wd course, up and down a 52 degree greasy hill, using low range and hill descent. I used to have hill descent on my ML300, but never used it. Highest thing I ever climbed was doing u-turns over median kerbs - something I find I cannot attempt in the A45!

Also had a go in an Actros 2660 semi rig, easy as a bus to drive around the carpark. Full on tech too, same as the cars. Would help the driver easily avoid tipping around cars on the Tulla ...

Got track time in the CLA45 and then A45 back to back. The CLA felt similar but maybe a little more solid, very good. The A45 (with aero) certainly fit like a glove and I was allowed to give it the full manual treatment.

Then to finish the track part, all 3 in the group got strapped in 4 point harnesses into the C63 for a couple of hot laps. It felt fast, sounded great, yet we were only doing 200-210 at the end of the straights. Slower top speed than the A45 (210) but he had 3 passengers!

My colleagues all voted at the end the car they liked best was the A45

Left to go back to work just before 1 and it bucketed down. The 2nd group will have been pissed or at least pissed on. Tracking the A45 would have been even more fun!

Great day - about 20 pro MB instructors, many with race titles so with 3 per instructor, there must have been 60 of us punters. Extremely well organised and run. Highly recommended

Edited by norpus
  • Like 1
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few external shots,         the grill is an absolute thing of beauty and love the big propeller up the front  

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple o

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc... As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typica

ageless, I just yesterday got an invite to Phillip Island to test out the new M3 , M235i AND 428i coupes. Did you get one as a new and repeat owner?

My invite was from BMW towards Melbourne Rebels Platinum members and got us a discount from $1395 to $1000.... ouch

As the MB driveday above was free, I passed on the BM opportunity (not that I would not love to have a blat in the first two)

Edited by norpus
  • 3 weeks later...

My mate at work just got his optioned up A250 ,the colour is a purple pearl over black . Loves his new car ,see how long his points last :) . Another guy at work also got his new E200 coupe nice car another one a run out model C class ,what is it with these Merc's :) .

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Moderators

My mate at work just got his optioned up A250 ,the colour is a purple pearl over black . Loves his new car ,see how long his points last :) . Another guy at work also got his new E200 coupe nice car another one a run out model C class ,what is it with these Merc's :) .

Cheers

hehe that purple pearl over black is an interesting colour. for all respects it looks like a black and get close and wow its a purple !  got an email from my local merc dealer, definitely eofy deals theyre doing pretty tasty :) 

• Like 1

hehe that purple pearl over black is an interesting colour. for all respects it looks like a black and get close and wow its a purple !  got an email from my local merc dealer, definitely eofy deals theyre doing pretty tasty :)

My lease runs out next year , so a E63 could be the go .

More like a Suzuki Alto

:-)

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Easy come easy go !

Said good bye to my merc a250 :(

Listed it forsale last night sold this morning !

Got a call from nick theodosi snr the car dealer. He wanted the car told me it's sold to bring it down to the dealership. Drove it over signed it over, he called me a taxi and gave me a cab charge to get back to work.

Like the mans style ! :D

Anyways best car have ever owned ! Going to miss it !

• Moderators

Whats the upgrade Al?

oh no upgrade R&R, I'll mostly be on the bike, we'll be dropping back to the one car in the mazda 3 sp25 we bought earlier this year.

and the sp25 is quite a nice car, so be quite happy to drive it now and then when I do :)

The SP25 reviewed quite well in the Motor magazine BFYB. I could be very happy with one of them as well

I hope you got what you want for the A class on trade in, im assuming they hold their value pretty well

• Moderators

The SP25 reviewed quite well in the Motor magazine BFYB. I could be very happy with one of them as well

I hope you got what you want for the A class on trade in, im assuming they hold their value pretty well

the sp25 is excellent bang for buck ! 

yes quite chuffed with what I got for the a250, i've got a feelling perhaps there is still a bit of a shortage I dont know, but really suprised how quickly it went ! 

I posted a small little comparison between the A250 and sp25, putting branding aside...

absolutely loved the car Tony. yes thought about carefully and was turning into a bit of a luxury to have there if not using. gorgeous car though, best car have ever owned. but coming down to economics just hard to justify.

how does it compare to the mazda ? externally in styling and road presence the mazda as nicely designed it is just doesnt have a chance. getting into the car the merc interior is really quite at another level as well. start the car and the mercs funky exhaust burble gives its true intent, not something the mazda even had a hint off. the merc comes fully loaded with all mod cons, its hk stereo with sub, large sun roof, ipod/iphone integration. digital radio. its a nice space to ride in. on the road the mercs dual clutch out guns the mazda slush box in way the A250 changes gears ripping through them and getting off the line quicker than the bigger engined more thirsty mazda. handling the merc stays flat and more planted on the road vs the more upright and touch more roll on the mazda. the start stop system on the merc is better implemented and its selectable modes of Sport, Eco and manual mazda has nothing like it in comparison

so whats the mazda got going for it...price. its about $25k cheaper ! styling wise it got quite neat clean lines both inside and out less fussy in the interior / exterior. while no comparison to the merc its still quite stylish.. the sat nav is easier to use. the stereo is ok with decent iphone integration. miss the digital radio of the merc though. the mazda skyactiv engine has a nice rorty note if pushed...otherwise can trundle around would never know its sporty intent. its got plenty of get up and go, sure not as quick as the merc or handle as well but its decent. The fuel economy with its start stop system while doesnt mathc the mercs is also decent and handy. some good plusses...the bigger boot, better visibility all around and its more family car interior. plus theres the tow bar that would have cost twice as much on the merc. 

way I'd compare them Tony is the merc is a lot of fun with a lot of pizzaz in what can be a family car. but you pay for it. the mazda is still a lovely car, that makes for a great family car ... with some sporty overtones for those looking something a bit more than a family car.

oh no upgrade R&R, I'll mostly be on the bike, we'll be dropping back to the one car in the mazda 3 sp25 we bought earlier this year.

and the sp25 is quite a nice car, so be quite happy to drive it now and then when I do :)

So the funds will go to hifi and photo equipment, I assume :)
  • Like 1

• Moderators

So the funds will go to hifi and photo equipment, I assume :)

hehe no chance ! we kicked off some renovations so that where most funds will be going for a while I'm sure :(

Wow Al, wasn't expecting this.

Although your track record suggests you are one to change out the latest gear early to minimise depreciation. Clearly with demand outstripping supply this was good timing for you

I still love my A class and have plans to keep it for a while longer - having too much fun to consider parting. Ymmv of course and priorities change on circumstances

Yeah, I'm loving my little BMW 428i and it's genuinely a case of any excuse for a drive.  But I could still live without it if I could use the cash better elsewhere.  A combination of age and unrealistic traffic and speed limit restrictions means that having a "better" car is less of a priority than it once was.  Of course, if you track your car on a reasonably frequent basis like you do Norpus, you get to reap the full benefits of having something like the A45.  For most of us, it'd just be a license hazard. I must drive a 435 or equivalent Merc sometime, but I remain in awe of the "effortless" feeling of accelerating in the 428i and I don't recall the 535i as being noticeably better in that regard, at least at legal speeds.  I think the M-sport exhaust helps with that, too.

But the slightly more basic cars are just getting so very good these days, with a lot of the high tech filtering down at an increasingly rapid rate.  Which is why I was particularly interested in Al's MB/Mazda comparo in real world, day to day driving. :)

That's true Tony

So long as we enjoy what we are getting out of our cars and $, that is the main thing to reduce the drudge of the day/commute

• Moderators

Wow Al, wasn't expecting this.

Although your track record suggests you are one to change out the latest gear early to minimise depreciation. Clearly with demand outstripping supply this was good timing for you

I still love my A class and have plans to keep it for a while longer - having too much fun to consider parting. Ymmv of course and priorities change on circumstances

hi norp, thought before end of the year is best, there is an updated model around the corner, but it just adds key less start and a price hike. just a timing thing and yeah change of priorities. I cant imagine you changing out the a45 anytime soon, the awesome car it is ! :)

• Moderators

Yeah, I'm loving my little BMW 428i and it's genuinely a case of any excuse for a drive.  But I could still live without it if I could use the cash better elsewhere.  A combination of age and unrealistic traffic and speed limit restrictions means that having a "better" car is less of a priority than it once was.  Of course, if you track your car on a reasonably frequent basis like you do Norpus, you get to reap the full benefits of having something like the A45.  For most of us, it'd just be a license hazard. I must drive a 435 or equivalent Merc sometime, but I remain in awe of the "effortless" feeling of accelerating in the 428i and I don't recall the 535i as being noticeably better in that regard, at least at legal speeds.  I think the M-sport exhaust helps with that, too.

But the slightly more basic cars are just getting so very good these days, with a lot of the high tech filtering down at an increasingly rapid rate.  Which is why I was particularly interested in Al's MB/Mazda comparo in real world, day to day driving. :)

tony while at nick theodosi I saw what I thought was a 4 series coupe, walked up and noticed it was an m6 coupe...wow... what a machine. I instantly thought of you :)

http://vehicles.nicktheodossi.com.au/view.php/bmw/2012_BMW_M6_F13M_M-DCT_Alpine_White_7_Speed_Auto_Sportshift_Coupe/8546741/

ps nick didnt waste anytime getting my car up on their website 

http://vehicles.nicktheodossi.com.au/view.php/mercedesbenz/2013_Mercedes-Benz_A250_W176_Sport_D-CT_Red_7_Speed_Auto_Sportshift_Hatchback/8741265/

oh damn I miss it, looking at those pics...but such is life...

• Moderators

That's true Tony

So long as we enjoy what we are getting out of our cars and $, that is the main thing to reduce the drudge of the day/commute

definitely. all can think of is thankgoodness we got the sp25 model when updating our mazda ! leaves some fun factor remaining :)

tony while at nick theodosi I saw what I thought was a 4 series coupe, walked up and noticed it was an m6 coupe...wow... what a machine. I instantly thought of you :)

http://vehicles.nicktheodossi.com.au/view.php/bmw/2012_BMW_M6_F13M_M-DCT_Alpine_White_7_Speed_Auto_Sportshift_Coupe/8546741/

ps nick didnt waste anytime getting my car up on their website 

http://vehicles.nicktheodossi.com.au/view.php/mercedesbenz/2013_Mercedes-Benz_A250_W176_Sport_D-CT_Red_7_Speed_Auto_Sportshift_Hatchback/8741265/

oh damn I miss it, looking at those pics...but such is life...

Wow, he was asking and obviously got close to $58900. That's a great price for a 1 1/2 yo car that would have been in the late sixties new? Talk about holding good value, I'm impressed

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • Moderators

well few years on, looks like merc is releasing a NEW merc A class again,

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-mercedes-benz-a-class-details-revealed-116779.html?trackLink=SMH1?trackLink=SMH1?ffref=theage

"The new Mercedes A-Class, which will be revealed ahead of its public debut at Geneva motor show in March, will depart from today’s model by receiving two different suspension sets, according to compact vehicle testing boss Jochen Eck.

Both use the same MacPherson strut set-up at the front, though they differ radically at the rear, with lower end models set to run a newly developed torsion beam arrangement and high-end models sporting a revised version of the multi-link suspension first seen on the outgoing third-generation A-Class.~"

doesnt look too different from the current but looks like mechanically and overall quite a few changes, form room inside, visibility, handling, steering, NVH etc.

looks like interior wise its getting quite a major upgrade thought,

"The re-designed A-Class has grown in length including a 30mm increase in wheelbase, while the interior gets a similar widescreen cockpit as found in the S-Class, with the most expensive option using two 10.3in displays. It will also feature touch operation for infotainment and navigation on a Mercedes for the first time."

2018-mercedes-benz-a-class-468.jpg

and from this article,

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2018-mercedes-benz-a-class-to-debut-new-infotainment-116683.html?trackLink=related1

2018-mercedes-benz-mbux-preview-503.jpg

2018-mercedes-benz-a-class-interior-850.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-mercedes-benz-a-class-interior-revealed-116452.html?trackLink=related1

2018-mercedes-benz-a-class-851.jpg

the-new-a-class-is-set-to-debut-mercedes

ooh la la...

one thing i'll say is merc sure know how to do some pretty fancy interiors.... 

I have have always liked cars because they represent freedom/ escape and because of the tech. As a kid I liked Jag E Types and XJ sedans that looked sleek or Citroen’s that also looked sleek, but also boasted interesting tech and quirky design.

So the brand new A Class has a....newly developed torsion beam rear end. Really?  I grumbled about the rear end in my working class Francophile Peugeot going from “passive rear wheel steer” in the 306 to torsion beam in my 308 ( it’s fine I suppose and they had weight reduction targets .....I guess).  How will Mercedes customers view this step? Maybe they don’t care so long as it has that star badge?

This is actually a pretty disappointing car, but I do have high expectations of Mercedes for some reason. It looks like they have tried to take elements from the BMW i3 interior, but give it a Mercedes slant. They have tweaked the weight (torsion beam is lighter), offer cylinder deactivation ( like a golf ) and the aero has been tweaked.  It’s not the tech tour-de-force that Mercedes should be. It will be 2020 shortly, where is the EV power train option? Where is the PHEV even?

I feel like a bit of an imposter saying this, but I am getting ready to buy an expensive car in this price bracket in 2019 (probably the only time I will do it) and looking at the A Class there is nothing more than some squishy leather and the hatch in its favour. I can see Mercedes hanging on by its badge and Donald Trump supporters in the USA vs the Tesla Model 3.  Yes, the panels might fit marginally better on the Merc, but who cares when you could be riding an EV power train, rear wheel drive and no transmission tunnel, still plenty of lighweighting and an independent rear end ( and that’s the base model).

It’s disappointing after seeing media like this.

3492094A-ED23-4923-A787-125F8A7ED11F.jpeg

Edited by Briz Vegas
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Gosh disappointing car ? They’ve apparently improved in just about every facet from original ?

its only base model gets torsion bar. The 306 Peugeot I owned for 7 plus years. It was in my opinion THE best Peugeot in handling since. the more expensive 307 with independent rear was rubbish by comparison missed all the magic of the predecessor.

Not that am sure what have against torsion bars can read below why used in f1 cars

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/torsion_bar.html

in anycase it’s what do with it in implementation as always and it seems from early impressions it’s actually an improvement on previous. 

Am looking forward to what the a250 replacement is like, I absolutely loved mine, best car I owned so look in interest what do to improve on it

inside like bmw? Not sure which one looking at. As per article interior comes from sclass. Bmw 1 series interior is quite dated, though might appeal more for conservative taste. Be interesting what they do to bring upto date.

not sure what expect of merc electric car wise, they’ve laid there plans which are pretty bold and sticking to that as far as know and it doesn’t involve an electric car in March.

but in anycase I think you have been saying for a long time how heavily invested and committed you are with the Tesla so doubt anything going to realistically have half a chance to get in its way :P 

That's a fairly gaudy interior to my eyes with no class at all. Those circular vents are particularly repulsive. Mercedes looks to be moving downmarket with each generation of cars and now they seem to be appealing to the well heeled hoon. I miss Mercs of old.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/consumer-electronics-show/ten-things-we-learned-about-new-mercedes-benz-class

from top gear, 10 things they've learned about the new A class :)

starting with .... 

"It really is all-new

The engineers admit that this A-Class is entirely new, not just a new platform, but also a new engine line-up, too. They’re downsized, come in 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 2.0-litre capacities, and feature turbocharging across the range. There’ll be diesels, despite the current backlash, while EQ Boost (essentially an integrated starter generator) will feature on many models. Mercedes-Benz’s staff are keeping quiet about proper plug-in hybrid versions currently, but it’s inconceivable that the A-Class won’t be offered with an extension lead in time, if not directly from its launch later this year. Incidentally, we’ll see it without the swirly wrap at the Geneva Motor Show, in March."

and so on,

including the fluro   lit interiors already seen there is also a more sedate dash in the base model that was being demoed,

2_159.jpg?itok=MJ8MnSS1

what is great to read is the touch screen interface wont be stripped back for lower models :)

interesting to also read the sport chasis on some will have adaptive suspension but only two options sport and comfort rather than one in the middle that just confuses :)

bigger inside and out and more comfortable than the current A. and in deed while the A45 they say is in super hatch territory there will be another hot hatch no doubt to fill the current gap A250 to a45 as has been reported previously. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

early details,

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/2018-mercedes-benz-a-class-revealed-117108.html?trackLink=SMH0?ffref=theage

but to be honest am no sure on the styling externally, as a fan of the current series, the new one looks like while they have stretched it the front over hang looks a bit odd and a bit droopy. also internally tech wise looks a massive upgrade, and am sure a nice space but 1st impression is senses overload ? is it all a bit too much ? 

perhaps these things look better in the metal. and we are yet to see the a250/a45 what they are like. though a250 which i originally had, the new one performance wise doesnt look a huge step up and still about the same spec. 

interesting about the traps the mention of the 48V electrics and ready for the e-boost etc. so be interesting what they do with the electrified models in time to come as well.

the a35 to come looks to be employing some of this and with a power and performance hike up from the a250,

https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/2018-mercedes-amg-a35-and-a45-confirmed-117109

"The new fourth-generation A-Class hatchback provides the basis for two new AMG-badged models, including a new Volkswagen Golf R rivalling A35 4Matic model set to be unveiled at the Paris motor show in September prior to Australian sales in 2019.

Positioned above the initial range-topping A250, the new performance hatchback is planned to receive an advanced mild-hybrid driveline under the EQ Power banner that Mercedes-Benz has reserved for all new models featuring electric driving or boosting capability.

Based around the M260 petrol engine used by the A250, the new driveline features a belt driven generator and 48-volt electric architecture that contribute to a wholesale increase in performance through the operation of an electric motor that assists the 2.0-litre four-cylinder combustion engine.

Nothing is official just yet, but Mercedes-AMG sources indicate the A35 4Matic will deliver 225kW.

In an even higher state of tune, the new M260 engine is expected to provide the successor to the Audi RS3 rivalling A45 4Matic with an even more potent 308kW."

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

the new CLA45 infact the whole CLA range is looking VERY slick. I saw a yellow sedan on the freeway. wow ! some road presence .... been some years since owned merc A class but fond memories. as much as love my car and no thoughts of changing, have to say there is something about a merc !

• Like 1

The rear end of the new A class... meh. looks like a Hyundai or Kia. The old A class had a much nicer derriere

The new CLA on the other hand.. has a much tastier rear end

It looks like they cut an iPad in half and stuck each piece on top of the dash - that ugly piece of non-design would be enough for me to never buy one - I would hate it every time I jumped in and had to stare at it......