Mercedes A Class

• Moderators

After seeing the first of the A Class in person am super impressed both inside and out. I am pretty sure what will be upgrading my golf gti to now I think :)

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

file-3.jpg

file-2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few external shots,         the grill is an absolute thing of beauty and love the big propeller up the front  

thanks guys ! we just came back from a drive in the hills. first chance I got to stretch it legs. its a really nice cruiser. and handles the winding and twisting bits very nicely. I gave it a couple o

so what are these cars like in use ? when talking about ergonomics, practicality, creature comforts economy etc... As far as ergonomics goes, both are similar on the surface, ie both with your typica

• Moderators

Are they selling them already?? I thought they would only be on the market next year.

next year indeed :)

a 2 litre diesel.........worthy no doubt but zero driving appeal. The B class diesel is one of the worst cars I have ever driven. It's a German Corolla

I wouldnt get a diesel either :)

Looks terrific, Al. Have you had a drive?

the photos dont do it justice wol, it really is quite a looker :)

no didnt drive it, just a look see, sat behind the wheel etc. The A250 is one I want to drive :D

• Like 1

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1356007260' post='815009]

next year indeed :)

I wouldnt get a diesel either :)

the photos dont do it justice wol, it really is quite a looker :)

no didnt drive it, just a look see, sat behind the wheel etc. The A250 is one I want to drive :D

I definitely agree Al. It does actually look very nice and with a decent engine up front it may well put paid to the boring small Benzes :thumb:

• Moderators

Looks fantastic, but how does it perform? I just love my Golf GTi. Will need to look at specs.

absolutely love my gti as well. the a250 AMG sport model compares pretty favourably to the gti in spec. and I can move from my current lease which finishes next year to one of those for nothing additional so looking like a pretty hot candidate. Cant wait to drive one to find out how it goes :)

Edited by :) al

The audiophile in me was tempted by a recent magazine review I read on these, said if you want to hear how loud it is at speed all you gotta hold the page up close to your ear.

• Like 1

Looks great, so much better than the new BMW 1 series equivalent.

It doesn't take a lot to make any car look better than the new BMW 1 series. BMW really lost the plot on this one.

Edited by triode12
  • Like 1

Looks great.....I don’t like the shade of red, but apart from that its on the money....speaking of which what is the GTI equivalent going to set us back?

....probably be getting a new car late 2013/early 2014 and at present it'll be another Golf

• Moderators

It doesn't take a lot to make any car look better than the new BMW 1 series. BMW really lost the plot on this one.

True, I don't see as badly as that but as much as tried to love the 1 series something seems lacking. They go well but I styling they're a mis mash. Externally could maybe live with but internally they're really quite drab and not sure a fan.

• Moderators

Looks great.....I don’t like the shade of red, but apart from that its on the money....speaking of which what is the GTI equivalent going to set us back?

....probably be getting a new car late 2013/early 2014 and at present it'll be another Golf

As mentioned for me mk6 gti to a250 would be change over on the lease costing me nothing more. The bare bones gti is great buying but option up and Thats when costs start to equalise or actually cost more on the gti if try to option the same as a standard a250. The baby mercs eg the a250 are coming fully loaded so can pretty much buy a standard version and posdibly have all you could wish for :)

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I am not a fan of how the BMW 1 looks but it sure drives incredibly well. FWIW the M Sports 135 adds a bit of aggression and the rear looks a lot like a Polo which isn't a bad thing.

The 1 series definitely go well. 135i to be honest might compare more to the upcoming amg a45. That's in another league. But if BMW were to compete with merc on their a class they'd need to also do something on pricing. The 125i when checked pricing was going up over $15k vs a250. Bmws unless buying the std poverty pack cars really start to get silly if optioned up :)

• Moderators

I love the black out.

I expect it looks even better 'in the flesh'

Graham

Interestingly driving yesterday saw a white one on the freeway also with the black contrasting wheels and mirrors roof Etc also looked fantastic. Sits really well on the road. Riding pretty low and flat. The low roof line gives that look. It's almost like a chopped roof. Realise that sitting inside :)

If Neil Lyndon is even remotely close to being correct, it just looks like another Benz snoozfest. Anything that is based on the B class is a must avoid IMO.

I hope I am wrong though.

I know an older guy who has been buying Benzes all his life and he reckons that anything below the C class isn't a real Benz. He knows cars in and out and I very much respect his opinion.

Based on the A & B class so far, I have no reason to think he is wrong.

Still, anything's better than an Audi and buying German resonates with so many people,so good luck to you all :)

That's primarily because A/B are FWD cars whereas Mercs are traditionally RWD

ps the ML is also not a real Merc IIRC, because it's originally a Yank design IIRC.

But with AMG claiming future AMGs are gonna be AWD, I dunno what it means to be a traditional Merc any more.

• Moderators

I find it hard to take a car journalist who laments the loss of the old A class seriously :D

:lol: as an article from a journalist its all over the place. Though yeah quite obviously i think he doesnt quite get why the current A class is so different to the previous and that it is the B class that now fills the little MPV role.

I dont get caught up in the FWD/RWD stuff. owning a golf gti last few years have no probs with a FWD car that goes pretty well and handles pretty well too. well beyond my capabilities anyways. yeah sure be some whom will say that if a car is FWD then deficient in some way. but fwd have moved forward significantly just look at any number of hot hatches from several makers and they are all pretty decent cars. again for me anyways.

Its probably pretty similar thinking from few years ago when bmw brought out the 1 series and quite a few would say anything below a 3 series wasnt really a bmw either. who cares plenty buy them and enjoy them with the pride of ownership of what they are.

re AMG they are on record that there comes a point where have to move from a FWD or RWD car to AWD and that is purely to get traction off the line. putting the power down ...power to the road. And is why the A45 to come is AWD the A class allows for that...try explain that to your old guy wiht his benzes phantom. not that probably relevant he likely has a certain image of what mercedes is to him. But doesnt mean that is an image that has to fit to everyone else. car makers have to evolve and move with the times or they get left behind. the buying public has a huge appetite for small hatchbacks, hot hatches and the premium hatch and benz needs to fill those segments. cars like the B class or previous A class dont fit that role neither would the C class. the good thing is they have other cars in their range for those looking for something else.

• Moderators

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1356262181' post='816431]

good run down of specs and pricing for the aus release,

http://www.themotorr...-of-march-debut

plus some good overseas reviews,

http://recombu.com/c...d-by-amg-review

http://www.topgear.c...oad-test/driven

http://www.theaa.com...ts/2012067.html

hopefully we get some local reviews of aus spec cars :)

not 100% sold on the interior to be honest...all that red and the way the monitor sits doesnt do it for me.Also starting at $49990 is that drive away?

if not that makes it already $10k more then the GTI..

If it were me i'd pass on the first version and wait for the next years one to arrive so they can iron out any little bugs it may have.

Notice how in the Top Gear review he says the petrol engines aren't exactly inspiring?

If the diesel is the pick of the range I'll pass completely. I was never that hot on these anyway.

Sorry if my opinion spoils the party. Don't mind me guys....if you like 'em that's great. :) I will stick with my Megane for a while and when I need more space in a couple of years, I will look around then.

• Moderators

49k includes as standard panoramic roof, bixenon, reverse camera and a bunch of other stuff that isn't standard on the GTI.

yep as mentioned with my golf gti with few options its got its a straight swap for price no more on my lease. the golf gti is a great bargain stock but add options and it jumps up high. the a250 is fully loaded already and if were to get one could just get it stock.

Notice how in the Top Gear review he says the petrol engines aren't exactly inspiring?

If the diesel is the pick of the range I'll pass completely. I was never that hot on these anyway.

Sorry if my opinion spoils the party. Don't mind me guys....if you like 'em that's great. :) I will stick with my Megane for a while and when I need more space in a couple of years, I will look around then.

stick with what you love. as with these things theres plenty options out there for everyone, different brands different models. see for me megane see not even a contender. the 5 door megane hatch backs are rubbish boring as batsh!t granny mobiles. if was just looking at 2 door cars the megane as with say johns roc sure be an option. but yeah what am looking for is a practical 5 door hot hatch to replace the golf gti and the merc a250 sure looks good especially on the back of the a200 seen already :)

re engines the engine in the a250 is gruntier with a bigger engine than in the c250 sport coupe.

http://canberratimes...1207-2b0gj.html

the a250 has more power more torque and quicker in a straight line than the c250 and from the sounds of it reading that article the c250 also has the same red black contrast amg dinamica interior with all the amg tweakes like the a250. bargain really when consider the c250 is $20k more plus onroads ! :)

• Moderators

Boring as batschit?

A Megane RS 265?

and you tell me that a Benz is more exciting .

My apologies mate, I must live on another planet

Merry Christmas Al :)

I'm talking of the megane 5 door hatchbacks ! they are boring as batsh!t granny mobiles ! have you seen or driven any of them ?

whose talking about a RS 265. you mis interpretted my post. the RS models are only 2 door coupes, am not sure you realise that and of no use to me as am after a 5 door hatch back. Did you miss my clarification in my post ?

• Moderators

no worries phantom, if renault or peugeot or citroen for instance made a 5 door hatchback theyd definitely be contenders as a big fan of french cars :)

other contender for me is the volvo v40,

http://www.caradvice.com.au/volvo/v40/

unclear the volvo image is for me, even my wife said that ! but it looks a nice car, the hot hatch version can be similarly optioned to the a250. But volvo have been clear they are not going to try match the merc A250 for price. So likely going to be pricey, matched with the awfull resale on volvos that is not great when doing a lease. Performance wise I imagine it would be excellent but not sure on the interior its a bit too straight laced...plain jane for me...very nordic ! :D its due early next year so will check out as well :)