Using 2ch Amp for L & R of HT, wow what an improvement!

I recently brought a 40w 2ch amp from local (SA) Richard McDonald.

Amp is called the "Quasimodo".

Using a Yamaha V663 for HT.

Found at higher volumes the yamaha combined with my main Standmount with Ribbons are a bit bitey at the higher freqs (especially with lower quality videos e.g. older Music videos).

Now with the "Quasimodo" running the Main L & R things are more organic, analog and smoother.

The "Quasimodo" is very tube-like.

Enjoying the journey .....

Yamaha V663 pre-out L R > Quasimodo 2ch amp.

I will focus on the Centre channel next ......... Maybe another Quasimodo amp!!! Liking the tube-like amp combined with Ribbons.

Also, down the track - using an AV Pre .....

i had an old Pioneer valve amp that had an output for a centre channel.

Sadly, it died a terrible death!

Was a great sounding amp

PP EL84's.

Fair bit of distortion but made the music sound very exciting.

And to get SURROUND SOUND from your favorite two channel stereo amplfier, you need this device:

If it does what it is purported to do, then it will be a breakthrough product for many normal homes that do not have a dedicated 7.1 channel Home Theatre room.

Steve.

• 1 month later...
I was a great defender of quality AVRs producing good music until I also saw the light.

You are treading a well-worn path, Ron. Congrats on the purchase.

I never went down the AVR path. Heck, I've never even owned a TV! :)

Cheers!

SS

I've been doing this for years too, works well. Good thing is that for playing music you can just use the stereo system without even switching on the AVR. For HT, the system is more dynamic sounding with both amps as compared to the AVR alone, probably because the AVR only has to concern itself with powering the centre and surround speakers.

As for the centre channel, I'm personally not convinced that its strictly necessary. (Opinions will differ on this, of course.)

ok so let me get this straight, you guys are still decoding audio via the AVR but using the pre-outs on the AVR for L and R only, feeding a 2 channel amp which has the mains hooked up to it. You then simply leave the AVR off when listening to stereo ?

hmmm, wonder if i can get a Marantz Pearl Lite past The Gatekeeper

oh ok, I didnt think you could split up the speakers like that, I knew you could pre-out, but I wasnt aware your rears and centre, for example, would still run off the AVR. Nifty ;-)

I had plans of simply losing the AVR altogether and just running  2.0 decoded at the source into a (nice) integrated amp. Proper imaging would take care of any dialogue, wouldnt even need a centre (in my set-up)

edit: if a demo of 2.0 moviewatching proved satisfactory

Edited by mello yello

ok so let me get this straight, you guys are still decoding audio via the AVR but using the pre-outs on the AVR for L and R only, feeding a 2 channel amp which has the mains hooked up to it. You then simply leave the AVR off when listening to stereo ?

Spot on.

I've been thinking that the ht bypass idea could be used to set up an intimate two channel, by using the rears of a 5.1 setup with a suitably sweet integrated. Just for a different listening option.

Could even plonk a TT on top for the dark side lads.