Binding Post modification for a Sansui AU717 Amplifier

skippy124

Hi,

Having been asked by jesco to convert the speaker terminals to binding posts on a 717 I am restoring for him, I thought that there must be a way of doing this without needing to drill holes etc in the rear panel, and that would be completely reversible in so desired, and would also be applicable for the 317, 417, and 517.

Here is the end result..... well not really the end result, I have just prototyped this and this is the result.

Initial design was completed, and it was time to get into some metalworking. 1.6mm (16G) aluminium was chosen for the main plates, and 0.8mm steel for the rear locking plates. Two plates approx 76mm long an 26mm wide were cut out, as where two small locking plates

Bindingpostmodstartingout.jpg

Two copies of the drawings for the main plates were printed out, then cut our and taped to the plates. Hole centres were then punched, and a hand hole punch used to make the mounting holes and binding post holes in the two plates

Bindingpostmodstartingoutpunched.jpg

The plates ready for painting

Bindingpostmodblanksfinished.jpg

and painted

Bindingpostmodblanksfinishedandpainted.jpg

The plate mounted to the rear of the 717. I am using black M3 screws, and have mounted the plates with M3 nuts for trialling the fit. M3 screws, or black 6g self tappers could be used, I am going to tray a few different combinations to see what gives the best result The plate is designed so that the fastening screws locate the plate in relation to the cutout in the 717 rear panel, and once all screws are fitted, the plate is locked in place.

Bindingpostmodplateinstalled.jpg

What it looks like with some binding posts installed (these are not the final ones that will be fitted, I am waiting delivery of these, should be in the next day or two and I can post up final pics)

Bindingpostmodplateinstalledwithposts.jpg

and from the rear (as per notes above, this is not the final rear arrangement)

Bindingpostmodplateinstalledwithpostsrear.jpg

Once this is fine tuned, I am going to get some plates and rear locking plates professionally made up from 1.0 or 1.2mm Steel sheet and powdercoated satin black. I have a few units in my collection that I will be doing this mod to, along with a couple of other 717's that I am restoring for friends, this will be a lot easier than making them up by hand.

I hope this shows another option for doing the binding post upgrade.

Cheers

John

• Like 4

Looks great! I have been wanting to do something similar to an old Technics amplifier I have at home. It has those crappy connections that take small gauge wire and twist 90 degrees to secure. They have snapped off due to their age.

Just found this thread, looking very good John and with the pics, I can see now what you were talking about.

Those posts will be a big improvement and looking forward to putting the old girl back in her rightful place and giving her a run with my new DAC!

Cheers mate.

Jesco/Wayne

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes you're the only one;)  just kidding it has to do with Photobucket shutting down any photos that had been uploaded from that site don't show anymore it's happening over heaps of forums. 

• Like 1