Post some pics thread...

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Angkor Wat - Cambodia

We had some good thunderstorms during the week.

damselfly hitching a ride on a turtle - I thought it was a radio-tracking antenna at first!       cheers   mick

I went to the Sandringham Yacht Club yesterday to try and get some photos of yachts under sail. It was good fun, and something a little different for me.

Here are a few from yesterday

#1 3 against 1, although I'm not sure the 3 are up to the task

Sandringham_Dec_2014-004_zps63031686.jpg

#2 Whoa, that was close

Sandringham_Dec_2014-005_zps08c25be3.jpg

#3 There were a couple of Jet Skis also amongst the boats

Sandringham_Dec_2014-003_zpscb9e9720.jpg

#4 Then stopped on the way home and grabbed a few shots of this couple out for a walk with their dog.

Sandringham_Dec_2014-006_zpsdb29b6b8.jpg

• Like 8

Don't look at this for too long. It'll do your eyes in :)

blur3.jpg

#1, blur3.jpg, Nikon D750, AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR, 24mm f4.0 1/10 sec ISO-1600.

Very successful, Ken.

Very successful, Ken.

Thanks Newman and I assume you mean as a panning shot and not for doing your eyes in. Or it could be both ;)

It would have been even better if the guy on the bike behind had been going a tad faster so he was a longer blur as well.

A couple more from the weekend. I like the transparency of the tram in this one.

blur1.jpg

#1, blur1.jpg, Nikon D750, AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR, 32mm f16 4 sec ISO-200.

Another Hosier Lane. One day I'll get there when it's raining.

hosier45.jpg

#2, hosier45.jpg, Nikon D750, AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR, 24mm f4 1/8 sec ISO-1600.

• Like 17

I am rapidly becoming a fan of Fuji cameras, they just seem to have a natural palette of colours.

Some recent shots with a first generation Fuji X-100 ...a small good looking camera to carry on holidays, especially after using big DSLRs for years.

DSCF3124_zps302c9864.jpg

Santorini Greece ...yes, the sea is actually that blue over there and mimic-ed by their love of blue and white paint on adobe walls.

DSCF3128_zps16b20d72.jpg

DSCF7362_zps2c977c3f.jpg

DSCF7339_zpsf80f3056.jpg

Charmonix Swiss Alps "The Aiguille du Midi" the cable car of death (damn scary ride) 4000m up to Mont Blanc

DSCF7373_zpsd031f4f1.jpg

The hard way up!! A group of climbers lost their lives in an avalanche about a week after we returned home, very sad.

DSCF7285_zps08b47343.jpg

A coupla nice macro shots

DSCF2273_zpsb2e17d11.jpg

DSCF7200_zps4b7ca79b.jpg

The Saleve mountain near Geneva

DSCF3199_zps3a7e3204.jpg

I wouldn't buy a watch in Turkey, but the food is great!

S0393266_zpsdf49c133.jpg

DSCF2939_zps311cec47.jpg

Dubrovnik Croatia, a hidden treasure. Not so secret these days it seems as there were hundreds of tourists there ...

DSCF2004_zps541a8ad6.jpg

This kind of food can only be found in Paris France

DSCF2008_zpsfbc0ca56.jpgDSCF1892_zpsbcfae46a.jpg

DSCF2499_zpscc5cbba6.jpg

Mugello countryside in central Italy, where the famous Venetian Medici Family took their holidays. Looks natural, expressive and beautiful like a painting rather than a photo - you can't ask for any more from a camera, can you?

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 14

Thanks Richard, yes you have to watch altitude sickness after 2,500m, your wife was pretty game going up 4000m to Mont Blanc, while pregnant. That reminds me, another guy went up in boardies, singlet and thongs (the words frozen and nuts come to mind :rolleyes: ), it was about -5C up there. The ride up and down wasn't that scary for me, but the cable car photo does look pretty hairy (an 'into the void' type pic).

DSCF7375_zps8156b83e.jpg

Here's another funny illusionary shot of the cable car ...CRUNCH!!  No, it didn't crash into the mountain, just looks that way.

Steve.

• Like 3

Yeah Rob, agree travel is mind expanding and the coolest thing you can do. We hit nine countries on that Euro trip in 42 days and only scratched the surface. Traveled on quite a few trains going from London-Paris-Geneva-Milan-Florence-Rome-Venice and fitted a Mediterranean cruise in too.

Edited by Steve M

Yeah Rob, agree travel is mind expanding and the coolest thing you can do. We hit nine countries on that Euro trip in 42 days and only scratched the surface. Traveled on quite a few trains going from London-Paris-Geneva-Milan-Florence-Rome-Venice and fitted a Mediterranean cruise in too.

I liked the unedited response better...I understand your reasons for "modding" the response...

This is a worry...both love travel & panel speakers...

Been watching a pair of collared sparrowhawks - they are nesting and hopefully will hatch some young soon.

Cheers

mick

Edited by mickj1
  • Like 3

A definite Jeffrey Smart influence in this one.

park66.jpg

#1, park66.jpg, Nikon D750, AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR, 32mm f8 4 sec ISO-200.

Great shot, it does remind me of Jeffery Smarts paintings......maybe put a small Clive James lurking in the shadows ;)

You should try this in a Zone System like B&W shot, since you have pretty much captured something in each graduation of the zone system, from paper white [the center spotlight at top, to pitch black on the inside of the door frame on the left].

I'm only going by viewing a reduced JEPG version, but for where I'm sitting, I'd stick the shadow on the bottom right in zone III, just so you can still just barely make out the texture of the tarmac, the rest should fall into place

Great shot, it does remind me of Jeffery Smarts paintings......maybe put a small Clive James lurking in the shadows ;)

You should try this in a Zone System like B&W shot, since you have pretty much captured something in each graduation of the zone system, from paper white [the center spotlight at top, to pitch black on the inside of the door frame on the left].

I'm only going by viewing a reduced JEPG version, but for where I'm sitting, I'd stick the shadow on the bottom right in zone III, just so you can still just barely make out the texture of the tarmac, the rest should fall into place

Thanks @@Tweaky Haven't played around with such things since my darkroom days. I've tried a few B&W conversions in LR but to be honest I really prefer colour and I think it makes the shot, especially the yellow clearance bar. I had thought of re-framing it to remove the bright fluro sign on the door as it's a bit of a distraction but then it's got the whole triangular thing going for it. Composition is such a tricky thing :)

Edited by KenTripp

It's a image that has limitless possibilities.

I could see at least 10 different versions of that photo being made, you could make it look very moody without much work.

It got me going through back issues of C'T Digital photography looking for the Advanced Blending Modes in Photoshop tutorial.

It just so happens they have this article available as a free download, so you don't need to buy the whole back issue.

http://www.ct-digiphoto.com/freearticles/blending-modes-layer-techniques-beyond-basics/

Strongly recommend you get it, it will give you many ideas of possible subtle variations that can be done with that one shot.

Actually, it's the type of shot that if you want to keep in colour, you should consider processing in PS's LAB COLOR section, which 95% of people have never touched or know anything about.

It differs from RGB in that you can do colour and saturation adjustments that are basically impossible in RGB mode.

Edited by Tweaky

@@KenTripp

Really crisp photos above. They transform my screen in to a window. Please tell me you applied post processing otherwise I'll need to sell my Canon. After seeing your shots (and I could do with an upgrade) I'm considering it anyway. Kudos!

Thanks @@wim

There is PP but only what's needed to generate a JPG for display/printing.

I only shoot 14bit uncompressed RAW and process the NEF's in Lightroom but apply minimal processing.

In fact I have a standard Import Preset which is applied to all the NEF files as they're imported and I usually only need to make minor adjustments, mostly to shadow and highlights to avoid clipping but sometimes I also have to mess around with Exposure and WB.

PS. Good time to upgrade to a Nikon and I can highly recommend the D750  :D 

I'm pretty sure it's making the major contribution to the pics I'm taking.

• Like 1

Good time to upgrade to a Nikon and I can highly recommend the D750  :D

I'm pretty sure it's making the major contribution to the pics I'm taking.

"That was a great meal - you must have really good pots and pans", said noone ever.  :P Don't sell yourself short - those are really good images.

I'll look in to the D750, thanks. Could be an expensive month...