Post some pics thread...

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Angkor Wat - Cambodia

We had some good thunderstorms during the week.

damselfly hitching a ride on a turtle - I thought it was a radio-tracking antenna at first!       cheers   mick

And then there were some girls that didn't want to share their teddy, an old car, a confused bride, a lighthouse and then I looked in a mirror.

post-142611-0-27447200-1408273640_thumb.

post-142611-0-85269200-1408273655_thumb.

post-142611-0-93574600-1408273670_thumb.

post-142611-0-12685800-1408273687_thumb.

post-142611-0-12572800-1408273704_thumb.

• Like 6

Wonthaggi-005_zps37931730.jpg

Wonthaggi-006_zps22f4f017.jpg

Wonthaggi-007_zpsbff40038.jpg

That's all I've processed so far, but don't worry I won't flood you with too many others, I only wanted to check out the results of a camera/lens combo I'd not used before. :)

• Like 1

That's all I've processed so far, but don't worry I won't flood you with too many others, I only wanted to check out the results of a camera/lens combo I'd not used before. :)

Well the results look great, but:

And the combo was....? and you were...?

Cheers

mick

Edited by mickj1

Assuming you have a Nikon setup with 70-200 f/2.8

Don't soil your camera bag with a Sigma, get a TC-20E teleconverter for your 70-200 making it a 140-400mm F5.6. It will be faster and sharper than the Sigma.

Found this page, some good info on Nikkor lenses for wildlife photography.

Oops - sorry if I"ve soiled this thread by posting my bird pics taken with the Sigma, I'll just have to forego posting any more until I can meet the expectations.

Cheers

mick

• Moderators

oh mick never mind anyone else please keep posting, re the sigma I'd happily buy it, but a tele convertor is a cheaper and handier option for me anyways. we all make our choices.

ps I found this handy comparison on the combination I have ie canon 5D3 and 70-200 f2.8IS with and without the 2x tele

Interesting video Al, are you considering the 2X? Does the camera still autofocus? Is it just a doubling of the F stop you need to be mindful of?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Interesting video Al, are you considering the 2X? Does the camera still autofocus? Is it just a doubling of the F stop you need to be mindful of?

Cheers

Hi mondie ordered the 2x already, will be first for me in tele convertor land. From what I have read all works as should. And yeah the f2.8 becomes a f5.6 I understand

Some interesting reading here using the same lens 2x tele combo and in ref to birding

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2010/11/13/canon-70-200mm-f2-8-l-is-ii-2x-ii-teleconverter-report/

Prob best check lens compatibility below, but from what can tell, 70-200 f2.8is and the 2xIII are a popular combo :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon2xExtender.html

• Like 1

Well the results look great, but:

And the combo was....? and you were...?

Cheers

mick

Thanks Mick

These were taken with a Fuji X-T1 and 18-135mm lens. I'd not used the camera previously and just followed my gut from using my Nikon P&S. 

Oops - sorry if I"ve soiled this thread by posting my bird pics taken with the Sigma, I'll just have to forego posting any more until I can meet the expectations.

Cheers

mick

Don't stop posting your wonderful images Mick, I for one enjoy looking at them, and don't care what lens/body combo they're taken with.

Hi mondie ordered the 2x already, will be first for me in tele convertor land. From what I have read all works as should. And yeah the f2.8 becomes a f5.6 I understand

Some interesting reading here using the same lens 2x tele combo and in ref to birding

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2010/11/13/canon-70-200mm-f2-8-l-is-ii-2x-ii-teleconverter-report/

Prob best check lens compatibility below, but from what can tell, 70-200 f2.8is and the 2xIII are a popular combo :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWork/charts/canon2xExtender.html

Congratulations Al. I'll be interested in your thoughts after you've used it a few times?

I have a couple of extenders, including a 2X, and hardly ever use them. I prefer to use an APS-C body and basically use that as the extender, and probably not too much difference in the price depending on which body you buy.

Cheers

Yes, with the Canon one the body will still autofocus. However one of guys I go shooting with has used the Canon 2X with his 300mm f/2.8, and even on the 5D MIII it does struggle to obtain focus in low light. This could be due to Canon's focusing system, as before the 5D MKIII their bodies would only autofocus at f/5.6, which I might add is the same for many other camera manufactures. I've been told (not sure if its true) Sigma slower lenses e.g f/6.3 have their firmware tweaked to inform Canon bodies it is only f/5.6 so the focus system will at least have a crack at autofocusing.

Here's one I grabbed with my Cannon G11 a while ago.   These guys were cutting through the tram tracks with plasma cutters.  One stick per cut and it took about 30 seconds.   It was part of tram track replacement works in Mount Alexander Rd, Moonee Ponds.   Working along behind these guys were 14 heavy excavators working their way along the road digging up the tracks and road foundations.   Interstingly the original timber track foundations were still underneath and looked to be redgum in very good condition.  Probably at least 80 years old, maybe older.   I tried to take a timed shot of the works with my camera sitting on a bus stop seat but with all the heavy machinery around the ground was shaking too much.

post-104566-0-36984500-1408317201_thumb.

Edited by GAT474
  • Like 6

That's very cool!

Thanks,

A bit of black a white treatment in Picasa and it looks old school. As much as I love my dslr the little cannon is the one I can carry in my backpack for those opportune pics.

Kinda looks like the bloke on the right is shooting sparks down a hole in the ground and they're coming up the other end hitting ol mate on the left in the face.

:lol:

Kinda looks like the bloke on the right is shooting sparks down a hole in the ground and they're coming up the other end hitting ol mate on the left in the face.

That's funny, does look like that too.  They went all the way down the road doing that, the bloke on the left never learnt.

Looks like a very uncomfortable work pose.

Maybe longer nozzles or shorter blokes would be better?

;)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

Looks like a very uncomfortable work pose.

Maybe longer nozzles or shorter blokes would be better?

;)

It was pretty interesting, the rods started at about 3 feet long.  They attached them to the handles and struck the end of the rods on the square steel plates on back of the truck.  You can just see the plates sticking out under the tray of the truck.  Once struck they started sparking and they just put them on the tram tracks and cut away.   By the time they cut through the track the rod was burnt down to pretty much the handle.   Here's the cutting process and the follow up.  These would have been much better with the DLSR but it's a moot point really as I don't carry it around with me whereas the G11 lives in my backpack.  You can see the new tracks waiting on the right in the last pic.   Took them a week or so to do the whole job.

post-104566-0-81879400-1408326937_thumb.

post-104566-0-58393500-1408326982_thumb.

post-104566-0-90069200-1408327024_thumb.

Edited by GAT474

thats what drugs does to you boys and girls

• Like 1

It was pretty interesting, the rods started at about 3 feet long.  They attached them to the handles and struck the end of the rods on the square steel plates on back of the truck.  You can just see the plates sticking out under the tray of the truck.  Once struck they started sparking and they just put them on the tram tracks and cut away.   By the time they cut through the track the rod was burnt down to pretty much the handle.   Here's the cutting process and the follow up.  These would have been much better with the DLSR but it's a moot point really as I don't carry it around with me whereas the G11 lives in my backpack.  You can see the new tracks waiting on the right in the last pic.   Took them a week or so to do the whole job.

Ah ok I see.

They're rods.

Makes sense.

nice photos Gat

but wouldnt it be just easier to switch to buses

Yeah, I was pretty hungry, tired and cold by the time the next tram came along.

• Like 2