warnsey1

Post some pics thread...

You have really got a great formula for adding the flash to your selfies - love it!

Can you share the setting you use on your flash so it is the right power??

Thanks,

Gregg

Edited by Fro

3 minutes ago, Fro said:

You have really got a great formula for adding the flash to your selfies - love it!

Can you share the setting you use on your flash so it is the right power??

The flash is in manual mode ... generally +1 EV, and I fire it manually. It needs to be bright enough to illuminate but not so bright that your arm is totally blown out. Need to experiment a bit on the night sometimes (but not that particular night at Arches: it was -10C and I was all alone in the dark and I could hear animals nearby ... possibly a hungry mountain lion ... so I bravely ran way soon after).

To get the star shape you need a narrower aperture but at night that means too long on exposure for standing still (introducing blur) or too high an ISO for processing. So even though the Nikkor 20mm lens is f/1.8  I was sacrificing some speed by using f/2.8 to get a nicer star shape.

The lens is important too ... the Nikkor 20mm lens is known for producing nice star patterns ... but my Rokinon 14mm doesn't give nice star patterns at all.

I've also found that a bright sky helps ... using the moon for lighting up my back to balance the light from the flash, like the image above. But if you want the Milky Way in the shot then you want no moon so the flash needs to be a bit brighter and that increases the risk of blowout on your arm.

Processing: need to be gentle when applying contrast or reducing highlights (this could reduce the nice hazy glow at the centre of the star to a bright ball).

As always: experiment and practice locally, so that when you get out in the wild you'll have a good idea of what your gear can do.

--Geoff

Haven't visited this thread for a while, so much goodness to catch up on.

Love ya work everyone.

I haven't had my SLR out for a while but here's an iphone pic I took at the Slash, Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators concert recently. in Sydney. My son is a huge fan of Slash and as a guitarist was stoked to catch his pick. 

IMG_E2298.thumb.JPG.ea36ca33ed8c4a39612f764cbf75115a.JPG

On 19/02/2019 at 7:08 PM, Rustee said:

Love ya work everyone.

I haven't had my SLR out for a while but here's an iphone pic I took at the Slash, Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators concert recently. in Sydney. My son is a huge fan of Slash and as a guitarist was stoked to catch his pick. 

You can never have enough lead guitarist with a Les, great shot, must of been good tickets to get so close.

My latest attempts of flower shots using 4x5 negative darkroom prints.

1158048542_150219hp5inpyroilfordgrade2642(2).thumb.jpg.9f480d940916513aee2e78e3c2bf3c40.jpg

33308857058_14db8dd9b4_c.jpgLily by Paul Fitz, on Flickr

Edited by awty

Love ya work everyone.

All of the photos I take at concerts with my iPhone are cr*p. Great photo.

Some long exposures taken on film around Christmas time. First one on Kodak Ektar 100, second on Kodak Portra 160. Both on medium format (Mamiya 6, 75mm)

gri3bqgd79zz.jpg

unnamed.jpg

10 hours ago, awty said:

You can never have enough lead guitarist with a Les, great shot, must of been good tickets to get so close.

So true @awty! and thanks, I was in the mosh with my 2 kids. It was fantastic to be that close as I'm normally in the seats.

8 hours ago, Kensell21 said:

All of the photos I take at concerts with my iPhone are cr*p. Great photo.

Thanks @Kensell21 One thing that helps is taking photo's on the under-exposed side. This tends to reduce (at least I think it does - who knows what happens inside an iphone )shutter speed slightly and ISO which helps the image quality. Small lens, small sensor and low light definitely makes things difficult.

Edited by Rustee

Standing on the ol' Sandgate seawall the other night. I'd timed it so that the moon would be in line with the wall, but of course clouds rolled in exactly at the wrong moment:

33307949018_ae76d59582_c.jpg

Nikon D750 camera + Nikkor 20mm lens @ f/2.8, ISO 400, 6 seconds.

--Geoff