A/V Receiver ~$500-$700

Having said that, i didn't know nad is niche....?

Its pretty mainstream i reckon.

More common to say, integra (yes, just another Onkyo) or integra research.

u can easily say nad is just as common as rotel.

If you define niche as "unavailable in JB Hi Fi", then NAD, Integra, and Rotel are all niche. And as unfortunate as it is, the mainstream buyer generally gets their HT system from somewhere like JB.

Ipad crashed last night, three times whilst writing this post...

I try again.

Have a look at the Cambridge Audio 650R, has a nice sound to it and is built like a tank.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=493&Title=Azur+650R+7.1+HDMI+3D+AV+Receiver+

Seems to me that AVRs depreciate rather quickly, even if unused, ie still new but not the latest model I recall seeing the CA 650R for $2k a few years ago, nowadays it can be had for $799 from dennis white.

The marketers have convinced the market a two year old AVR wont do what we want it to do... of course thats usually bs.

Ipad crashed last night, three times whilst writing this post...

I try again.

Have a look at the Cambridge Audio 650R, has a nice sound to it and is built like a tank.

http://www.cambridge...3D AV Receiver

Seems to me that AVRs depreciate rather quickly, even if unused, ie still new but not the latest model I recall seeing the CA 650R for $2k a few years ago, nowadays it can be had for $799 from dennis white.

The marketers have convinced the market a two year old AVR wont do what we want it to do... of course thats usually bs.

Yer.....why is that so....low?

some dudes are selling this for $1299 on gumtree, when you can have one new for $799?

http://www.deniswhitea2v.com.au/cambridge-azur-650r.html

ok, so, scratch the NAD T748.

My new opinion this is the new catch of the time for < $800. Its no 3D, but who cares?

and um,

ITS NICHE!

If you define niche as "unavailable in JB Hi Fi", then NAD, Integra, and Rotel are all niche. And as unfortunate as it is, the mainstream buyer generally gets their HT system from somewhere like JB.

i get you, but i guess its about one's personal classification of niche.

I would classify this as niche:

http://www.deniswhitea2v.com.au/audio/av-receivers/sherbourn-av-reciever/

but to classify nad, integra, rotel, CA, harman kardon, and at times marantz (i.e. the SR7005/7007) as niche is purely wrong in my opinion. its so mainstream.

either way the CA 650R is a great pick.

Yeh mate, its hdmi is "only" 1.3c.

But thats part of my previous point, which you agree with. AVRs tech looks like it moves rapidly, but i reckon ultimately the tech is a crock. Give me a decent amplifier section any day over, technobabble.

Yes, NAD and Cambridge make a broad range of electronics gear but when it comes to HDMI, it doesn't appear that they have large amounts of resources. I've always said HDMI testing/troubleshooting is not trivial.

Denon (and sister company Marantz) share a lot of common components and firmware so the 7005 and the 3312 are pretty much identical under the metal exterior.

CA does use Oppo for their BR players which IMHO is a great way to leverage a more mainstream model's HDMI experience base.

Yeh mate, its hdmi is "only" 1.3c.

But thats part of my previous point, which you agree with. AVRs tech looks like it moves rapidly, but i reckon ultimately the tech is a crock. Give me a decent amplifier section any day over, technobabble.

As for me, I'd go for a reasonably stable HDMI AVR with pre outs and use something like Emotivas to deliver decent grunt.

Thanks DG, looking to add an entry level AVR myself in the next month or so, and just going through my options. My immediate choice was the NAD, but having seen the price on the CA i might be reconsidering. My only real requirements are full pre outs if i decide an external power amp will bring befefits.

As for me, I'd go for a reasonably stable HDMI AVR with pre outs and use something like Emotivas to deliver decent grunt.

Agree, but for this purposes with AVR < $700-$800

either very stable hdmi avr with average sq (denon, onkyo, yamaha, used marantz etc)

OR

an average stable hdmi with above average sq (ca, used rotel, nad)

no power amps unless you getthem for free

Thanks DG, looking to add an entry level AVR myself in the next month or so, and just going through my options. My immediate choice was the NAD, but having seen the price on the CA i might be reconsidering. My only real requirements are full pre outs if i decide an external power amp will bring befefits.

either grab the ca 650r quickly or the more expensive ca 551r.

the 650r's wont last long at $799 i assure you = )

Agreed. Alternatively the brand new Outlaw processor looks interesting http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html, or there's always the Emotiva UMC-200...

I think that's a good move .. there's usually a big gain to be had by using external amplification, in my experience.

helllooooooha

so

i was just curious

made a few calls.

got one ca 650r unit in black, delivery to reach me on Tuesday.

just so I can pass the buck on -> the dennis white unit here is a demo unit. a discount can be had if you purchase it from them. I'll respect the discount amount offered by the retailer & not reveal it, but its a demo unit so you can assume what you wish.

this will be for the 2nd room i guess - but an overkill IMO.

cheerio will let you know how it goes

Edited by Wilco

General comment from left field

Was talking to HIFI shop owner last week re surround sound pre amps

His response "look around you I don't have an av product in stock, we are soon to have a generational change.

Sherwood has been working for years on new technology the revolutionary chip will be available very soon."

Sounds a bit odd, i haven't heard of the "revolutionary chip" and from what i've seen from Sherwood i can't really see them as changing the future of home theatre. I may be wrong, but the only thing i can see todays AVR's needing to adopt to remain up to date is 4K hdmi, and further improving auto room setup features.