anyone really cashed up after Xmas? If so, buy a HiFi store.

If the asking price is based on 3 years profit, then its only returning about 10% pa. And seeing the price doesn't include stock, I can't see there being quarter of a million of "good will" in the store.

I could never own a Hi Fi store, I would never get any work done :biggrin:

G'day,

Can't say I've ever been into that place, maybe some other Brisbanites have?[/b]

I've been there before -- basically a shed in an industrial estate. I caught the train one afternoon from the city to Ipswich, and walked in 38 degree heat to this store, to listen to Krix speakers and haggle over a Rotel RB-1080 amp. Pleasant enough chap running the place at the time.

--Geoff

I think the traditional shop front business models are been squeezed out by the mass market carton movers, and they need to be offerring unique product or show a level of expertise and after sales service to survive.

Merging of the IT/computer and home automation presents more challenges for typical shop front unless they posses the marketing and trades and programming skills to show a degree of difference.

Cheers Tony C

Interesting.

Audio Equip operated in Perth successfully for many years in a pretty basic shop in an industrial area-albeit in a small industrial area in a wealthy area near the Swan River[booragoon].

They always gave good deals and service and obviously did not have the rental costs of the more high profile shops so were probably more profitable.I bought my first pair of speakers there-Tangent RS4s[fantastic speakers in the BBC design style].They also built speakers out the back-Staccato was the brand.

Later on they moved to flash new premises on a major road and concentrated on home cinema -and were never quite the same.

Just ran across this by accident :wink:

Hi Fi store for sale

Can't say I've ever been into that place, maybe some other Brisbanites have?[/b]

It's not much of a store now. John, the original owner, sold me my first system in 1981. He moved to Brisbane (Hando's HI-Fi at Toowong - now AV Domain) The original store was in Bell Street Ipswich near the railway station. It's now in a little besser block building in an industrial estate at West Ipswich. The equipment is about on par with Harvet Norman or a large chain store. The owner reminds me of a used car salesman. My impression was that it did most of its business from car sound installations. I have not been impressed with it on the few occassions I have been there.

Andrew

This place is just down the road from me. Never been tempted to enter the shop though.

Cannot see me buying it either.

As a retired High Flyer I could not possibly go into 'trade'.

I am moving to the Noosa Hinterland in the next few months anyway. Bet the Hi-Fi shops there are more than just a shed.

Steven.