Sign in to follow this  
Cafad

My Room Of Audio

Nice purple puppies.

They are meant to be gloss black, I guess they are reflecting a bit of the red and orange folders and bags lying about.  Do you like my self portrait?  Check out pic number three.  Great finish on these ML1s.

They are meant to be gloss black, I guess they are reflecting a bit of the red and orange folders and bags lying about.  Do you like my self portrait?  Check out pic number three.  Great finish on these ML1s.

It is half a self portrait.

What is it with those soft toys in picture 2 -  your inner child? :nana , sorry couldnt help myself. All the best with the reno

Hope it goes well and that you will be able to listen to stuff soon. 

Thanks JV, those two little bears are presents for my Parents, or were many, many years ago (15, 20, maybe more).  The have "Best Mum" printed on the yellow one and "Best Dad" on the purple one and they have sat on the dining room table now for a very long time.

I would post a few more pics but the guys have only finished the walls and ceilings and are cutting out windows and doors so it doesn't look like much happened today.  Well..., maybe I will later tonight, if I get bored enough.

Don't know if you'll still have the Osborns by the time the new cave is completed, but I'll bet they will soundly vastly different away from the back and side walls. I did a complete relocation of my entire entertainment room (after some advice from Greg O) and moved my Eclipse's from being 0.3m away from the side wall and 0.5m in front of the front wall, to 1.5 metres away from the side and 1.0 ahead of the front. Massive difference - no booming bass (tighter, leaner and more focussed), more natural and defined mids and much clearer treble. No need for bass traps, and might have saved some money on cables....

Cheers,

G

Unfortunately the Eclipses are heading down south tomorrow so I won't have them to try out, a sad day :( .  I plan to get my hands on a pair of Gregs little Eos stand mounts at some point, planned to buy them as soon as I got rid of the Eclipses actually but I have a horrible feeling that there will be an insurance bill in my mail tomorrow so that may not happen.  One day I'll get them, maybe not tomorrow, but one day.

Do you like my self portrait?

Well your no oil painting that's for sure...

Well your no oil painting that's for sure...

Well yes, but that's because I specialized in watercolours. :D

Until the cold room guys finish this is what I have to "make do" with.  Until the ML1s go, then I'll put the S2Rs up.  Luckily the olds disappear for 3 days next week so I'll be able to listen to a bit of music.  Unluckily the lounge room is all tiles and glass, and Bletch!

post-130663-0-39256600-1373542545_thumb.

ellrotts has suggested that I set everything up on the patio (still under cover but 9 feet away from the wall of the house) and use the lawn and front paddock as my listening room, after all by the time a reflection has travelled 300m and back again it just looses interest in making life difficult for the listener.  I'm off to Townsville again tomorrow but come Saturday and Sunday those peewees, magpies and swallows (and occasionally an Ibis or two) are gunna get a performance they will never forget.

Guest Muon

Are you modding the Toppers?

Looks like an Air-Foil mod on the right one :D

Geese you have gone much larger than what you had. What a awesome setup that's going to be, and isolated from the house so your able to crank it up without annoying anyone.

Geese you have gone much larger than what you had. What a awesome setup that's going to be, and isolated from the house so your able to crank it up without annoying anyone.

Yep, it is going to be good, just like the last one but about 4 times the size (and probably 50% louder, although that has yet to be proven).

Are you modding the Toppers?

Looks like an Air-Foil mod on the right one :D

Ah yes, the air foil.  The aluminium top came off that topper as I pulled it out of the box (I obviously pulled it out of the box the wrong way).  This annoyed me at first but I came to like the idea pretty quickly.  I plan to use it in my later amp testing as so far only one amp has managed to make the air foil move on its "shock absorber" mount, and that is pretty impressive. No spoilers now though, I have to wait and see if the Bursons can manage the same trick.

Quick question to anyone who might have an answer.  Is there much difference to a listening room with a ceiling height of 7ft or 10ft?  Is one definitely better than the other?  Which should I actively pursue?

Well, a suggestion was made that I try listening to my stereo gear in the front yard.  And since I'm chaffing at the bit for the new room and climbing the walls due to the new room not being finished I thought I'd give it a go.  So, out on to the front porch went the Cayin, cd120 and ML1s.

post-130663-0-42488000-1373684899_thumb.

The sweet spot is just this side of that concrete edging that the Chinese lanterns are spread along.

How does it sound?  Absolutely awesome!   And the sweet spot at a range of around 9m is more than 5ft wide!!!!

There were a few issues though, first of all the range on the cd120 remote needs to be tripled (full points for the Cayin remote, worked a treat).  Secondly I need to remember to wear sunscreen, not used to needing that while listening to music.

post-130663-0-76214500-1373685011_thumb.

Thirdly play was delayed due to rain, again not usually an issue.  I noticed a little bit of reflection at one point, I had forgotten to treat the "room", not to worry, I soon took care of that.

post-130663-0-11761100-1373685212_thumb.

Now I was doing this listening in 15 to 25 knot winds so while some musical detail was undeniably lost it was amazing to notice just how much was retained. 

Fourthly the old Bro-in-law (my sister and her family live 250m away) turned up half way into the second song and threatened to put a bullet through me and my ML1s if I continued playing anything by Heart.  Everyone's a music critic!  I guess it'll be Dire Straits for the next session then.

I really :love love :love  this hobby!  There's just so much you can do with it!

Ooop, gotta go, the sun has come out again.

Classic!! I can just see the look on my mrs face if she came home and saw me doing this!

Brilliant view Cafad!

Will be looking forward to seeing the build project progress over the next few weeks! :popcorn:

Keep up with the photography you are getting better :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By att23
      Item: Hegel H200
      Price: $1850 (Local pickup prefer.  I can also deliver within reasonable distance.  I have boxes and packaging.)
      Item Condition: Good.  Works fine.  No damage or scratches.
      Reason for selling: Surplus
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, PayPal, Direct bank transfer. I will consider interstate buyer, who will pay postage, but obviously prefer local sale first. 
      Extra Info:
      I bought this from SNA member @trippinonprozac about 2 years ago just to try out a Hegel at cheap price based on all the great reviews online. I have since upgraded, so selling this at a lower price than what I paid so others can continue to enjoy this hobby.
      Well looked after in pet free, smoke free, kids free home. 
      I also noticed previous owner has upgraded with Furutech RCA connectors. 
      I can demo for serious buyer if you get back to me soonish, as I am gonna pack it away before Xmas time to free up space in my unit. 
      It also has HT bypass.

See Tech specs in photo below for all other info of interest:

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Cafad
      Item:  One Technical Brain TB-Zero/Int (integrated amp)
      Price:  $14,600 (including postage within Oz)
      Item Condition: Very good, no obvious scratches or marks.  Fully operational.
      Reason for selling:  I'm trying to consolidate my gear.  Thought I had a buyer for this amp but unfortunately that sale didn't end up happening so I thought I would list it officially and see what happens.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:  I have the original box.  Please note this amp does not have a remote control function.  
      More information available in the links below.  Note the Technical Brain website is in Japanese and will need translation.
      https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/251642-technical-brain-tb-zeroint-review/
      http://www.technicalbrain.co.jp/products_tb_zero_int.htmls
      https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/263126-terry-o-and-cafads-integrated-amp-challenge/page/4/

Pics:  

• By LyallJ
      Item: Luxman 505u Integrated Amp
      Price: 2500
      Item Condition: Excellent, mint condition
      Reason for selling: Purchased a Devialet 220
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only.
      Extra Info:
      Two things to note:
      - The remote is dodgy with its Volume control; over the years I have either changed volume manually or use an external DAC as preamp.

- I imported the 505u direct from Japan so it was assembled for the Japanese market and set to 100volt mains electricity. Therefore it comes with a Kashimura TI-20 step-up transformer (photos attached). There has never been any issue playing it here in Adelaide.
      The Luxman has been in daily use since July 2010. It has always worked well and given me great listening pleasure.

A User Manual and the original Brochure are attached. 
      The 505u has a phono input with both MM & MC selections.
      It can be used as a pre-amp only or power amp only.

The 505u weighs 21kg with dimensions: 467(W)x179(H)x437(D) mm. 
      The transformer weighs 4.5kg and its dimensions are 170x135x100mm.
      I will post both items if there is no buyer in Adelaide for pickup - postage costs would have to be checked and agreed to. 
      I still have the original box available for transportation.

Luxman L-505u manual.pdf Luxman L-505u Brochure.pdf
    • By olegau
      Item: Luxman L-509U Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $5900
      Item Condition: as new
      Reason for selling: need money  
      Extra Info:
      The highest-class model of LUXMAN  Integrated Amplifier.

I am one only owner. Bought new for $8000 in 2012
      The amp has never been repaired, works very well. No issues, can give a week warranty.
      The unit has never been loud more then 9am because I live in a flat and I like my neighbors.

Continuous effective output: 120W + 120W -8ohm   240W + 240W  4 ohm
      reproduction frequency: PHONO: 20Hz ~ 20,000Hz  0.5dB) LINE: 20Hz ~ 100kHz (+ 0, -3.0dB) 
      SN ratio: PHONO (MM): 91dB or more PHONO (MC): 75dB or more LINE: 107dB or more 

Dimension: W 467 x H 179 x D 435 mm
      Weight:  28 kg

Preferably Pickup

Also look  another my amp Sansui AU-a607DR amp for sale on this site.

• By Darkstar
      Item: Melody H34 Signature Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $1800
      Item Condition: 9/10
      Reason for selling: Surplus
      Extra Info:
       This is my very first amplifier into the world of tubes and valves. A lot of time and money was invested in tube rolling to get the right synergy out of the amplifier with the right tubes. Original valves have been replaced with Mullard reissue El34, Mullard 5AR4, Brimar 6SL7 and Ken Rad 6SN7. Over $600 worth of tubes there alone. Amplifier is in excellent condition for its age and presents itself beautifully in its deep piano black chassis. Will come with its original double boxes and manuals. Inspection and sound will not disappoint.

Extract from the internet

MELODY H34s ASTRO BLACK Favorite tube of many music lovers is the EL34 which excels at tone. The tonality of the EL34 makes it also popular with musicians using stringed instruments, especially guitars. The most popular amplifier in the Melody range and winner of many awards the Melody H34 Signature offers fantastic sound quality at a price that seems unbelievable. With a full size chassis in piano black finish and retro styling it is a statement product in quality and style. The 25mm thick front panel contains three large solid aluminum knobs which control power on/off, volume and four RCA inputs. The volume knob controls a stepped resistor array with 24 positions. This ensures precise channel matching and maximum sound fidelity. The power tubes are four EL34 which deliver 40 watts of effortless power. This allows it to drive a wide range of loudspeakers with ease. The input and driver tubes are 6SN7/6SL7 and the amplifier has full tube rectification provided by the 5AR4 tubes. All the internal wiring is done by hand point to point with no circuit boards at all. This is the traditional way to build a long lasting amplifier with maximum sound qualities. It permits easy servicing and parts replacement or upgrading which modern solid state circuits with surface mount devices to not allow. At the rear are three oversized and shielded transformers with a power transformer in the centre and an output transformer either side for the left and right channels. Melody’s know how has delivered an amplifier that is powerful, delicate and with a depth of tone that makes it very beguiling. This amplifier can be muscular at one minute yet delicate the next, extracting minute details from the music. The sound stage is wide and deep and the bass is extremely realistic. The bass however is not dry or truncated, like many transistor amplifiers. It delivers information in the bass registers with plenty of feeling. The H34 Signature is an amplifier that music lovers will enjoy, not only for its sound but for the unbeatable value it offers.

Power Output: 2 x 45W  
      Tubes: EL34 x 4, 6SN7 x 2, 6SL7 x 2, 5AR4 x 2  
      Frequency Response: 20Hz–20kHz  
      Input Impedance: 250 kOhms  
      Output Impedance: 4 Ohms, 8 Ohms  
      Input Sensitivity: 480mV  
      Signal to noise: 90dB  
      Harmonic Distortion: 1%  
      Dimensions: 430 W x 215 H x 410 D mm  
      Weight: 24 kg