That's coming along impressively fast.

Cold room panels mate, so easy to put up, so strong, so good at insulating, so many other things they are good for as well.  I'm surprised more people don't use them.  The fellow that owns the construction company was telling me that he has put up several recording studios made of the same or similar panels.  Also they have extremely good cyclone and storm survivability as they're strong and the structure can flex slightly.

Personally I think they're better than spice racks!

post-130663-0-52892800-1373448256_thumb.

The blocks of concrete where the compressors used to be, and will soon be occupied by a Fujitsu compressor of slightly lower power rating.

post-130663-0-49614500-1373448350_thumb.

The back of the small cold room which will soon become the front of the new flat/listening room.  You can't tell from this pick but it faces the river.

post-130663-0-92510000-1373448687_thumb.                       post-130663-0-85100700-1373448784_thumb.           post-130663-0-89640200-1373448879_thumb.

post-130663-0-05874300-1373449325_thumb.

And a few pics of ML1s for Blakey.

And I'll go and see just how good this little canon powershot A4000 is at taking pics in the dark.

• Like 1

This little Canon camera is awesome in the dark.  Check out these shots.

post-130663-0-88860500-1373449611_thumb.                       post-130663-0-04557900-1373449742_thumb.                 post-130663-0-65435900-1373449906_thumb.

post-130663-0-50513700-1373450024_thumb.                       post-130663-0-11255200-1373450111_thumb.                  post-130663-0-62471200-1373450202_thumb.

It's taking shape pretty quickly.  Walls and ceiling should be done tomorrow and then they start cutting holes for windows.  After that I have to start cutting holes for power points and then we call in a carpenter or two for the internal stuff.

post-130663-0-50465900-1373450297_thumb.                       post-130663-0-46288600-1373450394_thumb.

And the poop deck, the darkness is where the land drops away into the river.  I'll try to remember to get a pic of that same area in the daylight tomorrow.

post-130663-0-67835900-1373450501_thumb.

Nice purple puppies.

They are meant to be gloss black, I guess they are reflecting a bit of the red and orange folders and bags lying about.  Do you like my self portrait?  Check out pic number three.  Great finish on these ML1s.

They are meant to be gloss black, I guess they are reflecting a bit of the red and orange folders and bags lying about.  Do you like my self portrait?  Check out pic number three.  Great finish on these ML1s.

It is half a self portrait.

What is it with those soft toys in picture 2 -  your inner child? :nana , sorry couldnt help myself. All the best with the reno

Hope it goes well and that you will be able to listen to stuff soon. 

Thanks JV, those two little bears are presents for my Parents, or were many, many years ago (15, 20, maybe more).  The have "Best Mum" printed on the yellow one and "Best Dad" on the purple one and they have sat on the dining room table now for a very long time.

I would post a few more pics but the guys have only finished the walls and ceilings and are cutting out windows and doors so it doesn't look like much happened today.  Well..., maybe I will later tonight, if I get bored enough.

Don't know if you'll still have the Osborns by the time the new cave is completed, but I'll bet they will soundly vastly different away from the back and side walls. I did a complete relocation of my entire entertainment room (after some advice from Greg O) and moved my Eclipse's from being 0.3m away from the side wall and 0.5m in front of the front wall, to 1.5 metres away from the side and 1.0 ahead of the front. Massive difference - no booming bass (tighter, leaner and more focussed), more natural and defined mids and much clearer treble. No need for bass traps, and might have saved some money on cables....

Cheers,

G

Unfortunately the Eclipses are heading down south tomorrow so I won't have them to try out, a sad day :( .  I plan to get my hands on a pair of Gregs little Eos stand mounts at some point, planned to buy them as soon as I got rid of the Eclipses actually but I have a horrible feeling that there will be an insurance bill in my mail tomorrow so that may not happen.  One day I'll get them, maybe not tomorrow, but one day.

Until the cold room guys finish this is what I have to "make do" with.  Until the ML1s go, then I'll put the S2Rs up.  Luckily the olds disappear for 3 days next week so I'll be able to listen to a bit of music.  Unluckily the lounge room is all tiles and glass, and Bletch!

post-130663-0-39256600-1373542545_thumb.

ellrotts has suggested that I set everything up on the patio (still under cover but 9 feet away from the wall of the house) and use the lawn and front paddock as my listening room, after all by the time a reflection has travelled 300m and back again it just looses interest in making life difficult for the listener.  I'm off to Townsville again tomorrow but come Saturday and Sunday those peewees, magpies and swallows (and occasionally an Ibis or two) are gunna get a performance they will never forget.

• Like 1

Geese you have gone much larger than what you had. What a awesome setup that's going to be, and isolated from the house so your able to crank it up without annoying anyone.

Geese you have gone much larger than what you had. What a awesome setup that's going to be, and isolated from the house so your able to crank it up without annoying anyone.

Yep, it is going to be good, just like the last one but about 4 times the size (and probably 50% louder, although that has yet to be proven).

Are you modding the Toppers?

Looks like an Air-Foil mod on the right one :D

Ah yes, the air foil.  The aluminium top came off that topper as I pulled it out of the box (I obviously pulled it out of the box the wrong way).  This annoyed me at first but I came to like the idea pretty quickly.  I plan to use it in my later amp testing as so far only one amp has managed to make the air foil move on its "shock absorber" mount, and that is pretty impressive. No spoilers now though, I have to wait and see if the Bursons can manage the same trick.

Quick question to anyone who might have an answer.  Is there much difference to a listening room with a ceiling height of 7ft or 10ft?  Is one definitely better than the other?  Which should I actively pursue?

Well, a suggestion was made that I try listening to my stereo gear in the front yard.  And since I'm chaffing at the bit for the new room and climbing the walls due to the new room not being finished I thought I'd give it a go.  So, out on to the front porch went the Cayin, cd120 and ML1s.

post-130663-0-42488000-1373684899_thumb.

The sweet spot is just this side of that concrete edging that the Chinese lanterns are spread along.

How does it sound?  Absolutely awesome!   And the sweet spot at a range of around 9m is more than 5ft wide!!!!

There were a few issues though, first of all the range on the cd120 remote needs to be tripled (full points for the Cayin remote, worked a treat).  Secondly I need to remember to wear sunscreen, not used to needing that while listening to music.

post-130663-0-76214500-1373685011_thumb.

Thirdly play was delayed due to rain, again not usually an issue.  I noticed a little bit of reflection at one point, I had forgotten to treat the "room", not to worry, I soon took care of that.

post-130663-0-11761100-1373685212_thumb.

Now I was doing this listening in 15 to 25 knot winds so while some musical detail was undeniably lost it was amazing to notice just how much was retained. 

Fourthly the old Bro-in-law (my sister and her family live 250m away) turned up half way into the second song and threatened to put a bullet through me and my ML1s if I continued playing anything by Heart.  Everyone's a music critic!  I guess it'll be Dire Straits for the next session then.

I really :love love :love  this hobby!  There's just so much you can do with it!

Ooop, gotta go, the sun has come out again.

• Like 13

Had to give the front yard performance a repeat with the SPL meter in hand.  Ambient noise was a bugger at 50 to 55 with occasional swings up above 60db but I could get 85db out of the ML1s with the Cayin's volume knob at 1 o'clock.  Not bad!

As a bit of a bonus, I found that the cd 120's remote works quite well at a range of 10m provided there is no bright sunlight getting in the way. 

• Like 1